Santa Maria - Pirate Weekend May 2011 -May 14 - 15

michaelsbagley

Well master Alan and I have discussed it and would like to attend your event if you would have us. Do you have a need of any particular display? Can we get a little room to swing our hammocs? Should I bring materials for fancy knotting? Or would a simple demonstration of general knot tying aboard ship be more in line with the spirit of this event?

Hey Carl! Glad to hear you're going to try and come! It will be great to see you and Alan again! (I know we'd see you at De Chartres in June, but this means we get to see you more!) Definitely bring your hammocs and we will save some hanging room for you! As for knotting stuff, bring either or both! Honestly either would be awesome, so bring what is easiest to transport would be my best advice. I am getting really stoked over this event, and it is still over four months away! This is looking to be the best one yet (but I always say that... ;) and am almost always right about it! ;) )

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More details to come, but you can find the "Spectators" Facebook page at this Link, the Spectator's Web Page at this link, and most importantly for those of you who wish to join us as re-enactors or pirate entertainers, the participants web page at this link. We are toying with the idea of a "Partipants" Facebook (group?) page, as just about everyone who comes uses Facebook, whereas not all particpants are Pyracy "pubbers" (shame on them!). :blink: I'll share the link when it is created (or whoever sets it up will). This Facebook group page will be for those seriously considering coming only, and an all business page, or at least mostly business anyways (if we do it). If we do this, it is not to be exclusionary or secretive, but to keep available information accessible to the majority of the participants, and not buried due to idle chat and banter (as is what happens on forums sometimes).

As of this posting I have not updated the 2011 dates on the web pages yet (although I hope to get that done soon).

Also, I am now officially fishing for donations for the May 2011 Santa Maria edition of the Dead Man's Chest auction. I have a couple of great ideas for items I will be donating, here's hoping others are feeling as generous as well!

We are thinking of making a few changes in the way visitors are handled. Last time the weekend was so popular that the tours were too large. With PoTC coming out a few days after our event, I expect this to be a big weekend. We will probably let visitors wonder around the ship at their own pace instead of being part of a big groups. This gives the reenactors more chances to interact with the public a few at a time (too bad pirates are notoriously shy). I assume that we can coax Mission to set up his surgeon display. If anyone else would like to set up a display, let me know and we can reserve some space for you.

Mark

Also, if anyone wants to help present my displays of weapons and navigational equipment instead of bringing their own, that would also be appreciated.

Also, if anyone wants to help present my displays of weapons and navigational equipment instead of bringing their own, that would also be appreciated.

I can be Vanna White....

only if you wear a low cut evening dress...maddogge will prolly bring a few for you to try on... heck, he looks good in them... no reason why it shouldn't be the same for you...

only if you wear a low cut evening dress...maddogge will prolly bring a few for you to try on... heck, he looks good in them...

:D

Uh...Silas...I think you forgot to specify the name of the alternate universe in which this was true.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I shan't be able to make this one (again. Unless I win the lottery) but shall spread the word to the Resurrection crew and hopefully someone or two may attend.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

wow mission !! i was being nice to maddoge about his...uh.... "hobby"...

:D

Walk_the_Plank_Wet_Dogge_small_madPete.jpg

(Photo by madPete)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

There's sort of one of Jenny on this page of the first Santa Maria Surgeon's Journal.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mark, does ut specifically have to be from the most recent Santa Maria event? Jessica went through her photos last night and could not find one... but I think there may be a photo(s) from previous ones... and are you looking for just cooking? Or cooking ON the ship? As we have been using park space for most of the cooking for the last few events.

Michael_banner.jpg

Mark, does ut specifically have to be from the most recent Santa Maria event? Jessica went through her photos last night and could not find one... but I think there may be a photo(s) from previous ones... and are you looking for just cooking? Or cooking ON the ship? As we have been using park space for most of the cooking for the last few events.

It needs to be cooking on the ship. It would have to be an earlier year. Last year we cooked on shore. I have some nice pictures of that but it isn't what Linda needs.

• 1 month later...

Just a bump here to point out the thread on the auction....

Also to let folks know that there is some small work going on to mix things up a little for this event. We're likely not changing much of the parts that people like, but more adding small things to expand and make the event a bit better! Last weekend Jennie G, Mark G, and I had a short talk at the ship when we visited to assist in cleaning the mud up from the recent flooding that has plagued the area. (Just so everyone knows, there was no real damage, just a mess to clean up to prevent some wood and rope from being rotted out by the dampness of the flooding).

