Pirates stealing/plundering clothing

oderlesseye

This story obviously happened later than GAOP so if there are any other accounts that you know of that are closer to period..Eye would like to know about it because it is something that could be reenacted.

*************************************************************************************************

Purusing the referernce shelves Red Maria found this 18thc. (Yes an actual 18thc. periodcal and it isn''t in rare books) the periodical's title is:

The annual register, or a view of the history, politicks, and literature, for the year 1758

There was the following entires:

Aug 6, 1758 the lords of the admiralty received information that a Dutch ship, having onboard the baggage of the Marquis de Pignatelly, minister from the court of Spain to the court of Denmark, and several of his domestics, was on the 30th of June last, boarded three times, by the crews three different English privateers; that some of the crews armed with cutlasses, pistols, and hatchets, forced open the hatchways, and went into the said ship's hold, and there broke open tow trunks belonging to the Marquis de Pignatelly, wherein there were rich clothes and laced liveries, which they carried away to their ship: and that whilst they were so doing the crew of another English vessel joined upon which said crews committed very great outrages, by breaking open all said Marquis de Pigmatelly's cases, and trunks, and taking and carrying away all valuable effects, which were in six of the said cases and trunks, and destroying or damaging the rest of those effect; and then falling upon his, said minister's officers, beat them in a very cruel and shameful manner , and stripping them of their clothes, carried them off, together with their letter of credit and a bill of exchange. Their lordships, therefore, in order to bring to justice the persons guilty of the piratical offences above mentioned, are pleased to promise a reward of 5ool. Without any deduction, unto or amongst such person or persons as shall, within three months from this time, discover any two or more of the offenders, concerned in committing the piracies mentioned above

Aug 16, 1758 A captain of a privateer was taken into custody of the marshal of the admiralty, near the Royal Exchange, on an information for committing several outrages on neutral vessels in the British channel.

Aug 17, 1758 Come on at the high court of admiralty before Sir George Lee, Knight, several trials with regard to Dutch and Danish ships taken by our privateers; and it appearing to the satisfaction of the court, that their cargoes were French property, four were condemned as legal prizes; and the court gave orders that the freights of three of them should be paid, and the ships set at liberty; but a Dutch vessel taken by the Hawk privateer, and carried to Gibraltar, had both ship and cargo condemned; she is a very valuable prize

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Yes nice find Oderlesseye. Too bad you didn't say you got it from me. That it is from a book at the Huntington Library where I work.

Red Maria

This story obviously happened later than GAOP so if there are any other accounts that you know of that are closer to period..Eye would like to know about it because it is something that could be reenacted.

*************************************************************************************************

Purusing the referernce shelves I found this 18thc. (Yes an actual 18thc. periodcal and it isn''t in rare books) the periodical's title is:

The annual register, or a view of the history, politicks, and literature, for the year 1758

There was the following entires:

Aug 6, 1758 the lords of the admiralty received information that a Dutch ship, having onboard the baggage of the Marquis de Pignatelly, minister from the court of Spain to the court of Denmark, and several of his domestics, was on the 30th of June last, boarded three times, by the crews three different English privateers; that some of the crews armed with cutlasses, pistols, and hatchets, forced open the hatchways, and went into the said ships hold, and there broke open tow trunks belonging to the Marquis de Pignatelly, wherein there were rich clothes and laced liveries, which they carried away to their ship: and that whilst they were so doing the crew of another English vessel joined upon which said crews committed very great outrages, by breaking open all said Marquis de Pigmatellys cases, and trunks, and taking and carrying away all valuable effects, which were in six of the said cases and trunks, and destroying or damaging the rest of those effect; and then falling upon his, said ministers officers, beat them in a very cruel and shameful manner , and stripping them of their clothes, carried them off, together with their letter of credit and a bill of exchange. Their lordships, therefore, in order to bring to justice the persons guilty of the piratical offences above mentioned, are pleased to promise a reward of 5ool. Without any deduction, unto or amongst such person or persons as shall, within three months from this time, discover any two or more of the offenders, concerned in committing the piracies mentioned above

Aug 16, 1758 A captain of a privateer was taken into custody of the marshal of the admiralty, near the Royal Exchange, on an information for committing several outrages on neutral vessels in the British channel.

Aug 17, 1758 Come on at the high court of admiralty before Sir George Lee, Knight, several trials with regard to Dutch and Danish ships taken by our privateers; and it appearing to the satisfaction of the court, that their cargoes were French property, four were condemned as legal prizes; and the court gave orders that the freights of three of them should be paid, and the ships set at liberty; but a Dutch vessel taken by the Hawk privateer, and carried to Gibraltar, had both ship and cargo condemned; she is a very valuable prize

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Red Maria ~~~~~ eye edited the post to give the credit were it is due...

Eye Saw this on the other site so Eye thought it be nice to share it here..

Sorry if you think Eye stole it or worse.. Was not really my intention though Eye can't help myself..eagh eagh ~

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Hmmm.... loving this. It's information like this that only solidifies my thoughts and theories. Such as taking attire or fabrics. Either to use personally or to turn around and sell. :P

Keep it up! Hope someone finds more!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Red Maria ~~~~~ eye edited the post to give the credit were it is due...

Eye Saw this on the other site so Eye thought it be nice to share it here..

Sorry if you think Eye stole it or worse.. Was not really my intention though Eye can't help myself..eagh eagh ~

That's OK Eye. You meant well.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Is there a digital document of the actual periodocal or maybe just the article?

I transcribed it verbatum (sans long s) from the book itself. I thought it would be more readable for modern readers. As too getting a digital image of the actual article, the Huntington has strict policies about that and I wouldn't be able to do it. There's a book here of watercolors early 18th c. of ships flags (including on black flag with skull and cross bones dated 1704 and a flag that looks like Tew's that I think is earlier)that I can't even post to friends. I just have high res photos of two of them (and only allowed two photos). I am so sorry I can't post them but that's institutional policy. If we ever meet at an event I'll show them to anyone.

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency