EBAY real pirate hook?

Well, the rollers on the buckles suggest that it's of 20th century construction, there's absolutely no provenance provided, nor evidence of a pirate ever wearing a hook. Just as likely to be an old theatre prop for Peter Pan as it is to be a genuine prosthetic.

The seller is going to let buyers determine the price, as long as it's over $900...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

must agree with Foxe, the buckles say certainly not from our time frame (GAoP)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The copper rivets are definitely 20th century. It's reminiscent of three or four types of tack I have hanging in the garage from the early 1900s. That said, it's a genuine hook most likely used for someone who lost an arm. 'Pirate' is a stereotypic reach, but hey, they guy wants to sell this thing, so he's pulling out all the stops.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The hook itself is definitely factory-made rod, not made by a blacksmith - too smooth. The oldest buckles I have seen with rollers were on horse harnesses dating from the 1880's and after. I have never seen a smith-made buckle with a roller though factory made buckles may date back to the 1700's to furnish the harness makers (who were not smiths).

Captain of Enterprise out of Rheault Bay

I'm with Foxe. It's too modern. Looks like something from the 20th century. Sorry, not a real pirate hook. But I suppose one could use it as a pirate hook if ye wanted. Tis a nice find, Gertie. Rather cool! Does indeed need to be in a museum. Like Old Threshers.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!