POTC 4 trailer live now!!!

1stMate Matt

I think it popped on facebook about a minute after it went live. And then through the miracle that it is, it went viral withint seconds and is smattered on everyone's site. Love that about facebook.

On the movie note - looks great, but of course, it has Penelope Cruz, so who needs anyone else in it?

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

"Did everyone see that? Because I will NOT be doing it again." B)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Has anyone noticed that Tim Powers' book On Stranger Tides has disappeared from book seller's shelves recently? B)

Jas. Hook dry.gif

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Has anyone noticed that Tim Powers' book On Stranger Tides has disappeared from book seller's shelves recently? B)

Probably because fans have been buying it and (my guess) they're planning to re-release it with a cover related to the movie when it comes out. (They frequently do that with the Bond novels, even when the novel is hardly recognizable in the movie.) So, without any recent reprints the book warehouses might be running out of it.

You can still buy it on Amazon. I am not sure why anyone buys books in a bookstore anymore. Amazon used has saved me so much money over the years...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Greatly looking forward to this film. Some still unsure about the film. But I don't think it will be anything less than fun. All three of the previous films have been quite a fun ride.

Shall look forward to this and of course watching dear Barbossa with great delight, even if he is missing one leg and in different attire or possibly working for the Crown.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

You can still buy it on Amazon. I am not sure why anyone buys books in a bookstore anymore. Amazon used has saved me so much money over the years...

Oh oh! Pick me! Pick me!

Because it does avoid the hassle of buying a book sight unseen, getting a damaged book*, and then having to fret over returning it.

*I'm a book nazi. Not in the "burning books" sense, but in the "even the micro-est scratch constitutes damage" sense.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I saw the trailer on the big screen this weekend when I went to see Tron. The scene with Penelope Cruz shoving the sword through the door... ha! It didn't even dawn on me until I was sitting there with the 3d glasses on that that scene was just made for 3d! Sword... sproing!

My Home on the Web

Oh oh! Pick me! Pick me!

Because it does avoid the hassle of buying a book sight unseen, getting a damaged book*, and then having to fret over returning it.

*I'm a book nazi. Not in the "burning books" sense, but in the "even the micro-est scratch constitutes damage" sense.

Why? (Never mind, I know there's no answer.)

I'll take a ex-libris book with packing tape holding the cover on over one 20 times as expensive. (Yep, 20 times for some of the weird stuff I buy.) I am not kind to books, so I don't care if they're in rough shape.

Life's too short to mollycoddle what are essentially pieces of paper. This is why I make a piss-poor comic collector as well.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Why? (Never mind, I know there's no answer.)

Exactly.

I'll take a ex-libris book with packing tape holding the cover on over one 20 times as expensive. (Yep, 20 times for some of the weird stuff I buy.)

That's funny, I'm the complete opposite. I'd be more than happy to pay 20 times the cost if they could guarantee a book was pristine. Note, however, this only applies to new books. I'll buy used books no matter what shape they are in, if it is a subject that interests me. For instance, I bought a two-volume set of some history of Virginia on ebay just because it seems to be the first book to use the term Golden Age of Piracy.

My Home on the Web

But that's the point - why buy new in the first place unless it's nearly the same price or it's a gift?

We're talking about data here. (Well, I am.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Heh, somehow I think this thread has deviated from its original topic... but what else should one expect out of a bunch of history nerds? (hello Pot, my name is Kettle :P )

As for the trailer, woohoo! Looks like fun! I'm still a little dubious, because I haven't quite gotten over a lot of my gripes with movie #3. Not to mention the fact that the number of "#4" movies out there that are actually good is probably about equivalent to the number of honest politicians in the world. But still, I'm already excited by what I've seen. I still think Penelope's costume is total bollocks (okay, so none of them are historically accurate, but hers just makes her look like a bad ren-faire refugee), and I'm still bummed that McShane doesn't look more badass as Blackbeard (he's got that whole "biker pirate" look, I guess), but I'm psyched about McShane in the role in general, and the visuals so far look brilliant! Now let us just pray for a decent script. From what we've seen so far, I think it's fairly safe to say that very little (if any) of Tim Powers' novel will make its way into this film.

P.S. I think you get extra points for buying that history of Virginia book solely because of the presence of four meaningful words contained with in, BlackJohn.

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

::: picks up a big, thick book; tap, tap, tapping on the palm of hand in threatening way with a stern look::: more than one way to utilize a book. ::: clears throat:::

They haven't crossed th' line... yet. Deviated a tad, but tis a good thing they not be Navigators! Especially mine! I'd have them "delt" with by now.

And I'm th' more gentle one between Iron Bess and I. :D Ye don't want t' get Bess angry. She'll incur th' wrath of The Mouse upon ye!

LMAO!!! Interesting way of putting it, McCool. Nay. Having looked at her outfits (yes, she has two of them apparently in this movie. Or perhaps two coats), it's not all that half bad. But it is a bit way off the historical marker. But, she is portraying a Spaniard. They never were decent on attire during that time really. Blah!

McCool... Barbossa is in it!!! Need I say more? ;)

Oh, already some of the quotes from the trailer are going viral (as it were). And... why do I have a feelin' that despite Elizabeth and Will are not in this film their boy will be joining Jack or Hector on this intreguing romp. Did ye all not notice the youth that look right surprizingly like Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann? Hmm? :) If so, an element of the 3rd movie after credits scene showing up in the 4th film. After all, we've seen an element of the previous movie show up in the following film. Aye?

Reply to PS... what four little words? :::curious:::

~Lady B

"Golden Age of Piracy." That's the reason BlackJohn cited for buying the abovementioned two-volume history of Virginia. Which I thought was kind of awesome on an extremely nerdy level :D

It's funny, I don't know why, because now it seems glaringly obvious, but you're right - that very well could be Wiil and Elizabeth's son in the trailer! I'm not quite sure it is their son, but it totally could be!

I am glad Barbossa's back, but I'm not sure how I feel about him going all Royal Navy. I'm sure it's a ploy of some kind on his part, but I'm still not sure how I feel. I really dug his old costume, and so far he doesn't seem to wear it even once. I'm also really concerned with the complete lack of anything even remotely connected to the Black Pearl, now that they've rebuilt the movie ship into Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge. I'm going to be really sad if the Pearl is gone. Still, we get the HMS Surprise (or the HMS Providence as she was redubbed for this film), which makes me very happy. I love that ship.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Oh, ye be right, McCool. Hector has ulterier motives, to be sure. Granted, perhaps the absense of the monkey, and the familiar outfit with something a little more proper and a peg leg, will seem incredibly odd and not right for many fans, that just is the way Barbossa is and how his life path went.

Oh, and it seems Gillette and Groves have returned for this one as well. Two of Norrington's Officers that just never seem to die. Not that we want them to. Hell, I really thought Gillette died in the hurricane between Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest. Nope, looks like the both of them survived. Ironic and amazing. And back in their proper military attire under the crown with Groves rather than the "military" look of the EICo under Beckett.

It would not surprise me any that the lad is Will and Elizabeth's boy. We can only hope... or not, depending upon if you think the lad should be in the story or not.

But one thing is for sure, from an image I spotted... Barbossa has NOT lost his touch with the sword! NEVER cross a master Swordsman... let alone a master Swordsman who is a Pirate Lord!

~Lady B