PIP Update!

Diosa De Cancion

The Fort Zachery Taylor Pirate Invasion was a blast! Never made it to the Thieves Market, I was having too much fun at the fort...

Same here, we never made it outside of the fort location of the Pirates in Paradise/Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion since arriving Thursday until leaving on Monday. Many of those participating never even felt the need to go elsewhere since so much was available and going on within the fort grounds. Between the battles, photo shoots, cooking, eating, drinking, fellowship, partying, singing, etc, etc, etc, there was never enough time to visit the more civilian events outside of the actual PIP pirate invasion. We even had our share of period pirate vendors inside the fort and we made a point of getting something from each of them. It was great to see and talk to everyone again and many, many thanks go out to Fayma, Lily, the fort employees, and all the others Pyracy Pub members who help put the pirate encampment together and made the greatest part of the PIP festival possible.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

I think that's the beauty of the whole thing - something for everyone at Pirates in Paradise. It has always been a place where everyone can be who they want to be, from fantasy and hysterical to hard core.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

So true, so true. It is Key West, after all.

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I didn't even get to the beach until Monday. It was all crazy, silly fun. The trident was awesome. Cross needs to be sedated once a day. Mission, Shay and Pete should not be allowed to travel together at any time. Crispy is still...well...the same. I got to shoot Jack in the back point blank. It was cold. So many things I could mention and all of them fantastic.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

ok, since I started this thread.... time to finish it.... Here is the rest of my review of the weekend... there are a handful of good pics and also about 2700 words, so get ready for a little read! I tried to mention all the high points, but really were I to do that it would have gone on forever!!

Mary Read Blog

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

In response to comments by the one who is known as Iron John, I am His Ugliness Finbar the Terrible of Cayo Hueso, commander of the pirate schooner WOLF and I take it as an abject insult to me and my crew to be referred to as ‘Civilians’ just because we did not ‘camp out’ at the Fort.

I also serve as Admiral of the Conch Republic Military and as Supreme Commander of Conch Republic Military Forces, and as such, my duties have included a number of Missions of Mercy to our fellow islanders following various natural disasters, such as hurricanes and earthquakes – some of which were quite dangerous in nature. My forces have also done battle with the United States Coast Guard and proudly defend our Republic, from Key to shining Key. I am also an active merchant marine officer and have served with the US Coast Guard.

My shipmates and I, including my honorable wife, Blossom the Bad Ass, are also responsible for producing the Pirates in Paradise Festival and its many signature community events that make up the 10 day maritime historic celebration. Perhaps you are unaware that PIP was created to showcase Key West’s Rich and Colorful Maritime Heritage and designed to draw visitors to the island who wish to spend money in the community and frequent our island’s many unique historic venues, in addition to Fort Taylor.

The Pirates in Paradise Festival’s Literature and the Sea Maritime Retreat (going on its 12th year) has brought some of the most renowned authors and historians on piracy to the island, including David Cordingly, Sandra Riley and Angus Konstam.(and every year we are fortunate to welcome back Don Maitz, Janny Wurr, Robert Macomber, Christine and Michael Lampe and others to share their knowledge with historical presentations.) To call them “CIVILIANS” is an insult to each.

The Festival’s annual End of Hurricane Season Party and Conch Republic Military Key West Maritime Holiday Extravaganza (always on November 30) is most certainly not a ‘CIVILIAN’ event, as attendees include members of the United States and Conch Republic Military High Command and many of PIP Festival historic re-enactors, including Cascabel, Braze, Diosa, and our local favorites Deadeye, Leatherback and Scarlet.

To call them “CIVILIANS” is an insult.

Yes, our Most Buxom Wench & Bad Ass Pirate Contest, Pyrates of the Coast Walk the Plank National Championships(Klaus from Pirate’s Magazine, was this year’s winner), El Meson de Pepe’s Caribbean Pirates Dinner and Kelly’s Caribbean Literature and the Sea Luncheon encourage the public to join our historic re-enactors in the fun. But then, that is the purpose of the Pirates in Paradise Festival, as we encourage our re-enactors and pirate performers to interact with the public throughout the island, and not hole themselves up inside the Fort, never going anywhere.

This year we were glad to bring the Festival’s Village Thieves’ Market to the Truman Waterfront Commons and welcome back many of our vendors who had been turned away the past six years at the Fort as their ware’s did not fit the period. Perhaps you weren’t aware of it, as you never left the Fort, but many of our vendors set up at the Truman Waterfront were period artists and craftsmen and to call them “CIVILIANS” is an insult to their craft.

