What a beautiful gun!

Beowoulf

Italy and Spain were the 2 main sources of miquelet locks during the GAoP roughly with much od the med (northern africa) developing similar miquelet locks at a later date. The Italian pieces typically employed a main spring that pushed down onthe foreward piece of the cock. The Spanish locks typically pushed up on the back of the cock. I am currently working on reproducing an Italian piece that is comparable.

Swab

id.jpg

Italy and Spain were the 2 main sources of miquelet locks during the GAoP roughly with much od the med (northern africa) developing similar miquelet locks at a later date. The Italian pieces typically employed a main spring that pushed down onthe foreward piece of the cock. The Spanish locks typically pushed up on the back of the cock. I am currently working on reproducing an Italian piece that is comparable.

Swab

Pictures!! :D

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

That particular one in the picture is one of the non-firing die cast replicas by Denix. I would love to see a functional reproduction available. I always thought the miquelet locks were exotic looking. I plan to keep an eye open for the results of Vintagesailor's efforts. He produces some interesting pieces.....

>>>>> Cascabel

Here it is also...

My link

and here My link

I also red somewhere that it''s used in a other movie then the Pirates of the Caribien...

Lets see if i can find it again...

Yes it was, Barbossa's pistol was the same gun used by Doug Brown in Cutthroat Island.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

heres the actual miquelet lock pistol that Barbossa used:

678(1).jpg

http://www.tortugatr...Singapore+Scene

Actually, Barbossa's pistol was a little different, the buttcap was shaped like a skull for opn thing, and It had a lot of elegant silver fixtures on black wood

Edited by Commodore Greyhound

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

That particular one in the picture is one of the non-firing die cast replicas by Denix. I would love to see a functional reproduction available. I always thought the miquelet locks were exotic looking. I plan to keep an eye open for the results of Vintagesailor's efforts. He produces some interesting pieces.....

>>>>> Cascabel

Thats putting it nicely, the one Im going to reproduce in time is a pistol that is most likely a pistol built in Brescia and built for export. I have most of the pieces close to being ready to start taking molds off of which will be the first step.

id.jpg

The Commodore is correct. Neither of these pistols were used by Barbossa, and I'm pretty sure neither were even used in the PotC films. Leastways, I never saw them. Barbossa's, as was very correctly mentioned above, was the same pistol used for Dawg Brown in Cutthroat Island. Holywood loves to recycle props.

However, these ARE beautiful pistols! The first is a little more ornate than I'd personally fancy (just because it seems to say "fake" to me), but there are historical examples of pistols with similarly ornate carvings and inlays. As far as replicas go, it's not bad. I rather like the Denix stuff being put out, for the most part.

The second one, now that's bloody gorgeous! The miquet lock is a really unique look. Does anyone know how functional it was, vs. a "typical" European flintlock design?

678(1).jpg

Actually, Barbossa's pistol was a little different, the buttcap was shaped like a skull for opn thing, and It had a lot of elegant silver fixtures on black wood

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

A well made Miquelet lock is every bit as reliable as a "standard" flintlock. The advantage to them is that with most of the works on the outside, there is a lot less wood removed from the stock in order to mount them, making for a stronger stock. If a stock gets broken, it usually breaks through the lock area, as a lot of strength is lost when inletting for tumbler, bridle, and especially the mainspring. Very nearly half of the wood is cut away in the lock area to clear these parts on a standard flintlock. The disadvantages to a Miquelet is the moving parts being on the outside, they are exposed to impact damage and being jammed by dirt and debris.

>>>>> Cascabel

678(1).jpg

Its the one he gives up in singapore at the beginning of the 3rd film. It can be seen in this you tube clip:

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Ah! It would appear you're dead right! I stand corrected sir!

678(1).jpg

Its the one he gives up in singapore at the beginning of the 3rd film. It can be seen in this you tube clip:

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow