The History of PiP

hurricane

Jon it's that fine line, one of those 'you know it when you see it', sort of things. The standards are different for the two festivals. We in the fort are more interested in the historical side of things, trying to show more reality in our camps and dress, etc. We actually live in the tents and have more of a community atmosphere. The vendors out at PiP are perhaps less concerned with accuracy and the people and crews are more scattered. PiP vendors sell plastic eyepatches and gee gaws for the kiddies and tourists (as well as some other good stuff). FTPI vendors are selling supplies for reenactors.

This makes it sound like some great superiority thing. It isn't. The PiP is more focused on the family festival, the tourist, and the person that just wants to have a good time. In the FTPI living history displays, we are doing more teaching, more in depth stuff, and things that are more geared to the person with more than a passing interest.

Goddess Help me, PLEASE nobody take offense at this. It is a genuine attempt to show the differences between the two festivals, not some attempt to make trouble. Problem is that when you do try and show differences, somebody will always take umbrage, thinking that it is some kind of insult where none is intended.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawkyns, The Goddess hears you and she is answering :) Remember, my old title was the Goddess in the Bodice :)

Iron Jon and Hurricane, I am just going to say you are both right. A lot of what a festival is has to do with perceptions. I could just sit here and nit pick that there are, in fact, retailers, volunteers and history on both sides... but I won't B)

As for the two names....well, there are two names. It's that simple. They are two different events. Registering to vend or whatnot at them go through two different channels...etc etc etc...therefore, they should be listed separately. That's about the crux of it. that way everyone makes sure they are registered and informed about what event they want to go to and have the information they need about that event.

I also agree with Hawkyns and Hurricane that we should split this all up. I like the Key West Festivals and two sub topics to discuss them individually. I think that while everyone is used to saying PIP now, over time we can all be reeducated to say what we mean.

I do not completely agree that the two events are geared towards 'totally different audiences', but there is enough difference. I honestly love a lot of the things about both events and I will continue to attend both events.... And I would advise anyone who is on just one side or the other to look into the other event, but that does not mean you have to like plastic eye patches if you go to the waterfront or that you have to be able to tie a perfect knot if you head over to the fort :)

and NO ONE is to take offense at any of what Hawkyns posted. I agree that he was trying to explain, not incite... The Goddess has spoken... B)

Edited by Diosa De Cancion

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I also agree with Hawkyns and Hurricane that we should split this all up. I like the Key West Festivals and two sub topics to discuss them individually. I think that while everyone is used to saying PIP now, over time we can all be reeducated to say what we mean.

Agreed! Got my vote!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

This is kind of neat - it's some old photos at No Quarter Given.

Edit: I take that back - it's on the Pirates in Paradise Page.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I agree Diosa, I love both of them for entirely different reasons. And whether we like it or not, there are two different festivals and have been for some time, right down to how you register for them as a vendor or participant.

And there's nothing wrong with it. I think Hawkyns did a good job at outlining the differences in philosophy of each. I made it a point to come over to the forts to get a littler period time in. I particularly enjoyed Mission's presentation on period surgery. Wow!

Equally, I loved the musical the kids did, coloring with Don Maitz, being smacked by the kid with the pinatas, the costume contest with the little pirates and the Tall Tales contest.

There's nothing wrong with going to just one or going to both - it's a big pirate world. But they have separate names and we should get used to them. Certainly, as a FTPI vendor I would want people to know I am at FTPI, not PiP, otherwise they may end up at the Annex and wonder where I was. Same as an entertainer. It only serves to create more visibility and clarity for everyone involved.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

this has been discussed in the past... B) ...somewhere....anyway....it really comes down to OWNERSHIP of the events.

in point....if Both events were owned by one entity...one name for the event...but as it stands....PiP and the Name is owned and run by Julie and Finbar(others??)....and the Fort Invasion is owned and run by the Freinds of Fort Taylor(Originally by the Boney's for profit i believe??) and hence the devision of the 2 names.

yes i agree....things would be ever so lovely and easier on US(the pirates)...if an accord could ever be reached 'tween the two entities to share the name we have all come to use so offhandely and strengthen their Marketing capabilities and work as one...to include something for EVRY PIRATE UNDER THE SUN....but til then...the Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion takes place durring the Pirates in Paridise Festival at the Fort.

In my head...like so many of us(hence the slipps of the tongue) take advantage of all the Key West has to offer while we are their....for 3 years(sans this year) i have "Lived" in the period encampment at the Fort while partaking in the Parade...Pub Crawl...Wolf..Ghost Walk...and yes the dear to my heart International Walk the Plank Champoinship...BTW..congrats Klaus...2 more years and we'll go Head to Head!!