I'd also like to take this opportunity to ask if anyone has suggestions for the event? We'd love to hear what the others that make this event great (and the well wishers that haven't been able to make it) have to say!

Cheers

Michael_banner.jpg

I just found this thread . . .

Michael has talked me into coming (assuming can talk my boss into letting me off on Friday- not easy anymore -to make the 500-ish mile drive).

........makes me want to go....all these Canadians around....is anyone from down south driving up to this one? heck, i still havent met master mako...i like hurdy gurdies you see.......

Yours & Co.

Israel Cross

I'm in South Carolina (deep enough "South" for you?). If your coastal NC or so forth, we could meet in the Asheville or Western NC area and route across the Blue Ridge and other mountains to Columbus.

(As is, I'm planning to cross from Asheville, accross the surface roads of Tennessee and Kentucky to Ohio.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Just a bump here to point out the thread on the auction....

Also to let folks know that there is some small work going on to mix things up a little for this event. We're likely not changing much of the parts that people like, but more adding small things to expand and make the event a bit better! Last weekend Jennie G, Mark G, and I had a short talk at the ship when we visited to assist in cleaning the mud up from the recent flooding that has plagued the area. (Just so everyone knows, there was no real damage, just a mess to clean up to prevent some wood and rope from being rotted out by the dampness of the flooding).

I'd also like to take this opportunity to ask if anyone has suggestions for the event? We'd love to hear what the others that make this event great (and the well wishers that haven't been able to make it) have to say!

Cheers

The ship itself is fine since it floats but the shop was a mess.B)

Much like last year, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is taking place on Saturday morning in Downtown Columbus. Last year we had alot of talk about forming a pirate team to walk the half marathon before the ship opens.

I looked into it a little bit and it looks like it would cost $30 per person to register as a team. That in mind, I have a couple of ideas:

1.) I can set us up a team and whoever wants to join the team can register and pay the $30.00. I can't personally afford to pay for everyone (or I would), nor can the ship....which is why we do the pirate weekends in the first place. :)

2.) We can just meander up there, in garb, to cheer the participants on. I really, really, really don't want to take away from the reason the marathon is going on, which is to raise money to find a cure for breast cancer, but if people ask why we're all dressed up, well....no reason not to tell them. :)

What do you all think? Hit me up on facebook and let me know what any interested parties would like to do!!!!

Banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder, this event is rapidly approaching... It looks like it will be a good sized crowd (well over thirty by my count)... And we already have a couple of handful of auction items on hand by various generous donors (the first three donors to get their donations in, were all pubbers! Thanks guys and gals!).

So please sound off if you are still coming, or thing your coming, or hope your coming, or if you found out you unfortunately can't make it. Looking forward to this one!

Michael_banner.jpg

Just a reminder, this event is rapidly approaching... It looks like it will be a good sized crowd (well over thirty by my count)... And we already have a couple of handful of auction items on hand by various generous donors (the first three donors to get their donations in, were all pubbers! Thanks guys and gals!).

So please sound off if you are still coming, or thing your coming, or hope your coming, or if you found out you unfortunately can't make it. Looking forward to this one!

we are still comming mate. If i send you a couple of bed rolls can i get them stuffed with straw there ?????? j...

Yo Ho.......

we are still comming mate. If i send you a couple of bed rolls can i get them stuffed with straw there ?????? j...

Uhm, if you send them I am sure I can arrange to get some straw to fill them with... It would be a first, most folks just bring modern bedding. Heck, to see it done that hard core, I would likely buy the straw with my own money, if it can be found at this time of year (straw is easy to find in the autumn, but not so much in spring). Are you serious? Or are just putting me on? B)

Michael_banner.jpg

Uhm, if you send them I am sure I can arrange to get some straw to fill them with... It would be a first, most folks just bring modern bedding. Heck, to see it done that hard core, I would likely buy the straw with my own money, if it can be found at this time of year (straw is easy to find in the autumn, but not so much in spring). Are you serious? Or are just putting me on? B)

Garden stores carry bales for people to spread on newly-planted yards but it is not necessarily sweet-smelling.

We need to be able to stow our bedding while the ship is open so straw-filled bedding and anything else bulky is a problem. People need to keep that in mind when planning to sleep on the ship.

Mark

sorry - Life has been in the way lately - I won't make May. It is on my list of things to do so maybe Sept will work.

somehow need to cross paths again!

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!