The Sack of St Augustine: Robert Searle's raid of 1668

Sgt Johnson

In 1668 Capt. Robert Searle and his privateers sailed from Jamaica to loot the silver ingots held in the royal coffers at St. Augustine. Under cover of night, they slipped into the harbor and attacked the sleeping town...

We are always looking for new recruits to portray townspeople, garrison soldiers, Native Americans, and buccaneers! Our focus is on an accurate historical impression, using correct materials, styles, and equipment. You need not be a historian, actor, or military enthusiast to participate.

WARNING ORDER

The 13th annual, historical re-enactment of The Sack of St. Augustine: Capt. Robert Searle's Raid of 1668 will take place March 3rd-6th 2011, in St. Augustine, Florida. Camp setup will begin on Thursday March 3rd after 12pm at The Fountain of Youth Park. The battle in downtown St Augustine will be held on Saturday March the 5th at 5pm, starting in the city Plaza and ending at the Spanish redoubt located across from the Castillo de San Marcos.

PLEASE NOTE:

· This Event is a historical re-enactment. Historically accurate garb and gear are required to participate in this Event. Please contact Jeff Johnson or William Kunze to let us know that you are or any of your crewe will be joining us for the festivities

.No "skull and crossbone's" will be allowed. Not on Flags, clothing, or gear of any kind. There is no historical evidence of these standards flown in this time period.

· English buccaneers and Spanish soldados - musketeers are needed! Matchlock, snaphaunce ,doglock, and miquelet muskets will be accepted. Queen Anne pistols will be allowed. Research shows them being used as early as 1660.

· Native Americanre-enactors, doing Timucua, Apalachee, and Guale, are especially welcome!

· If you are a sutler and interested in selling period correct items at this Event, please contact me asap at jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com. There are no sutler fees!

· The Fountain of Youth Park has just completed a new addition to the park; a restroom and shower facility!

For further information, please e-mail us at jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com or call 904-534-6168, or see our website at www.searlesbucs.com

Please come join us!

Jeff Johnson

-Leftenant, -Quartermaster / Information Officer, Searle's Buccaneers(c. 1668)

--Leftenant of Musket, Capt. John Tilden'sCompanie, Prince Rupert's Regiment of Foote (c. 1645) [members, Sealed Knot UK]

--Leftenant of Musket /Quartermaster Gordon's Musketeers, Strathbogie Regiment (c. 1639 and 1644)

-Leftenant / Quartermaster,Drake's Men (c. 1586)

904-534-6168

E-mail: jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com

Edited by Sgt Johnson

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be there. May be to watch & learn.... Don't know how accurate my wooden peg is. But I'll be there.

There are all sorts of paintings and woodcuts from the 30 Years War of former soldiers with wooden legs.

If you have any links to them.....Please post.

I would love to see them......as a guide.

I'll be there. May be to watch & learn.... Don't know how accurate my wooden peg is. But I'll be there.

There are all sorts of paintings and woodcuts from the 30 Years War of former soldiers with wooden legs.

If you have any links to them.....Please post.

I would love to see them......as a guide.

Here is a beggar with a wooden leg and crutches by Jacques Callot.

For those of you that will be with us on Friday night we have a little something extra planned.We will be going downtown in the evening (5:30) to "march" down St. George St. This will be a precursor to the Saturday night battle.

We will be making announcements along the way, letting people know of the upcoming battle on Saturday night. When we reach the redoubt located by the old city gates we will have a chance to fire our muskets and pistols. (Not too much, we will save that for Saturday night!)

For this "march" we ask that everyone portray Spanish. So if anyone asks you on the street who you are, just reply Spanish townsfolk.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

Just my cursed luck that I have to work the first weekend of each month this year!

Hope that everyone has an excellent event, and I'll be there next year (God and my employer willing).

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants