Question for the Surgeon's Journal Readers

Mission

I have a question for the regular Surgeon's Journal readers.

Since the Journals are so long, do you prefer them to be posted:

-one chapter at a time as I finish them or

-in their entirety.

I am not posting this as a poll because I'd appreciate your comments/suggestions. Thanks! ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

If you post as you finish, you will probably get input/reminders of happenings for future chapters.

And it's actually a lot to take in, all at once. But its a guaranteed ... snigger ... (just ask Sterling)!

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

It is very good to read anyway.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

I like them as you finish them....gives me something to look to, and to curse you for not finishing yet..........a bonus for you, is that it requires me to visit back to see the new page...thus giving you more hits

Yours & Co.

I. Cross

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

I tend to agree with just about everyone so far (except Cross, I disagree with him! :P )... I like to see them as each page is done. It does create the opportunity to get early feedback and get possible information that can help shape the later chapters. Although you may want limit your exposure to all feedback you get, otherwise it may just open up the circumstance of giving you more editors than readers. :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

As you finish each chapter, mate, for all the reasons stated.

Now while I don't know Cross well enough to disagree with him, I have noticed it's all the rage.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Actually I like most of the feedback. You'll notice I went way out of my way to incorporate it and even built entire gags around it.

For those who don't recognize it, I am not really the person writing. Like everything in the Journals I, as writer, am actually an exaggeration of myself (with the exception of the first one or two - and even then it's still true to a degree). That's what much humor is - reality exaggerated to absurd dimensions.

I recognize the issue of their length as being such (having been told by no less than five people, three of them completely unsolicited) and this idea is an attempt to remedy that. I don't know why it never occurred to me before; I sort of stumbled aCross it when I was trying to do the PiP Journal as the event unfolded. (I am not yet fully convinced I am unable to do that, incidentally. I learned several things during this attempt.)

Although I really do need to cut back on the sheer number of them so that I can finish some other projects of mine. I am figuring to do two this year - PiP and Put-in-Bay. These were my two favorite events last year and they really lend themselves to my conception of the Journals at this point. Plus they are six months apart. I may do a third, but I don't know. But if I try to do seven again this year I know I'm going to burn myself out on them.

The problem is that they take most of a month to finish, especially when I start incorporating other people's photos (which I really love to do). I could make them shorter (and thus faster to write), but then they would lack quality. And, as much as I love hearing feedback (and I really, really do), I write them to make me laugh first. This is why Lob always gets the most ink of any character - he is completely fictional, can be totally exaggerated beyond reality and is thus hilarious to me.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments thus far. Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

first off.......it is wwaaayyy too popular to disagree with me....ill get you all back....dont worry......

As for the journals mission........mabey shorten them a bbiitt....or to at least, please, do more than two. Your journals are actually one of my favorite things in the pyrate reenacting scene. Through them, i can sort of experience events that iv missed out on, and i really appreciate that. As a matter of fact, even though people have told me id like it, its your journal thats convinced me to go to searls raid. It was also one of the driving forces in getting me to pip the first time.........maybey you could do 2 full length journals for your favorites, and shorter 2 or 3 page journals for smaller, or not as favored events.......

stumbled a Cross.....really now......

Yours & Co.

Israel Cross

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

-one chapter at a time as I finish them or

-in their entirety.

Nah....ye don't need ter sleep nor nothin'.... post 'em as it 'appens....

OK... lets put this inter perspective..... yeah.. it sucks waiting to read them... but wot the heck... ye gots a real life also (or so I've heard)... so we gots ter wait fer them......

In a perfect Wolrd......

It's cool that you do the Surgeon's Journal in the first place.... so when they get posted... well ... it just works that way, don't it?

As for the journals mission........mabey shorten them a bbiitt....or to at least, please, do more than two.

Thanks for all the compliments and comments. My thought is that IF I do a third, I will do it for an event I've not done before, if I find one that I can and want to go to. (If I get burnt out on these like I nearly did in 2010, I'll stop doing them entirely and probably abandon this hobby for something different. I know how I function by observing my past behaviors.)

stumbled a Cross.....really now......

Yeah, that was pretty bad, but I couldn't resist it. :huh::unsure::lol:

Mission_banner5.JPG

You shouldn't feel obligated to do a Surgeons Journal for every event... that would indeed burn you out.

Ye gots to enjoy the event too!

We'll take whatever we can get - beggars can't be choosers :unsure:

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Hey Cross,

Thanks for the comments! The original goal of the Surgeon's Journal at PiP '07 was to show much fun it was so that other people would come to it. Your comments attest that I did manage to achieve my initial goal. :)

(Now if I can just get Duchess to bring her entourage out to an event all of the original SJ goals will be reached.

Then, at last I could stop suffering and finally write that symphony.)

Mission_banner5.JPG