what makes a pirate

pirate tiny

Glad ye came to th' Pub, Tiny. Tis no better place ye could venture upon. Many here I'm sure could offer many answers.

Tis a general, wide-ranged question.

Could be hope, want, or desire for something better, the call of adventure, our own point of view, replicate what we saw from a movie or tv show, The joy of impersonating history to teach and learn, the mystery of something found that was once lost...

It's a large number of possibilities, all with so many different answers from every single person. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

If you're looking for a definition (as opposed to a description), I think the best response I've ever seen is here in this post, where I got my Patrick Hand original hat handed to me in no uncertain terms. :D

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Glad ye came to th' Pub, Tiny. Tis no better place ye could venture upon. Many here I'm sure could offer many answers.

Tis a general, wide-ranged question.

Could be hope, want, or desire for something better, the call of adventure, our own point of view, replicate what we saw from a movie or tv show, The joy of impersonating history to teach and learn, the mystery of something found that was once lost...

It's a large number of possibilities, all with so many different answers from every single person. :)

~Lady B

I do like your reply, my dear. Partially for what it says and partially as it puts it in the present as well as a past.

I'd like to add: an understanding of your Brethren, your location and your surroundings, as it is a community. Like any cultural based group and history/fantasy/fiction focused interest, it has to exist inside a larger scope of life. Being a pirate and presenting a pirate are two different things. If you are being then you would have to ask a modern day pirate. If you are presenting then it is up to the ones you are presenting to and to those you trust your presentation with. So.. For me.

What is above is wonderful (Thank you Lady B- Such grace) but add.... Being a pirate is finding the correct audience and the correct combination of images, in order to educate, inspire and motivate those around you, no matter what age. And on top of that.. Being a crew is giving the impression that your don't always get along (so that kids can learn that people don't always get along and so adults can relate) but somehow you work it out in the end. THEN applying that to the real life you co-exist in. And since piracy is based in democracy, this would make sense. Break the rules, over you go. Work it out, stay on board. Good lesson to teach kids.

I suppose I can't stop thinking like an actor/performer. I've been doing this for a very long time.

:ph34r:

Still enjoying it and still making it work so I guess it's all right.

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

Well i sat at this comp and think to myself what makes a pirate and then that candle comes on and i come to this forum and post it here to see what you all have to say.

Your

Pirate tiny

Depends....A real pirate would thirst to survive of what he can get at waters. A reenactor would love to portray something they long for.

Then you get the people who dress up just for the fun which can be for representing freedom or for the love of it.

I myself dress up not exactly like a pirate but i mix it with modern day clothes if i had death date im going to die a fantastic death not your normal daily death.

sig1-2.png

Piracy is freedom

What makes a pirate? Self-employment vs. unemployment.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Committing robbery at sea. ;)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

What makes a pirate? Self-employment vs. unemployment.

Oh I LIKE that. Can that also apply to an artist?

:blink:

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

What makes a pirate are his mommy and daddy. :blink:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

1. living for the day

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

A pirate; first and foremost is absolutely fearless and cowers to no one. He moves through his life's work and journey as if nobody or nothing caged his soul. He is a renegade and answers to no one...not even a vicious god he cannot see. In his mind he is his own God. His own north star who is focused on liberating himself from conventional notions. A pirate is a man who does contain a moral compass and creates pathways of freedom not fear. He understands his masculinity and power and uses it as an umbrella to protect those who cannot protect themselves. His passion is unbridled. A pirate is an adventurer not a caged animal; although women try to cage him and weaken his inherit strength he refuses to be caged and brought to his knees. A weak spineless man is to be tossed out and trampled but a pirate mans backbone is fused to invisible titanium and will not bend--he will die first rather than give up the essence of what makes him a man.