Trade Beads & Hair/Bandana Dangles

CaptainB

I make strands o' traders beads & hair/bandana dangles (much like what Cap'n Sparrow wore). It started simply as a way ta add a touch o' color to me garb, but has thus become a hypnotic way ta spend the evening (with a glass o' rum o' course). I have a few examples to share (others have been traded off, or are locked in me garb trunk). Opinions greatly appreciated.

beads.JPG This is the five I had on hand today (showin' a mate who wants a strand or three)

Closer up on the best three:

blue+1.jpg That be a Cowry shell at the end, Blue Agate, Hematite discs, and carved bone tubes, all on hemp cord.

green+1.jpg Another Cowry, Glass beads, Tigers Eye, and Hematite spheres, on hemp.

tiger1.jpg Again with the Cowry, more Tigers Eye, and Polished Jasper, all on hemp twine.

Iffin' ye want to see a few o' my more exotic strands (the ones with no Cowry shell ends, I'll be happy ta post them as well.)

In addition to the trader's beads, and hair dangles, I also make strands ta decorate mugs an' tankards!

"If I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice..."

I do like them and bravo. It is rare that a man has such a 'lovely creative eye' so there is only one piece of advice. When I began to put things in my hair I discovered one tragic thing. While moving a lot (dancing, sword fighting, etc) the longer ones and/or the ones with much heavier things only on the ends, hit you in the face. So I did redesign a bit so that decreased the chances. Heavier ones are shorter and longer ones are lighter.

I get smacked less now.

:(

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

I do like them and bravo. It is rare that a man has such a 'lovely creative eye' so there is only one piece of advice. When I began to put things in my hair I discovered one tragic thing. While moving a lot (dancing, sword fighting, etc) the longer ones and/or the ones with much heavier things only on the ends, hit you in the face. So I did redesign a bit so that decreased the chances. Heavier ones are shorter and longer ones are lighter.

I get smacked less now.

:(

Aye, I had issues with getting smacked, hence why I tend to NOT put 'em in me hair now-a-days. I mainly hang the buggers off various buckles and buttons on me gear. People always ask where I acquired them, an' beg fer me ta make them some.

Clever. And, I guess, if they hang in easy reach you can maybe 'shhhhh' sell a few on the spot.

B)

Maybe, if you really want to do more of these, you can find a vendor at a festival who could add them to their product line and they get a percentage when they sell. I know everyone is having a hard time with finances and are therefore having a tough time filling their booths. A few of BCRF's vendors are doubling up a bit or selling each others product. Maybe you can call them pirate luck charms. Something to attract the Dubloons if you carry them with you always.

B)

Later

Charity Ann Rackham

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

JDpyracy150.jpg

Never much on sellin' em... yet... Mainly I give 'em out as gifts to me mates, (all o' me mates ha'e strands with coins at the ends. Kind o' our way o' indicatin' loyal crewmates)

An' I be likin' the idea o' "good luck charms"... Put a interestin' twist to the whole thing...

Well then.. May we meet one day and trade a bangle or coin.

Charity Ann Rackham

British Columbia, Canada

JDpyracy150.jpg

i really do not understand all this hair beads like the jonny depp disney represents, beads were used in the 16th throughout the 19th centuries for trade and a currency with local african tribes (slave trade) and native americans in the new world and in the spanish main areas, for gold/silver/jewles/spices, beads were similar to the quahog (clam shell) wampum, used as a currency within the eastern woodland tibes like the (iroquois). the colors were often drabby in color, with baby blue being high in demand. its like do you ever see pirates wearing dabloons or peices of eight as buttons on clothing, it didnt happen. you would see earings of gold or silver.it would be nice to see more authenticity at pirate faires with proper encampment shelters (not wall tents) ,tools, weapons, and clothing that actualy represents the time period you are trying to recreate . seeing these halloween outfits and disney movie fantasy just doesnt do justice when other re-enactors try to protray the right circa. most re-enactors do the GAOP circa, atleast from the pictures represented in alot of the pyracy pub photos.lets do without the hairbeads as it just wasnt logical to see that on englishman or colonist, maybe africans and natives would wear them.. it downsizes yer garb and looks pretty lame! lets get real.

Well.... this is posted in Pyrate Crafts, The Workshop and NOT in Twill, so it can be about anything Pyratical....

If you don't like wearing them, that's OK, but it isn't very "nice" to do the "That isn't period..." about someone posting thier stuff.

i really do not understand all this hair beads like the jonny depp disney represents, beads were used in the 16th throughout the 19th centuries for trade and a currency with local african tribes (slave trade) and native americans in the new world and in the spanish main areas, for gold/silver/jewles/spices, beads were similar to the quahog (clam shell) wampum, used as a currency within the eastern woodland tibes like the (iroquois). the colors were often drabby in color, with baby blue being high in demand. its like do you ever see pirates wearing dabloons or peices of eight as buttons on clothing, it didnt happen. you would see earings of gold or silver.it would be nice to see more authenticity at pirate faires with proper encampment shelters (not wall tents) ,tools, weapons, and clothing that actualy represents the time period you are trying to recreate . seeing these halloween outfits and disney movie fantasy just doesnt do justice when other re-enactors try to protray the right circa. most re-enactors do the GAOP circa, atleast from the pictures represented in alot of the pyracy pub photos.lets do without the hairbeads as it just wasnt logical to see that on englishman or colonist, maybe africans and natives would wear them.. it downsizes yer garb and looks pretty lame! lets get real.