And you call us Civilians! Shame on your ass.

His Ugliness, Admiral Finbar

No slight or insult was intended to you or the others in my use of words in my previous post. I used "civilian" intending the meaning -

a : of or relating to citizens

b : of or relating to the state or its citizenry

c : of, relating to, or involving the general public, their activities, needs, or ways, or civic affairs as distinguished from strictly military affairs

Seeing as how the battles between the pirates, pirate hunters, British, and Spanish soldiers and their encampments were located inside a military fort the use of the word "civilian" for the events outside of the fort (which also involve the general public) is not derogatory in my opinion.

I have seen or participated in the events you mentioned in previous years, as well as the Ann and Mary trial, and enjoyed them very much. I chose not to attend those same events this year as I was having a good enough time doing the things I enjoy more and this filled up my weekend with little time to spare.

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

The Fort Zachery Taylor Pirate Invasion was a blast! Never made it to the Thieves Market, I was having too much fun at the fort...

Same here, we never made it outside of the fort location of the Pirates in Paradise/Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion since arriving Thursday until leaving on Monday. Many of those participating never even felt the need to go elsewhere since so much was available and going on within the fort grounds. Between the battles, photo shoots, cooking, eating, drinking, fellowship, partying, singing, etc, etc, etc, there was never enough time to visit the more civilian events outside of the actual PIP pirate invasion. We even had our share of period pirate vendors inside the fort and we made a point of getting something from each of them. It was great to see and talk to everyone again and many, many thanks go out to Fayma, Lily, the fort employees, and all the others Pyracy Pub members who help put the pirate encampment together and made the greatest part of the PIP festival possible.

Come to think of it, while re-reading my previous post, I feel that I have nothing at all to apologize for or defend!

Jonathan Washbourne

As a clarification, there is no such thing as a PiP pirate invasion. That is the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion. Pirates in Paradise does not currently have an invasion.

I believe that is part of the problem here. Many people want to think the fort event is Pirates in Paradise, when it is not. It is the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion. It is merely a small subset of a much larger 10 day festival throughout the community.

And the constant confusion only makes the people who actually run PiP, i.e. the Admiral, Blossom and countless others in the Key West community, more angry.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

And the constant confusion only makes the people who actually run PiP, i.e. the Admiral, Blossom and countless others in the Key West community, more angry.

So, is that the only problem with my post?

I'm sorry, was there another pirate invasion going on during the Pirates in Paradise festival that I'm unaware of? If there wasn't then me referring to the event inside the fort as "PIP pirate invasion" should not cause such an outcry from a select few. I could even call it the Key West pirate invasion if I chose to... or would that bring the anger of all the "civilians" in Key West down upon me?

Jonathan Washbourne

I know that to some the distinction is small, but there are actually two different festivals going on at the same time. And the constant melding of the two is inaccurate and a bit disrespectful to those who work so hard to put these two events on.

To thank Finbar and Blossom for the great Pyrate Invasion would get an immediate outcry from those here who know they had nothing to do with its planning. Conversely, thanking others for Pirates in Paradise causes the same hurt feelings. And yet, you see it throughout the posts. And you wonder why someone's ire is raised.

They are very different events targeted to entirely different people. Different people work on them. They receive their support from different sources.

And frankly, saying that you went to PiP without attending the actual Pirate in Paradise events is akin to saying you went to Puerto Rico but never stepped off the cruise ship. You really didn't go to PiP, you went to the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion instead.

I know some people will never get it... but those of us in marketing persist. For what reason, I often ask why? :lol:

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Sigh.... ok... while I usually try to leave my flesh as far away from the lions den as possible...... I am going to hop in here for a second.

Please, everyone, take a breath and humor me for a post. I am going to try to chose my words carefully, but if I don't, as we all know I am at times a bit brash with words, please do not try to infer the worst out of what I have to say.

First, I have a many year history as being a part of Pirates in Paradise and also with the Fort Taylor Pirate invasion, so I think I can speak for both sides...

There does need to be understanding that there are TWO distinct events that happen to work in conjunction with each other this year in Key West. The Pirates in Paradise Festival and Fort Taylor Pirates Invasion are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT EVENTS. Do many of the same people attend both events? Yes. But that does not change the fact that there is a LOT of blood, sweat, tears and cash spent on both sides of things. So, I do understand that it may feel like a shot to the people who put so much work and effort into making PIP happen to see all of the credit for making it a success going somewhere else. I have to admit, I would think it was quite stinging if I killed myself to bring an event to life to see someone else be given all the props for it. I think much of this is based on the misunderstanding about the fact that they are two separate events. I know we have been calling them the same thing for a while, but let's do a little re-education and call them by their proper names so people can understand which thing you are talking about.