It is hard for me to split the two entities in my head...because for me...i can not see having one without the other...and both are dear to me.

so to this i suggest(humbly..dont smirk, i can be humble)...to list the two seperatly...but every year make it our Goal to bring the two closer together...as in my first year...when we all talked about the "Pirate Family" that we experienced where EVERY Pirate from newbie,old timer,reenactor, pirate enthusiast,muscian...shared in the love and respect of all things Piraty...and came home better for it!!

am i rambling?...i think i am rambling...dang i hated to miss this year....Love you all!!....wheres me rum B)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Given all that has been said, it still makes no sense to me that each group has to, in effect, ignore the other's presence. I sense little or no willingness to build bridges between the two groups: planning, coordinating events, sharing resources, openning communication, etc. etc. I get very much a sense of "You stay on your side of the fence and we'll stay on ours."

I was very confused going into it and it was only after some time that I began to realize the division and began to ask the questions that "explained" the puzzling (and, I feel, maladaptive) arrangement. Seems to me that what you were doing was hurting both of you and leaving many people (I am a prime example) confused.

I liked elements of both sides. I liked the "fun" element of the PiP side (FTPI could get oh-so serious about the minuteness of fine detail like, "Well, from 1678 til 1692, it was common to stitch waistcoats from right to left, using the 'hook & loopy-loo stitch', but in 1693 His Lordship Louis de HaHa farted from left to right and, of course, the stitching technique followed suit!" "Yes!!" says the other, "but at the same time, going on in Stratford on Avon, the Great Lord Marmaduke had the most wicked case of the 'trots' and ... etc. etc....." lololol) BUT! I found that I really liked the sense of belonging to a group (group identity) that I felt the PiP side had less of (I felt), with all the coming and going of people. The fort felt like a "home."

Being a total noob and not sharing your histories of discontent, you can imagine how strange this all seems to me. Looks to me like a case of "cutting your throats to save your faces." <ducks>

Being an adult child of an utterly dysfunctional family, I understand so well the idea of secrets, the "no-talk rule", resentments, feuds, etc. etc. etc. Each group's leaders obviously worked SO HARD to pull this/these festival(s) off. It would be so heartening to see offerings of olive branches, bridges of communication, invitations of co-operation, and overtures of welcome and friendship extended.

I spoke randomly with two vendors (one on each side) on Monday. I asked them how things went for them. Each was furious at this "divisional" approach to the festival(s). Each swore that they would never return. Each said that had been at this for many years and knew many, many people in the vendor business. Each said that would make it known far and wide to AVOID AT ALL COSTS the Key West pirate festival offers. (Don't shoot the messenger. I am only telling you what they said .. and I in no way set it up for them to react the way they did!)

I really wanted to do things on both sides, and was able to, to some extent. I made good friends on both sides. It was frustrating, though, to have things I wanted to do overlap. The walk between the two sites SEEMED to be endless - especially in those damned "leather on the outside, vinyl on the inside" pirate boots! Next year, if you both still insist on a "demilitarized zone," I am renting one of those little electric cars to haul my sorry a** between sites!

Anyway .. those are a few observations of a relatively untainted noob. I wish I hadn't asked so many questions cuz then I REALLY could have said some taboo things under the protective blanket of naivete! :-)

I must say that to me '07 seemed to be the best year I have been to. There were decent crowds inside the fort of tourists pleanty of activity yet it didn't matter what you wore people were there to have fun. Some naturally were much more historically accurate than others and were willing to help educate educate. Shuttles ran to and from the fort so trying to get from the fort to downtown was simple without having to find a car and carpool. The battles kept the crowd close and involved whether it was firing from the ramparts with the crowd watching inside the fort (they could feel they were part of the defending force) or firing inside the fort at an onrush of pirates with the crowd watching from the ramparts once again bringing them more into the action. I feel since then it has changed from something welcoming the public to more of a private party where some tourists can sneak a peak.

Just my $.02

id.jpg

this has been discussed in the past... :lol: ...somewhere....anyway....it really comes down to OWNERSHIP of the events.

in point....if Both events were owned by one entity...one name for the event...but as it stands....PiP and the Name is owned and run by Julie and Finbar(others??)....and the Fort Invasion is owned and run by the Freinds of Fort Taylor(Originally by the Boney's for profit i believe??) and hence the devision of the 2 names.

The Bone Island Buccaneers were under contract to run the Fort Taylor event for the Friends of Fort Taylor and is used as a fundraiser for the rebuilding of the Fort. The Bone Island Buccaneers never owned the event. They held the contract from 2007-2009.

Edited by Haunting Lily Alexander

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

This is response to Beowoulf...

There is no division between the two groups and no divisiveness. I really can't emphasize this enough. When Spike and BiBs were in charge, yes, animosity, but purely for business reasons that I won't go into here. Certainly not now with Fayma and the Friends of the Fort running the FTPI. In fact, Fayma is an officer in the Conch Republic Navy. Finbar made her a Lieutenant this past year. He certainly doesn't bestow such honors on people who are his enemies.

There is a space issue and always has been. The fort only has so much space. Although some campers cancelled at the last minute, there was initial concern that all the campers wouldn't fit into the fort, let alone vendors. Additionally. the mission of the fort is to represent living history. Many of PiP's events don't even remotely fit into that mission and neither do many of the vendors. Even the tryal of Anne and Mary isn't truly historical, not with Tizzy in it (and I wouldn't trade Cascabel's comic relief ever for the historical version).