As Patrick has stated so well, this is not Twill. This is a forum for anyone to show off the things they made, and to let others know, who might be interested, on how they made them. 777pirate4, you are welcome to personally disagree with the wearing of beads in or on pirate garb, but this is not the forum to state those disagreements. If it is something you feel strongly about, take the issue to Twill and start a discussion there.

This forum is for anyone to show off their talents for making things — anything — that might relate to piracy in any and all of its many forms. :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

As Patrick has stated so well, this is not Twill. This is a forum for anyone to show off the things they made, and to let others know, who might be interested, on how they made them. 777pirate4, you are welcome to personally disagree with the wearing of beads in or on pirate garb, but this is not the forum to state those disagreements. If it is something you feel strongly about, take the issue to Twill and start a discussion there.

This forum is for anyone to show off their talents for making things — anything — that might relate to piracy in any and all of its many forms. :rolleyes:

As stated in the intro on the main page, "Pyrate CraftA Devil's Playground of sorts, all are welcome & encouraged to participate. Share the secrets to fabricating your kit - clothes, props, & items. Show off what you can do, or sit back and learn from your betters. This is not the place to dispute or critique Period Correctness, but a safe place to share & learn the how of what each other can do."

no problem, but it should be a place to learn authenticity fact not fiction

**Ding, ding, ding....Moderator Voice on...

No, it shouldn't, and it isn't. The place to learn strict authenticity is in Twill. This is a craft forum, not a period correctness forum. You will find NO discussions on period correctness here, only show and tell of what people enjoy making and would like to share with others.

Move on...

And Capt. B. Apologies for the hijacking of this thread. Your work is lovely, and it's a nice gesture that you give them as gifts to the members of your crew. :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

777Pirate4/Plunderin Pylos Parker, I have beads on my hat and do not intend on changing that anytime soon. We are Pirates because its FUN!

In fact I feel so passionate about it that i am willing to put my own balls on the block and ask to ALL the pirate crews here,

Who would have me and my silly hat with beads join thier crew for an event?

Then you try it. We shall see which way the beads roll.

I suggest as a newcomer here you choose your negative comments wisely, and stop double posting in order to up your numbers, We all had to swab the deck for a while.

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

i not here to debate weather i have friends within the pyracy pub, or crews and be a follower , my beads roll with commonsence and have historical meanings , maybe you ought to be more authentic while having fun while doing pirate projects.i am here having fun within the site , as i stated before we can continue this on the twill if yer beads roll that way!

777Pirate4/Plunderin Pylos Parker, I have beads on my hat and do not intend on changing that anytime soon. We are Pirates because its FUN!

In fact I feel so passionate about it that i am willing to put my own balls on the block and ask to ALL the pirate crews here,

I suggest as a newcomer here you choose your negative comments wisely, and stop double posting in order to up your numbers, We all had to swab the deck for a while.

Eeeergh... we are gittin' inter a flame war here..... NOT GOOD....

Best I can figgure .... we all be people on th' other end of th' keyboard....

SO... lets all step back a little bit.... take a few breaths..... an then play nice.....

Who knew that me simple beads would raise such a ruckus?!?!

And Ransom, many thanks fer the compliments. It be good knowin' that even simple things can be appreciated.

Who knew that me simple beads would raise such a ruckus?!?!

I'm sorry... the attempt was to not to have that happen..... As you can see, most of the post like what you are doing....

So ... please keep it up.

Would you be bringing precious? You combined with beads precious and your cane might be too much, although you could use the tools as an improved cane B) By the way my lock showed up yesterday same as yours, its a nice big long beautiful piece.

id.jpg

Now back to "how beautiful the beads and dangles" of CaptainB look (with all do respect :lol:) They are really beautiful you are very talented ,and I know what you mean about obsession I've made the the bandana and hair dangles for my husb Jack Sparrow costume and being a tribal bellydancer I do adore some dangles in my hair , but much like Lady Barbosa said they do hit you in the face (and those shells can hurt) so I put the long heavy one in the back of my hair or I braid them , and short more delicate ones in the side framing the face ...

PS : thank you for keeping a space in here for us "non perfect pyrates re-enacting ppl" LOL but we do enjoy learning :unsure:

Edited by Zingara Carmella
Gypsy_Dance_by_depplosion.jpgicon20tarotcardpoker-1.jpg