Spoons

wes1761

I have an old pewter spoon, Its got to be a repo, but looks similar to this:

17thcenturyspoona.jpg

I am thinking of making a mold for it and maybe making a set or two of spoons. Question is, does anyone know possible age or period of said spoon styles?

Thanks!

Wes

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

From the description of spoon styles in "Artifacts of Colonial America" this is probably a Puritan style spoon, a development in style which occurred around 1660 according to Ivor Noel Hume. Check out this pic on ebay toward the bottom of this page:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PURITAN-STYLE-PEWTER-SPOON-/160485370892

and this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17TH-c-PURITAN-PEWTER-SPOON-2-OLD-COLLECTION-/130439912724#ht_500wt_1156

And this article has lots of styles, and perhaps an example just like yours:

http://www.pastmasters.info/PewterSpoons.pdf

Please PM me when you start casting! I may have a project for you biggrin.gif

I have an old pewter spoon, Its got to be a repo, but looks similar to this:

17thcenturyspoona.jpg

I am thinking of making a mold for it and maybe making a set or two of spoons. Question is, does anyone know possible age or period of said spoon styles?

Thanks!

Wes

Wes,

Try this site, is quite helpful and comes from the source of it all - Port Royal - long before New Providence was en vogue for later GAoP types. This thesis paper has a vast amount of info throughout apropos to your inquiry. Illustrations & pictures of period spoons on pages: 29-30, 39-40, 42, 45, 64, 66, 68, 72, 76, 78, 81, 84, 86, 89, 96, 99, 104-105, 107, 111, 113, 117, 119, 121, 125, and 128. Source material: Historical Analysis of Pewter Spoons Recovered from the Sunken City of Port Royal, Jamaica (1985) by Catheryn Ann Wadley. Master's thesis, Department of Anthropology, Texas A&M University, College Station. Weblink to Master’s Thesis: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/pdf-files/Wadely-MA1985.pdf

The following source contains only a few spoons dug at Jamestown. However, such are certainly of the era and might be of interest in your search for spoon info. Source material: New Discoveries at Jamestown: Site of the First Successful English Settlement in America (1957) by John L. Cotter & J. Paul Hudson: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16277/16277-h/16277-h.htm (spoons pictured in part two, table accessories, knives/forks/spoons)

Brass

one of Morgan's Men, "Guantanamo Jack" Brass

"No peace beyond the line"

Thanks for those sources! Mine for this type of thing were rather disappointingsad.gif

Wes,

Try this site, is quite helpful and comes from the source of it all - Port Royal - long before New Providence was en vogue for later GAoP types. This thesis paper has a vast amount of info throughout apropos to your inquiry. Illustrations & pictures of period spoons on pages: 29-30, 39-40, 42, 45, 64, 66, 68, 72, 76, 78, 81, 84, 86, 89, 96, 99, 104-105, 107, 111, 113, 117, 119, 121, 125, and 128. Source material: Historical Analysis of Pewter Spoons Recovered from the Sunken City of Port Royal, Jamaica (1985) by Catheryn Ann Wadley. Master's thesis, Department of Anthropology, Texas A&M University, College Station. Weblink to Master's Thesis: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/pdf-files/Wadely-MA1985.pdf

The following source contains only a few spoons dug at Jamestown. However, such are certainly of the era and might be of interest in your search for spoon info. Source material: New Discoveries at Jamestown: Site of the First Successful English Settlement in America (1957) by John L. Cotter & J. Paul Hudson: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16277/16277-h/16277-h.htm (spoons pictured in part two, table accessories, knives/forks/spoons)

Brass

Some good info there, mates.

T' answer thy question there, Wes... from what images I've seen of the real thing and replicas, a couple hundred years from the time of QE1 to the Am Rev War. So, aye, this is a good spoon. One of MANY great shapes and examples. I'm not at m' comp where I've some images of the real deal. Email and I'll send ye some images. Hows that? There's never enough good spoons, forks and knives at this time. Plus, better yet, a Hostess set and more! Apparently, some folks still believe this time frame was still in the dark ages with bone and wood rustic and rudamentary utensils. Pfst! Oh, please!

How much would ye charge for a spoon like that?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Seein how I have never made a spoon before, I have no idea on a price. I have made several items by casting and I have a bunch of old pewter to melt down, so I am not going to sweat that. Heck, if it turns out I'll send ya some......email sent as well

Sounds like a heck of a project for ye, Wes. Can't wait t' see the finished products.

There be but a couple places out there, Gibson Pewter that has a couple spoons but not a huge variety of them. Nor forks and knives which a couple Sutlers carry the basic style. Worse, the wood and horn. I prefer the metal above the wood and horn.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 1 month later...

I just got a new (well, a really, really old - new to me) spoon:

168686_1274382397018_1753703435_522780_1193601_n.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thanks! I am going to put a lanyard through it and wear it around my neck at events and call it a medicine spoon. (Except at meal times, when it will become a regular spoon.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

It's bronze, from the late 17th or early 18th c. The loop is for steadying it which is why it is thought to be a medicine spoon.

Mission_banner5.JPG

It never fails to amuse me how we rough, tough pyrate guys will geek out over the oddest things. A spoon. Stitch types and applications. Making women's clothing. Shoes.

Hey! Nice spoon!

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor not a pirate!

(I think the past 7 years I have spent on this board have mostly been in waiting for this very moment.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

What size is your spoon Mission? It puts me in mind of a baby/toddler spoon. Cant wait to see it in person! ...you too. ;)

It's a full-sized spoon based on one of the photos of a person holding it.

I can't wait to see it in person myself. (It's coming over from the mother country.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Not sure if I posted these, this is the spoon I was referring to when I originally posted:

spoon2.jpg

spoon1.jpg

I have finished a rough mold, and will maybe try to cast tomorrow....

For some reason, I really like this spoon......go figure!

Not sure if I posted these, this is the spoon I was referring to when I originally posted:

spoon2.jpg

spoon1.jpg

I have finished a rough mold, and will maybe try to cast tomorrow....

For some reason, I really like this spoon......go figure!

These spoons look like ones from around 1840. The style is very similar to ones in use for centuries. The main difference is the round bowl. The way to be certain is the touchmark. There should be a letter stamped on the bottom. If you look up the letter and font you will know what year it was made.

They turn up occasionally. I got four for $40 a few years ago from a dealer who should have looked up what he had.

What size is your spoon Mission? It puts me in mind of a baby/toddler spoon. Cant wait to see it in person! ...you too. :rolleyes:

It's a full-sized spoon based on one of the photos of a person holding it.

I can't wait to see it in person myself. (It's coming over from the mother country.)

Got this today. It's quite heavy. It's approximately 7-1/2 inches long. It's a bit smaller than a standard tablespoon.

Mission_banner5.JPG

OK, here is the first VERY rough casting...obviously my mold needs a tad bit of "tweaking" it is next to original for comparison. I have not done any filing or anything yet:

1stspooncasting.jpg