Now, that said, I do not believe Iron Jon meant any offense with his 'civilians' statement. It, I believe, was meant in much the same way that Harry Potter folks refer to those who are not immersed in it as Muggles, and I have heard the 'civilians' term used at many other reenactments about those who are not reenactors. I think that is a very common term used and not thought of as an insult when used within the reenactor community, just a way to define those who do not 'live the history'. That said, I also know Finbar and how very seriously he takes his role as the Admiral of the Conch Republic Military, not to mention other military folks I know who would definitely take some umbrage at being titled a 'civilian'. I just really believe that was a context issue and was not meant to be offensive.

I am a little saddened to see where things have been going as of late. I know there are many forces that are causing the wider divide of both events, many of which those involved with putting on the two events have no control over, and stuff that frankly is not for us wee pirates to get involved in at this point. But there are fantastic offerings to be had at each of these venues.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the literary offerings of PIP and met fantastic authors and historians. I have a treasured friendship with Sandra Riley and Peggy Hall that I would not have had without meeting them at PIP. I would not have had my massive collection of Don Maitz paintings and drawings of ME without PIP, as well as the Norma parties, End of Hurricane Season (and my role in the Conch Republic), coming in second in the most Buxom Wench contest, the gathering of pirates in that adorable alcove of tables at El Meson and in the past the ability to sing a few big band tunes while dressed in pirate clothes. These are all things I would not trade for anything and I have Julie, Finbar and the PIP cast and crew to thanks for that!

Likewise, I also love the Fort Taylor Pirate invasion and the pirate family that has formed there. I had not known that type of thing happened until spending time camping with these crazy pirates from all over the world. I have met amazing people who I look up to for their skills and talents in reenacting. As I mentioned in my blog, standing there, in the darkness, listening to a 150-strong pirate family serving up dinner and having a great time was priceless. As is walking through Fort Zach in the middle of the night under that star-filled sky hearing nothing but the whip of canvas in the wind. And of course there's nothing like a bunch of our voices coming together, singing, in Old Zach's Tavern at the end of a day.

Not all pirates are going to be 'double festival' pirates. Some of you will only want to be on the reenacting side. Some will only want to be on the PIP side, and that's great! Key West is all about that! Heck! They pride themselves on being one human family and that goes for the pirate community too folks.

As I wrap up, I do not want anyone to take ANY offense by what I have said. Nothing I have written here was written with any malice. I was just trying to point out a little of the misunderstanding that I think is happening....

I really do love you all for all kinds of different and wonderful reasons and I hope that everyone can just step back, breathe and we can start to soften up a little bit.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

... and I hope that everyone can just step back, breathe and we can start to soften up a little bit.

Well said, every word of it.

Thanks!

Jonathan Washbourne

Very well said.

Perhaps we can create a new thread and pin with with an explanation of what's what for the new folks as well as the old timers. It may help keep the air clear going forward. A brief explanation of the two and how the fit together but are separate.

I will unselfishly volunteer Diosa to write it. :lol:

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Not all pirates are going to be 'double festival' pirates. Some of you will only want to be on the reenacting side. Some will only want to be on the PIP side, and that's great! Key West is all about that! Heck! They pride themselves on being one human family and that goes for the pirate community too folks.

I think that really sums the whole thing up. The two festivals give you the opportunity to engage in whatever sort of pirate fun appeals to you most. We tend to talk more about the Fort Taylor part here and it's nice to have another of the organizers of PiP chime in.

Admiral Finbar, welcome to the pub! Admiral, meet Iron Jon. Iron Jon, meet the Admiral. If you two had met, I'll bet you'd have gotten along famously. (IJ is the great provider of provender.)

(Now when is someone going to sit down and write that History of PiP book we're always talking about...? "Pirates in Paradise was born in the wilds of...Marathon? Islamorada? I always forget...")

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Well said and written Diosa.

It makes those of us who did not make it this year "want" to come next year and experience all that Key West and Fort Taylor and the festival have to offer.

It is a grand thing what we all do as pirates, we raise monies for charity, we help those who need it the most, we entertain and most of all we educate and make children smile.

We enjoy doing what we do, more so than most people, because we embrace the history as well as the romance.

In the big scheme of things isn't this why we do what we do!

May the holidays bring happiness, fair winds and calm seas.

Antonio Gumbatz, The Italian Pirate

Ships cook, Rum swizzler, Swordsman, Flirt.

www.babuccs.com