the number 1 movie is

Captain Blood

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Favorite? Probably the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, which appears to take place in some early 18th c. alternate movie universe.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

In no particular order:

Waking Ned Devine,Young Frankenstein, The Princess Bride.

oops ...I misread ...hmmm historical fiction ...wellI suppose those three are "historical" fiction. hehe Well, maybe not Waking Ned Divine.

I think I would have to go with "Master and Commander"

Edited by Silkie McDonough

It is a 18th century period drama starring Ryan O'Neal and directed by Stanley Kubrick. I saw it in Montreal in 1975. I might think differently now, particularly in light of my piratin' hobby-but then I found it incredibly boring. (But hey- I was just a kid)...In fact Mad Magazine did a satire on it called Bore-y Lyndon. It had a particularly slow moving and repetitive score by Leonard Rosenman. But it did win Oscars for art direction, costume and aforementioned score.

I've thought of picking it up and having a look again. Certainly some of the scenes -if I recall correctly- were inspired by Hogarth's "the Rake's Progress"...and I would love to have a look at the costumes and sets again. I must have liked the score too- I remember I had it on 8 track.

Oh- and his character name was "Redmond" at some point, which is what O'Neill later named his son.

And it was based on a novel.

uh..ahem... I mean Arrrr!

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

In fact Mad Magazine did a satire on it called Bore-y Lyndon.

I so wanted to say "Bore-y Lyndon" after I saw Cascabel's response because that is exactly what it made me think of, but it seemed inappropriate. I should really see that movie instead of just relying on the satire to inform me.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I so wanted to say "Bore-y Lyndon" after I saw Cascabel's response because that is exactly what it made me think of, but it seemed inappropriate. I should really see that movie instead of just relying on the satire to inform me.

:D :D :D It may be a bit boring by today's standards, with not a whole lot of explosions, car chases, etc., but great costuming, a good story line, and some well researched period battle sequences, along with most scenes filmed using natural light.

>>>>> Cascabel

Oh, that reminds me...I really like the Sharpe's TV movies. Sean Bean is great in those.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Jumpin' Jimminy Crickets!

I ain't gonna even try to pick just one, let alone #1!

I certainly second Barry Lyndon.

And I add: The Libertine and Quills.

And I also like The Patriot a lot too, and Amazing Grace, and that BBC series about Horatio Hornblower.

Damn! No! I ain't gonna try to sort them out!

The 90's made for TV version of Treasure Island with Heston, Bale, Lee, Reed, Postlethwaite...

Always a good rainy day flick.

Jas. Hook :ph34r:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

:D:blink::lol: It may be a bit boring by today's standards, with not a whole lot of explosions, car chases, etc., but great costuming, a good story line, and some well researched period battle sequences, along with most scenes filmed using natural light.

>>>>> Cascabel

It really is more of a series of narrated illustrations than a regular movie. It looks great but very little happens in any scene.

Gotta go with Master and Commander. Also gotta love the 90's Bale/Heston Treasure Island, as well as the Curse of the Black Pearl. Those are probably my top 3. Though Kingdom of heaven is up there too (despite popular criticism).

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

For humorous pirate movies I'll toss in Swashbuckler and Yellowbeard.

Jas. Hook :P

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Too many to mention but some of the above plus (and apologies for duplicates)

Not a film but Black Adder the Third series =o) PMSL

Plunkett and McClain...Buggers with style daaaaaaaaaaarling!

Dangerous Liasons

Tom Jones (Albert Finney 1963ish)

The Libertine.

Brotherhood of the Wolf

My Left Moccasin...sorry, that should read Last of the Mohicans

Rob Roy

Amadeus

Pefume

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Yellowbeard

A Cock and Bull Story (a film about a film of Tristram Shandy)

Polanski's 'The Pyrates'

Wicked Lady

Cutthroat Island

Love the look of Barry Lydon but I've never managed to stay awake all the way through.......... and I do think Brayfart is a great big steaming pile of pooh and is an offense to all things Scottish. Gibson, what a twat!

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Perfume, definitely. Almost forgot that one.

And as for Braveheart, I've always felt folks were unnecessarily harsh in regards to that one. I mean, no, neither the costumery nor the specific sequence of events were precisely accurate. And yeah okay, Gibson went nuts and all - but that was years later, and in my opinion shouldn't retroactively detract from the quality of his previous work. All in all, I felt it was still a well-acted, compelling story, set in a period enjoyable to myself and many others. Got no major gripes.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

as for Braveheart, I've always felt folks were unnecessarily harsh in regards to that one. I mean, no, neither the costumery nor the specific sequence of events were precisely accurate

Okay mini rant here and it's not directed at you chap BUT

this film offends me on sooooooo many levels, as a historian and as someone that cares about my Scots heritage are just for starters

Close I could put up with, artistic licence I understand but FFS blue painted loons in skirts and hero harness? The blue paint is pure fantasy, the kilts are nigh on 300odd yrs out ( Think of PotC then give them uzis, combat trousers and Elizabethan ruffs and you'd still be closer to period the the pile of excrement that is brayfart) the sharpened tree trunks are utter bollocks and if you are going write a story that ignores the history why bother with...........

..GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! ...and breathe....never mind.

Biggest prob that people like me who are involved in education and the heritage industry have with bum-gravy like this is yet more hollywood crap to try and get out of peoples heads when trying to do pukka history presentations

And yeah okay, Gibson went nuts and all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cjeOKxnVB8

Calm now, I've had an effigy of gibson in his Conan.....sorry Wallace kit burnt =o) to appease the Gods =o)

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.