PiP is once again in a high growth mode, i.e., the non-period events. Next year, the grounds will be twice the size that it was this year with more events and activities geared to the community. We only had 10 weeks this year to get the site together, given the late start on the permitting with the city. I can't explain all the new additions as they are in process, but they certainly wouldn't fit into the fort, either in terms of space or in terms of philosophy.

No one blames the fort or FTPI for gravitating more toward period representations. I camped there myself for several years and loved it. But PiP serves many masters, and its first obligation is to the city organizations that support it, including the historical society, the Mowhawk and Ingham, the visitor's bureau, the hotels the in-town venues and the City of Key West who issued all the permits this year for the Annex.

I personally look forward to another year of working with the FTPI team and PiP to make them both even more amazing this year. Let's just live with the fact that they are different and distinct. They have different missions, different bosses and different business models. But that doesn't mean they aren't on friendly terms or don't take advantage of the synergies available to them whenever possible

During this past year, Fayma and Julie were in constant, sometimes daily communication. I was in on many of them. It's easy to assume that there is no coordination, but none of you (outside of Sterling, Haunting Lily, Fayma, Diosa and myself on this board - and forgive me if I missed someone) are in on the day-to-day of what goes on with these events. There is plenty of communication, coordination and sharing of information and resources.

There are always vendors who are unhappy with their time there. It happens every year. Ask Diosa. We used to vend. We used to hear the griping. I spoke to many vendors at the Annex who were absolutely thrilled with their time there. I heard several say how much they love coming down to PiP and FTPI because they are able to break even on a vacation in Key West. They don't even care if they make money since they can fill an empty space in their vending calendar with a usually warm visit to the tropics.

To return to the initial point - there is no animosity here. We make due with the conditions as they arise. We adapt as the requirements of the city and the fort change. We alter our marketing and advertising to meet the stringent requirements of grants (you'd be surprised what these are), and we try to put on the best respective festivals we can.

To put it out there for others that we are dysfunctional or have a feud going on is so far from the truth that it is laughable at best. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and judge what has been happening for years to keep these events going without any funding, without any support at times and with the "peanut gallery" griping about why we can't have one big love fest for pirates.

I could tell stories here that would shock you about how close this thing comes every year to falling by the wayside. But people like Fayma, Julie, Haunting Lily, Diosa and I do this because we love Key West and we love our friends to come down to our neck of the woods and play pirate with us. Countless times we have simply willed these two events into existence at the last minute just so everyone can come down and have some fun in the sun.

I hope we can all move on and quit psychoanalyzing everything from the grandstands. It does nothing to improve FTPI or PiP. If anything, it makes us wonder why we do all this hard work in the first place. It is at best a thankless job. If you want to truly help us improve these events, volunteer to join the groups planning them and work with us throughout the year. We could sure use the help and it could be a real eye opener for you. I know it was for me.

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

this has been discussed in the past... :lol: ...somewhere....anyway....it really comes down to OWNERSHIP of the events.

The Bone Island Buccaneers were under contract to run the Fort Taylor event for the Friends of Fort Taylor and is used as a fundraiser for the rebuilding of the Fort. The Bone Island Buccaneers never owned the event. They held the contract from 2007-2009.

not quite the point i was making ...but thank you for the detailed correction... :lol:

I beleive the overall goal for everyone concerned is to have a Long and Lasting and Profitable Festival that would allow us all a place to come and play. The only reason(or should be the only reason) anyone here is pointing out flaws is not to push blame on anyone who has spent blood and tears and a considerble amount of money and time to bring all this together...but to find away to fill the "cracks" of the overall event to make it increasingly beter every year for everyone concerned....if i am mistakin here i appologise...but i know my intentions are only to improve this event and have always been so...tho the world seemed to conspire against me to keep me away this year...(3 out 4 aint bad)...i still plann on lending my support in anyway allowed.

It is a Hurculean task at best to cordinate this event(s)...and my condolences and appreciation goes to those with the task...i know it to be a labor of love...so thank you.

My first year had a Shuttle to pick up those at the Fort to walk in the Parade...fantastic

Pirate Olympics were held inside the fort to bring other PiPsters inside the Fort...worked well

i the year nearly the whole "Encampment" cleared out and ran down to the "Walk the Plank Competion"...as it should be

in my Humble opinion(there i go using that word again)...i would love to see more "bridging the Gap" between the events...of course i know ther are alot of concessions rules and other powers that be that have to be accomplished as well...

posssibly a shcedule of ALL events be passed/posted for all attendees of all events....istead of just one or the other!?!?...tho i have to give Props to Hurricane, who (as his name sake) was very loud and prolific this year getting out the word....but i would like to see the overall goal of everyone , Pirates all, to take a lesson from one pyrate in paticular who has seemed to make it his "MISSION" to frequent many if not all of the local Haunts of KeyWest from Local eatteries to other Events and goings on while still maintaining a presesnce at the Fort...

to end this idle rambling...just like to thank you all who sweated and bled for this Event in paticular...and the other un-sung Heroes who truly embrase the idea of a truly inclusive Pirate Comunnity...as well a raise and live the Manta of KeyWest itself

HUZZAH, HUZZAH...wheres the RUM!!

(end of the rambling)...damn i wish i was there this year....quick...someone invite me back down for next year!! :lol:

This is response to Beowoulf...

There is no division between the two groups and no divisiveness. I really can't emphasize this enough. When Spike and BiBs were in charge, yes, animosity, but purely for business reasons that I won't go into here. Certainly not now with Fayma and the Friends of the Fort running the FTPI. In fact, Fayma is an officer in the Conch Republic Navy. Finbar made her a Lieutenant this past year. He certainly doesn't bestow such honors on people who are his enemies.

There is a space issue and always has been. The fort only has so much space. Although some campers cancelled at the last minute, there was initial concern that all the campers wouldn't fit into the fort, let alone vendors. Additionally. the mission of the fort is to represent living history. Many of PiP's events don't even remotely fit into that mission and neither do many of the vendors. Even the tryal of Anne and Mary isn't truly historical, not with Tizzy in it (and I wouldn't trade Cascabel's comic relief ever for the historical version).

PiP is once again in a high growth mode, i.e., the non-period events. Next year, the grounds will be twice the size that it was this year with more events and activities geared to the community. We only had 10 weeks this year to get the site together, given the late start on the permitting with the city. I can't explain all the new additions as they are in process, but they certainly wouldn't fit into the fort, either in terms of space or in terms of philosophy.

No one blames the fort or FTPI for gravitating more toward period representations. I camped there myself for several years and loved it. But PiP serves many masters, and its first obligation is to the city organizations that support it, including the historical society, the Mowhawk and Ingham, the visitor's bureau, the hotels the in-town venues and the City of Key West who issued all the permits this year for the Annex.

I personally look forward to another year of working with the FTPI team and PiP to make them both even more amazing this year. Let's just live with the fact that they are different and distinct. They have different missions, different bosses and different business models. But that doesn't mean they aren't on friendly terms or don't take advantage of the synergies available to them whenever possible

During this past year, Fayma and Julie were in constant, sometimes daily communication. I was in on many of them. It's easy to assume that there is no coordination, but none of you (outside of Sterling, Haunting Lily, Fayma, Diosa and myself on this board - and forgive me if I missed someone) are in on the day-to-day of what goes on with these events. There is plenty of communication, coordination and sharing of information and resources.

There are always vendors who are unhappy with their time there. It happens every year. Ask Diosa. We used to vend. We used to hear the griping. I spoke to many vendors at the Annex who were absolutely thrilled with their time there. I heard several say how much they love coming down to PiP and FTPI because they are able to break even on a vacation in Key West. They don't even care if they make money since they can fill an empty space in their vending calendar with a usually warm visit to the tropics.

To return to the initial point - there is no animosity here. We make due with the conditions as they arise. We adapt as the requirements of the city and the fort change. We alter our marketing and advertising to meet the stringent requirements of grants (you'd be surprised what these are), and we try to put on the best respective festivals we can.

To put it out there for others that we are dysfunctional or have a feud going on is so far from the truth that it is laughable at best. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and judge what has been happening for years to keep these events going without any funding, without any support at times and with the "peanut gallery" griping about why we can't have one big love fest for pirates.

I could tell stories here that would shock you about how close this thing comes every year to falling by the wayside. But people like Fayma, Julie, Haunting Lily, Diosa and I do this because we love Key West and we love our friends to come down to our neck of the woods and play pirate with us. Countless times we have simply willed these two events into existence at the last minute just so everyone can come down and have some fun in the sun.

I hope we can all move on and quit psychoanalyzing everything from the grandstands. It does nothing to improve FTPI or PiP. If anything, it makes us wonder why we do all this hard work in the first place. It is at best a thankless job. If you want to truly help us improve these events, volunteer to join the groups planning them and work with us throughout the year. We could sure use the help and it could be a real eye opener for you. I know it was for me.

Well said, Suh !!!!

>>>>> Cascabel

...I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I only wrote that a shuttle was not part of the PiP side of the event (as far as I knew). I never said that Fort Fest wasn't. The Fort Fest has taken PiP to a whole other level and I would never ever say that that they were separate or apart. It was simply a reference to the shuttle question, which I was referring to. I apologize for the confusion and there was certainly no sleight intended at all.

I think posts like the one are part of the confusion about the use of the name PIP or Pirates in Paradise. I guess there must have been some major change in the 30 days or so since this was written.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

OK kids.... enough....(and this is aimed at EVERYONE, including me :) )

This is a 'history of PIP' thread. This is to talk the history... and the way it has been and how it has gotten to where it is. So, let's stop with the judgments and debates over how things can be done in the future. There will be time for that later on. For now, we're just doing a little education.

Feel free to jot down notes somewhere on a notepad or something about what you think the future could be and we will look at that later....

But for now, it's this simple. There are two events. There will be two events.... that's that.

Again, I am not trying to bitch at anyone, but we are away from the focus of this thread. It's to talk history. And yes, there is confusion, so that's why we're trying to sort out the history and creation of the what has now become two events. :lol:

We all know there are things that need to be worked on for the future, but you know, perhaps we should just, right now, appreciate the good things that happened at the events this year and deal with other issues later.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Great reply, Hurricane! I am much uplifted to know the groups can and do cooperate for the benefit of all. If I lived in FLA, you can be sure that I would be part of the organizing force - I am a sap like that too! ;-)

Just as you old salts have the extremely valuable ability to speak from experience, a noob like myself also brings a unique and quite valuable perspective: how does this (which the old salts have become accustomed to) come across to clueless newcomers (who you need to "impress" if they are to return and keep the event from drying up.)

My #1 request would be an easier transfer between sites. There is often so little time to "cram it all in" that the walk, as I mentioned, seems interminable. (Perhaps this is just my issue?)

And my #1 suggestion: to have the advertising presented such that each venue is made clear (on each piece of advertising!). Like I said, to a total noob like myself, it took me a few days to figure out what was going on (geography and events, I mean ... not politically!) For example, I arrived on Tuesday and made the acquaintance of Hurricane (and much enjoyed his company!), but then I was quite confused that he was not living in the fort when Thursday and Friday rolled around. "Where is my new friend Hurricane?" I wondered. When I learned of some personal issues, I assumed that was the reason, but no, come to find out now, it can be perfectly normal to be immersed in the PiP grounds without being immersed in the FTPI grounds. To the naked eye (read noob, with no background), it seems bizarre that there APPEARS to be two separate, similar-themed events going on at the same time, only a half mile from each other. It is just natural for the noob to say, "Well, this is kinda odd...." I am guessing that Marketing 101 would say that it is not a good idea to leave the "customer" puzzled.

ON THE OTHER HAND (lolol), as I think of it .... In Maine, in the Old Orchard Beach, Scarborough, Saco area, there are many amusement parks ... all a relatively short distance from each other. It would indeed seem odd to see them advertising for each other just for the sake of making their clientele comfortable - unless they owned the other amusement park, of course.... Still, the KW pirate thing is so unique and so short-lived that perhaps it is quite natural to think that "obviously" the two events are one-in-the-same.

In any case, I had a fantastic time at both sites! Both sites' vendors profited greatly from my presence! I met and talked to many people. I made a few friends. While I DID feel the need to get home and rest my tired, aching body, after a quick rejuvenation, I was pining to do it all over again. How will I ever make it til late November 2011???

Apart from these small details, it was a FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE and I am EXTREMELY GRATEFUL to all the organizers for all their hard work!!!!! THANK YOU!!! laugh.gif

Post-Diosa request to return to topic:

Sorry, this IS off topic. The history of the event(s) is quite interesting. I would suggest posting these "suggestions" under another topic heading ... buuuut, on second thought, maybe not! tongue.gif (Hmmmmm ... is there a way to offer well-intentioned suggestions w/o sounding ungrateful? I guess the TONE of the communication makes all the difference.)

Edited by Beowoulf

Sorry, this post is below. I quoted myself for some reason. Don't ask.

And besides, I'm never post without editing because Diosa loves is so when I do, don't ya dahling? :)

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I think that's a great idea. I know the moderators have been working over time, but perhaps all the recent posts about improving it can be shifted over to a new thread so we can focus on the history of this event and how it came to be, which in itself is quite lengthy and indeed, fascinating.

As for the personal issues of why I don't camp, coming from the horse's mouth, it's because I've never liked camping, period or non-period. That's why I don't stay at the fort - I have always been at the heart a hotel pirate. I would have been at the fort more this year but I was assigned MC duties on the stage, so there were rare times when I could steal away from me duties there.

Back to history. I think if everyone goes through the links I posted of what used to be done at PiP and how it and FTPI have evolved, it will start to make sense. And it's quite instructive to see things that have gone by the wayside - such as the Pyrate Olympics and the Kid's Fest at Mel Fisher's that may have some usefulness in the future. I think the events that have been tried over the years should always be re-examined and reinterpreted.

For example, I think one year we had planned to drill the children in protecting the fort. I know it was done at Green Turtle Cay. Perhaps someone can fashion wooden rifles and one of the king's soldiers can put them through muster. When we did it at GTC, we did it similar to Simon Says. The kids loved it and it would add to the fort side's events. As anyone knows, kids bring parents, parents bring money and they will stay around forever if the kids are amused. Again, we should all look at what we've done in the past to see what we can do in the future and the links to past years may be helpful. I for one had forgotten that the National Walk the Plank Championship was originally on a Sunday. I thought it had always been Thursday. And there was a Pirate Ball a couple years, which I think is already being resurrected for 2011 at the Annex side (which already has the liquor license for it thanks to the Mohawk).

We did have a shuttle one year and what a help. Pirate's Soul sponsored it. Fayma tried her darndest to get one this year, but it was not to be. It would greatly simplify the movement of public and troops back and forth. I hope this year that will be one of our #1 priorities.

