School of the 16th Century Soldier | St. Augustine, FL

willie wobble

School of the 16th Century

(Living History Schools/Workshops)

The annual School of the 16th Century will take place on the last weekend of January at the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park in St. Augustine. Encampment setup will occur on Friday, January 28. 16th century-related displays, demonstrations, training drills and interpretations will take place all day Saturday, January 29 and Sunday morning to early afternoon, January 30. This is the only Historic Florida Militia event at which visitors in non-period clothing (clothing must be made of all natural fibers for safety reasons) are welcomed to participate in educational and weapons training. This year's school will include a ladies' needlecraft practice and craft session. Encampment teardown will occur on Sunday afternoon after the event's conclusion. For additional information, contact Brian Bowman at (904) 824-9823 or by email at lobo13@bellsouth.net or Jeffrey Johnson at jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com. For information about the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park, visit http://www.fountainofyouthflorida.com/

Hope that I can make it! My boss has me traveling for work, but I hope that I can snag a weekend off to spend in Sunny St. Augustine.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

• 11 months later...

Jan 27-29, 2012: School of the 16th Century

The annual School of the 16th Century will take place on the last weekend of January at the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park in St. Augustine. Encampment setup will occur on Friday, January 27. 16th century-related displays, demonstrations, training drills and interpretations will take place all day Saturday, January 28 and Sunday morning to early afternoon, January 29. This is the only Historic Florida Militia event at which visitors in non-period clothing (clothing must be made of all natural fibers for safety reasons) are welcomed to participate in educational and weapons training. This year's school will include a ladies' needlecraft practice and craft session. Encampment teardown will occur on Sunday afternoon after the event's conclusion. For additional information, contact Brian Bowman at (904) 824-9823 or by email at lobo13@bellsouth.net , William Kunze at wskunze@gmail.com, or Jeffrey Johnson, jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com. For information about the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park, visit http://www.fountainofyouthflorida.com/.

• 2 weeks later...