Beginner Leather worker.

AlexRoberts

So im learning how to leather work. Going to be making belts,sheaths,bracelets, and a bunch of other things.

I was wondering if there are tutorials or what tools are good to be starting with.

Tools i have -

Rubber mallet

Paint Scraper sharpened to do tracing

Etching Knife

Beveler

Trying to go the cheap route just to start before i sell any thing.

sig1-2.png

Piracy is freedom

You learn by choosing small projects and go bigger as your confidence increases.

buy a low priced shoulder (tooling leather) and don't be afraid to throw away first attempts

Ask questions at the tandy leather store like how do I use this tool, or "How would I do this...?" They are usually very helpful in hopes of selling tools.

Don't go crazy buying leather stamps, even tho they are relatively cheap, I find I used them starting out but rarely use them anymore (except for background texture).

If you are artistic at all and have basic hand skills - you will learn fast and be pretty happy with the outcome

Get the basic tools first:

A work surface

rawhide hammer (rubber bounces all over)

a selectable hole punch for buckles, snaps, rivets etc

rivet setter

swivel knife for designs (and tracing paper)

strap cutter,slicker and creaser for belts

a good utility knife with replaceable razor blades

You will use these tools over and over - buy quality as you can afford it.

This is mostly what I use, along with a few basic stamps for background texture

At some point a quality set of Shears is worth the investment too.

Have fun - make stuff you like for yourself first, if ye end up throwing a few away - at least there is no pressure from a paying customer...

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Depending on what projects you want to start with, you might want saddle needles (they have rounded points so you prick your fingers less), and a good diamond profile awl (for punching your stitching holes), and a "groover" for making those even grooves to put your stitching holes in, and a rotary tool for marking even marks for your stitching.

Your best bet is two decide on a beginning project and ask your local Tandy rep (or post here) for advice!

But most importantly, please share your projects here, good, bad, and okay... Sharing projects is a great war to learn as people will ask how you did it, and more than likely offer alternative suggestions, or share how they made a similar project. Good luck!

Michael_banner.jpg

Making Bracelets first bought some snaps and some studs and going to buy a stamping tool for boreders.

I'll take pictures soon. My camera died and is out of batteries. There is a dts leather store that sells tandys leather stuff.

They are really cool and teach me as i go. They let me use any tools they got.

I will be buying more as a i progres, im addicted already.

I suck at it but i use to draw and paint alil so maybe i can get good at this.

What kind of work surface should i get? I heard marble is pretty good.

Edited by AlexRoberts

sig1-2.png

Piracy is freedom

Suggestion? Get a scrap piece of marble countertop from a shop (often given away free) and attach a thin piece of leather to the top with 3M spray cement: decent weight and protects your edges.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Sounds like i shall be doing that. I have my almost finished my first bracelet. The snaps don't look right at all.

just use the snap holes and a piece of lacing to tie em together.

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

I have some really old leatherworking books around here somewhere. If I can dig them up are you interested? Also, look for Books of Buckskinning, they have some patterns and instructions for building stuff like belt-bags and portmanteaus.

Also, I second Jim's suggestion, ask a local building center if they have dropped one recently they'd like to part with cheap, AND get a white plastic kitchen board. I have both and several pieces of pine 1X12 for different tasks. I been doin leather work since I started riding horses about forty years ago.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I'll see if I can remember to dig them up this weekend, then I'll let you know what they are and what they cover. One I remember is an old Tandy book with several different projects, from wallets to thermos covers to a saddle, I don't remember what the other one is but I'll look for them and you can have them if you want.

Bo