And Beowoulf, don't think for a moment that not living in Florida gets you out of helping. Just ask Lily and Sterling. :)

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

So, here is the Diosa timeline of PIP… Part 1

One thing I want everyone to understand is that I have always looked at PIP as an experience, not just an event… that was evident the first time I went…and frankly… PIP is why there is a Diosa (Yeah, I know, some of you are now damning PIP)

2003 was my first year at PIP, I was there as a reporter. It was the second time I had been to Key West, the first being in August of that year when I got to paint a fish with Wyland on the Marketplace wall, but that is just me bragging ;)

It was a 11-day festival that year, but I arrived the 5th day in. Monday was my 'check in and get a hotel room' day. I was staying at the Banana Bay resort, which was one of the venues for the festival where a big party would be held later in the week. As has been mentioned the fest had a number of locations for events, moving each day to a different sponsored location.

Monday night was the 'big event', Disney had chosen Pirates in Paradise as the location for it's Pirates of the Caribbean 'Black Pearl' DVD release party. They had the HMS Bounty in the harbor firing at the shore outside Mallory square, Jack Sparrow running around, fireworks and all kinds of craziness. It was really quite the spectacle. They were even handing out 'DVD Release party' coin necklaces that promoted the event. I still have mine!

Tuesday I got to take in the first of the literary presentations. It was called "Literature and the Sea,” and was a writer’s symposium and workshop led by authors Randy Wayne White and Norma Miller. It was held at Kelly’s Caribbean Bar & Grill. Most of you likely met Norma this year. If you don't know who Randy Wayne White is, he has a number of New York Times Best selling 'Doc Ford' novels that all have a Florida connection to them as he is based out of SW Florida.

Not only did we get to have a little lecture session on writing and breaking into the field, but there was also a writing exercise where I got to have this NYT best selling author critique my work and it was quite the fun experience! There was even a little crush happening, but again…that's a different story, which has been penned for people to laugh at me elsewhere. If you want to read that, let me know and I'll send it to you… now, back on track…

Later that day was another DVD release event for the POTC movie. PIP Organizer Julie McEnroe sent me over to the Blockbuster where it as being held and set me up with this over the top, loud mouth pirate for an interview… his name was Hurricane :lol:

I don't remember what I did with all the rest of that day, but I have a feeling I was doing interviews for other Keys stories, as I was doing a lot of them….

Wednesday I know I went to the "Pirates of the Florida Keys" Artists' & Authors' Reception, Booksignings & Silent Auction at the Custom House. It was the first time I met fantastic artists Don Maitz and Michael Noles, although I doubt they remember it, I was just some obnoxious reporter…

That weekend came the Historic Seaport's Pirate Fest & Village Thieves' Market. I had purchased a couple of outfits online, figuring if I am going to play at a pirate festival, I may as well try to dress up a little. This was held essentially over by the Schooner Wharf. There were booths to shop at and wandering performers, and yes, Jimmy Buffet's studio…

I will offer a funny little side story here. Buffet was recording an album and would come out of the studio periodically. When I was standing on the walkway talking to Carlton, his henchman, and we were talking about a double rainbow that had been over the water, Buffet came out cussing up a storm at someone on the phone then got off the phone and joined in our conversation about the sky. The rainbows were gone, but I had a picture and showed him on the back of my camera. Then I said I would love to have a photo, specifically to send to an ex who had just screwed me over and would have given both legs to be standing within 10 feet of Buffet, and he obliged. I e-mailed the pic to the ex that night :D

One thing you may notice is that the event had nothing to do with reenacting this year, that came later. It was all about the history, the literature, some pirate fun, and everything was happening at different venues around town. It was a great way to enjoy a pirate event as well as get to better know Key West.

After the festival I was hooked. I went home and immediately got in contact with some of the pirates I met… One of them being Hurricane (little did I know a few years later he would be my first ex-captain and first ex-husband, just racking up those 'firsts' eh? :lol: ). I joined his crew and after he heard me singing he dubbed me 'Diosa De Cancion' which translates to 'Goddess of Song'. So, there folks is where I got my pirate start... thank you PIP!!!

At PIP that first year I met SO many people - Sheila, who has become one of my closest friends, Hurricane, Nigel, Stynky, Bawdy Be, Cascabel, Jamaica Rose, Michael MacLeod, Sully and Olaf who became two of my dearest pirate kids, as well as others I am sure I am forgetting, I heard Rusty Cutlass for the first time… It was an amazing and magical time in Key West, as each year since has been…

That's enough reading for you all for now… Later on, we'll look at 2004 and beyond...

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

That was my first year, too. The DVD Release party was quite the coup for the festival. And they didn't spare any expense in putting it on. One of my favorite things our crew did that year was story time at the library. We also visited the retirement home on Stock Island to bring the festival to those who weren't physically able to go there.

I still remember getting the van at Miami and piling six or so of us into it and driving down the keys for the first time. It was dark when we got to Miami and when we drove down, the sun turned the blackness to this amazing turquoise and green - still my favorite time to drive down to Key West.

