18 oz. canvas

silas thatcher

found a source for 18 oz. canvas, 60" wide for $9.00/ yard... seems like a pretty good deal to me.... what i was thinking of making with it is a new and larger dining fly...since most of them are usually using 10 0r 12 oz. canvas, i am thinking that a fly with this weight material would be heavy and troublesome....

any one with some experience chime in here ??

found a source for 18 oz. canvas, 60" wide for $9.00/ yard... seems like a pretty good deal to me.... what i was thinking of making with it is a new and larger dining fly...since most of them are usually using 10 0r 12 oz. canvas, i am thinking that a fly with this weight material would be heavy and troublesome....

i think you would be right. if you are good at sewing canvas, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have some around it would be great to use to reenforce tentage or to make things were a heavy weight is needed. in the navy we would make chain bags out of it. i have a bag made from that weight that i use to carry fire wood into the house. it's tough stuff. i might look around and see what i can find in that wieght i have a few winter projects in mind.

Aye...ye chose some monstrously heavy Canvas there...13 oz. is heavey for a fly...$9 a yard is a good price but,like you said, twould be cumbersome...Not to mention the pine trees to support it....I think 18oz. twould be a good choice for a small coastie sail material..

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins