Cinquedea

Privateer Armoury

Beautiful!

Tell me more about it, please!

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

The Cinquedea was a short sword popular in northern Italy in the 1400-1600's, it was used primarily as a cutting weapon and carried in a horizontal position near the small of the back.

This piece is hand crafted.

The blade is 1/16" Swedish 15N20 steel.

The hilt is mild steel welded to the blade.

Double crossing fencier's knots cover the hardwood grip.

The technical specs are:

PoB: 3.5"

Pivot: 13.5"

CoP: 12.5"

SN: -1"

In other words it handles rather nicely for a short cutting sword.

(and the price is around $300)

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

Ben Potter, Bladesmith Privateer Armoury Going Afloat Blog

Hey Ben. I am curious as to why you feel this is a cinquedea. Other then the over size of the piece I dont see much to lead me that way.

To me at minimum the blade would need much more taper. Wider at the shoulders and more narrow at the point.

I also always thought that "5 fingers" meant 5 fullers wide at the base. I have later found that it just means fives fingers wide at the shoulder and that not all models had 5 fullers. However, almost all examples are fullered. Some with 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then one down the blade. Some start with 3 at the base and some are single fullers. I have even soon some historical examples of raised ridges instead of fullers.

The guard is also one that I have never seen on a cinq. Some have the basic droop shape like yours but most see the classic "V" guard in their head when they hear cinquedea.

I would also make the handle to blade ratio different. if you look at historical examples the handles always look too small for the blades. Also maybe a wheel pommel would help.

I am in no way trying to pick on you. I am a fan of your work. I just dont see Cinquedea at all when I look at this piece.

I would normally never post anything like this but I am kind of a cinquedea fan and have researched them alot over the years.

I look forward to hearing your inspiration for naming it this.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

For the most part I would agree with you Matt that this in not a typical example of a cinquedea.

The reason I call it a Cinquedea is that is what the customer wanted. He gave me the dimensions for it and specified the grip style and pommel type, and no fullers. I tried to reconcile the specs to the historical pieces but you can only get so far towards five fingers when the blade width is specified at 2".

I will, Lord willing, do a more historically accurate cinquedea in the future (with the wider blade, fullers, classic bone grips, V-guard and V pommel).

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

Ben Potter, Bladesmith Privateer Armoury Going Afloat Blog

Well then. I couldnt think of a better reason to call it or make it the way you did. Someone paid you to do so. I have certainly done that more times then I would like to admit in my lifetime.

Its a neat lil short sword. Didnt mean to reflect otherwise. Just didnt read cinq to me.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

And when you make a real one, would you post it here too? Yes, I admit, I am collecting blades, especially from here :rolleyes: I asked permission in some threads to save a cutlass, navaja or whatever.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-