Great Guns of the Mercury

William Brand

While working on the draughts of the Mercury back in 2007 I was against a deadline to complete them in time for PIP, and we never finished discussing names for the great guns. With PIP around the corner I've been updating the draughts and adding more details and information, so I thought I'd start a thread abut the Great Guns of the Mercury. Since the Mercury is a smaller, early vessel of the 1700s, she carries cannon that are six pounders and smaller. She is also carrying a mixture of swivel guns (i.e., bronze pedereros, older falconets and some English brass).

This is the list as it is now, and I'll update it as we add the names of the last few.

Larboard Guns

1 - Patricia Morgan: 4 pounder

3 - Nemesis: 6 pounder

5 - Dangerous Donna: 6 pounder

7 - Jupiter: 6 pounder

9 - Hell,s Breath: 4 pounder

11 - Andrea Doria: 4 pounder

13 - Veritas: 4 pounder

Starboard Guns

2 - Maeve: 4 Pounder

4 - Discordia: 6 Pounder

6 - Loud Lucy: 6 pounder

8 - