Hawaii Sounds Good...

imadrunkenpirate

I've been there twice. The last time this past summer. Hotter than Phoenix on the fourth of July. They don't believe in air conditioning their condos there. They have the "trade winds". My arse, there were no trade winds blowing this year. Sea was a flat as a mirror.

The time before that, I was scheduled to be at the Sheraton Poipu Beach resort....the week before I was due to arrive..Hurrican Iniki demolished it. Ended up on Maui in an "currently being remodeled" Aston towers. NOT HAPPY.

The moral of the story be...Hawaii, as does most islands, has very unpredictable weather. Bet on it. :ph34r:

Sides, I'm partial to the caribbean. I love to "duty-free" shop. :ph34r:

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

If you're on a tight budget, I wouldn't really reccomend Hawaii. It is beyond beautiful, but it's American and it has its price. Amazing seas, though, crystal clear waters with clean, fine white sand.

The Caribbean actually might be a bit cheaper, depending on how long you stay, where you go and how long. Try looking at Mexico, too! Cheeeap.

Captain Wolfy Wench

The caribbean be cheaper for you than Hawaii, with you being in Chicago area. There be regional airlines flying down to Orlando area for a competitive price. From there ye can drive down to the keys or take a low cost cruise.

The caribbean being more expensive "flight wise" for us on the West coast. About a grand a person if ye don't plan ahead. Hawaii on the other hand costs less for us (as low as $200 sometimes) and we have direct flights (yep, straight from Phoenix to the Islands.)

As far as accommodations go, that I don't know. I spent a week at a condo (2 bd, 2 bath - extra kid slept on couch) and spent the same amount for a beach house in santa cruz, ca (3bd, 2 bath). So I guess it is more expensive. I cruised the caribbean, so I didn't have to worry about accommodations, cooking or cleaning. This is probably why I prefer the caribbean. There is only one cruise line for the Hawaiian Islands and it isn't very good (no a/c).

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Hawaii is a most excellent u.s. based destination.Great beaches, food, etc... That said, it is very limited for owners of sailboats. Traditionally not a sailing peoples, there are few harbors or ship-friendly waters other than Honolulu. Ali Wai yacht harbor sucks outright, So..make mine the Carribean also...

Stand Down, and ye may just live...

• 3 weeks later...