The trial was at the Old City Hall back then - still the best venue for it. It looked the most like a court room and you felt like you were really watching the trial. My son married Bawdy Be that year. I think he was 5 then. They still talk on the phone occasionally.

After the evening's events we were all in the streets of Duval so all the pirate crewes would continue to meet up and spread the word about the festival. That was really a great part of the event in those days.

I married this reporter girl at the Mel Fisher Museum for 24 hours. My toes were tingling. Oddly, the place we stood there to exchange vows was at the Pirate Dinner Theater in Orlando when we exchanged our real vows for Diosa's first marriage and first ex husband. That was also the year that Sir Nigel fell in love with Yellowbeard's step daughter and I thought he was going to be punched out by him at one time.

The fight circles were over at the Historic Seaport. I will have to post the hilarious photo of Wrong Way and another pirate passed out on the dock there together. Really good times and there wasn't the distinction between crewes as there is now. It was just one big rolling party of good friends and good times.

gallery_32_353_279961.jpg

Loved the events at the Customs House, Banana Bay and Mel Fisher's. I'm sorry we don't do those any longer.

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Cool stories. I love good stories. I didn't know Bawdy Be was married! :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

PIP 2004

(just as a note, this starts out a little slower...with info on how the fest was run, but there are some fun stories a little later on :) )

2004 was the first time I saw Fort Zachary Taylor Park as it was the first year on the beach. My crewe was setting up a display area where I was also selling pirate jewelry, coins and other offerings.

In the one year's time since I had gone to my first pirate event, I was now not only going to attend the fest again, but this time I was part of a crewe and taking part in MANY events!

I know we had some sails on the wolf early on, which were very fun

crewe-wolf-rum.jpg

I also recall working with the kiddies at Mel Fisher's on Saturday November 27th. We had fun out doing activities and playing games with the kids all day at the museum. I do miss that.

In addition to doing the kids event, I also had a meeting with the management there to sell jewelry and other pirate items to them for their gift shop, a relationship that still continues. I've gone through many sales managers and now I just deal with the Executive Director, Melissa Kendrick who is an awesome and fun chick who loves pirates!...yeah, I know.. I'm off track... I also met with the folks at Pirate Soul (and got a behind the scene tour) and met Pat Croce and his daughter Kelly. She was picking out items for them to sell in the store there as well and featured some of my jewelry.

Later that day, we hosted a pub stroll… ok, to be honest, I remember being exhausted before the pub crawl even got underway because someone forgot to tell the pubs we were coming and make sure they were ready and had drink deals set up. So I was literally running all over town trying to sort it all out in the 30 minutes or so before the crawl started. I love organization... Funny enough, what I do remember is that while I am not a drinker, the 'punch' that Crabby Bills was serving was pretty yummy! We had 20-30 people on the stroll and had a good time wandering through the streets of KW for the evening.

After that, we went to the Brethren of the Coast's Pirate Feast at the Key West Yacht Club. This is another of those examples of how things moved all over the island in these days. There was a great dinner at the Club and an auction to raise money for one of many charities. To be honest, I don't recall what charity it was…usually it was an arts in education type of thing. But there were a number of these charity auctions and silent auctions held over the course of the event.

Sunday November 28th had a number of events back to back as well. I am sitting here wondering how we made it to all of them to be honest.

The first one was the Southernmost Hotel & Resort's Pirates' Pool Party. That one was easy since we were staying at the Hotel. We were doing music and had a couple display for the kiddies. Sully (who used to be known as Master Studley) and Olaf had arrived by then and set up a little makeshift 'booth' area and were playing period games. That was the first time I saw and played sweat rag when sully brought it out and taught me the game!

Later on was the Literature & the Sea Authors and Historians Reception at The Gardens Hotel. The Gardens had a very beautiful area out back. There were little trails you could walk though and see the colorful foliage. I remember hearing Kat Epple (http://www.katepple.com/) playing while I walked through the greenery. I remember walking with Sheila and bitching about men ☺ I also remember that we were playing some music, sitting on the stairs that entered the garden area. At some point Finbar jumped in on the conga and I think Kat even popped in. For the life of me, I cannot remember what song it was. I do remember the feeling of the moment being such an enjoyable confluence of musicians in a stunning setting.

From there, we headed over to the Atlantic Shores Resort's One-Eyed Pirates Tea Dance. It was a blast and I am sad this resort went condo and no longer is used as a venue. They had a long pier that you could walk out on with your drinks and was just a very fun social setting. I also remember one of the best responses I have been given. On the rare occurrences I actually drink, it's usually something really yummy or I won't touch it…so I walked up to the bar and said 'Hi, I would like something that's not too strong and really fruity." To which the bartender pointed to the bartender next to him and said 'I hear he's available." I laughed and then he went to work and created a 'pearl diver' for me. (Which by the way is coconut rum, melon liqueur and pineapple juice)

I don't remember anything amazingly noteworthy of the next few days, but I do remember the Hog's Breath Saloon evening with the most buxom wench contest. If I recall, Jamaica Rose walked away with that one!

