Pirate Bar Tops

Ahoy Mates,

After a short (ok it was sort of long) hiatus due to the birth of our first little crew member we are back and ready to do some honest Piratin'.

First thing's first we must get our ship sea-worthy. I don't believe I've mentioned this yet on these boards but for the past 2 years we've been remodeling out not-so-finished basement into a Pirate-themed living area and bar. The project was tentatively "completed" last year. I say tentatively because last week while sitting around the bar (which I was less then happy with) a crewman mentioned an idea he had for building a better bar. One more suited towards true pirate bashes.

A few (camera phone) pics so you get an idea:

2010-08-29%2018.55.48.jpg

The front half

2010-08-29%2018.56.32.jpg

The stairway

2011-01-27%2017.12.21.jpg

The soon to be bar.

However I have run into one Major Design Issue! I'm not sure what to do with the bar top. As you can see the room is lacking in color (although that will definitely change with decoration) However I don't think I want to go with a wood looking top. I thought of making a black top and staining the bar base. The issue is I would like to use this surface to do some of my leatherwork too so I need something sturdy and don't want to use tile in fear of breaking them.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Obviously cost is an issue (I've already dropped a few grand on this project. But we can build just about anything.

Once the bar is done I'll post more pictures and a full review of the basement/bar.

Capn Antonio Malasses

It's been said "Never Trust a Skinny Chef" I say "Never Trust a Sober Pirate"

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

When I was doing my Delorean-themed kitchen, I wanted a leathery-looking counter-top, although obviously not one actually made of leather. I found a reasonable and simple solution - Formica! The one I used is called 3690 Basalt Slate. It is textured on the top and that with the gray streaks give a sort of leathery look. They may have other colors and styles as well (My preference would be for deep brown rather than black leather for a pirate-themed room - in fact, it was in my pirate-themed living room - but that may just be me.) You can get a sample of the Formica top for cheap on the page to which I just linked you.

If you were to wrap a real leather from the bottom of the bar, over the sides and tuck it into the Formica, I'll bet you'd be quite pleased with the resulting look. I was - it's very unique.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I had a counter top made for ours at the Home Depot, they even installed it, for $350.....the install was easy, but since they included it I went with it.....

I will get more pics of the new counter top, It sits on the wall as a bar.....the actual counter top around the sink is white ceramic tiles

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

The arch was alot of fun!!

Edited by wes1761

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Wow, that arch looks really cool. I was going to tear all the lathe plaster off one of my bedroom walls and expose the brick underneath, but the cost of doing everything involved was too much, so I decided against it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Wow, that arch looks really cool. I was going to tear all the lathe plaster off one of my bedroom walls and expose the brick underneath, but the cost of doing everything involved was too much, so I decided against it.

It's easier to get thin brick facings to add to walls. Our kitchen has some of those.

That looks AWESOME!!!

We ended up doing a black marble tile look. Right now we're working on the molding then it's on to staining and painting. It looks REALLY nice so far. More pics when it's done.

Capn Antonio Malasses

AYE! We should get each person who's redesigned a room, their backyard or their whole house in a pirate theme to do an mini-sode for our own version of "Cribs". We can call it "Cabins" or "Quarters" LOL!

Capn Antonio Malasses

• 5 months later...

I added some updated pics of The B-Low Deck Bar into my gallery. Still a few things I want to do including adding taps into the barrels for my homebrew and some decorating. But all that will happen with time.

Check out my gallery If you are interested.

Capn Antonio Malasses

Edited by Capn Antonio Malasses