Speaking of walking…. I also remember Thursday night's "Banana Bay Resort's Buccaneer Bash & Norma Miller's 85th Birthday Party where Hurricane tried to walk on water, but that's his story to tell….

Also on Thursday was prep for the weekend festival at Fort Taylor. As has been mentioned before, the set up of this was a little messy. The signage for the event had been taken with an angry former Mary Read as she left the island…. So, once Raven and the signs left, Julie asked Hurricane and I what we could do… our answer… work! She supplied sailcloth and paint, and we lined the decks of the hotel making signs for all the areas of the fest site. And thankfully, I took a picture! It was one of those 'bonding' experiences.

crewe-paintingparty.jpg

Then we were able to set up our space on site which was kind of pirate looking, but not period correct

crewe-wenches-sign.jpg

Among the weekend offerings were land/sea battles with the Wolf sailing up the coast along the shoreline, fight circles where everyone fighting was named Jack (it was that group's gimmick) and the Dread Pirate Game competition. Steve Edmiston, the designer of the game came to KW with a number of the games and set up a pirate competition. He would teach the basics and the winners tended to get the game, which was a good deal since it was the nice 'premium' edition.

dread_pirate_detail.jpg

He also had the "Master and Commander' version of the game, which had just come out. So, being a good pirate, I figured out a way to get one without having to pay a fortune for it. As I mentioned, there were a lot of auctions going on. One of the silent auctions that week at El Meson De Pepe was for a game. I was bidding back and forth with a guy, and it got to $100 and he let it drop. Well, at least I thought he did. In actuality, he had not made it back to the table to up his bid. So, after I collected it, he came up to me and offered twice the amount to buy it from me. I sold it to him for $200 and handed the $200 to Julie and asked her to find me another one (since we had the designer in town, it was not a problem, she had a whole box of them) So, the charity got a double donation and I got my game without paying for it :) I still have it, and inside, it is signed to me by the designer. One of my first signed souvenirs from PIP ☺

And since this is rambling on longer than it should, just one more story to share and I will be done…. It was the year of the first Walk the Plank competition. Thinking of how cool it would look, the decision was made to have the Wolf sail up off the beach, just past those break rocks that were about 100 yards out in the water. Because of its draft, the ship had to go a little further out.

We thought we had it all covered. I was perched at one end of the ship and Deadly Aim at the other. We were both swimmers and going to be the safety personnel, ready to jump in and help someone who was having a problem. The water looked ok from the surface… oh, what the surface doesn't tell you….

The first plank walker was Jennifer (who placed this year)

plank-dive.jpg

She swam around the ship and climbed back on board with little problem. Then the other contestants started walking and decided to swim ashore (as it would take a while for the Wolf to get back to the marina and for them to get back to the festival) Among those making the leap were Don Maitz and Sheila. They quickly realized there was something not so friendly happening under the surface. The current was desperately trying to take them to Cuba. I watched them struggle to get to the break rocks, but they made it. I breathed a sigh of relief when we ran out of contestants…. That sigh was premature.

Nigel, who was a judge perched on a rowboat with Master Sully, was going to make a cute little display and 'fall in the water' so he could get back to shore…. He swore to me he was a great swimmer. He lied (Sorry Nigel, I love you though! ☺) He hit the water and the current started pulling him. I saw him bob under a few times and knew he needed help. I dove in the water and swam towards him. He was, perhaps, 20 yards from the rocks, but was not making any headway. I got up to him and tried to tell him to relax and let me help him, but he kept trying to swim, in a different manner than I was, which made things worse. He dragged me under a few times and when I was close enough to the rocks I was somehow able to somewhat toss him through the water onto them. I'm still not sure how I did it, but I suppose the desire not to be drowned helped. I remember later seeing the cuts and blood from him landing on the rocks, but he was breathing, so I considered it a good rescue.

Then Deadly Aim decided to hop into the water to get to shore. Well. I had intentionally dressed in 'pirate-looking' clothing that was all tight-fitting to help me swim…she had put on a skirt. She hit the water and started to sink. Luckily some of the guys on the Wolf had, by then, un-tethered the dinghy and rescued her. Here's a look at us post-event

plank-drownies.jpg

Also, just as another side not (I know, I said I was wrapping up…but it's still related.) So, this relates to Master Sully's arms and strength. He was rowing the boat that Nigel was in. Let's remember, there was an INSANE current, yet he was able to control that rowboat in like it was in a kiddie pool. And the moment I remember fondly is a few of us who were on the Wolf chuckling and watching his rowboat (and two others) launch from the shore. He was able to move that boat through the water at such speed, as compared to the others, it looked like they were standing still.

nigel-studleyboat.jpg

While this pic doesn't show it, damn, you should see that man's arms... To this day I'm in lust of them… but wait…I'm his pirate mom. That would be incest…sigh… I'll admire from a distance…

Ahem! Alrighty then, that's what I recall from PIP 2004 and my view of the event's history that year :D

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com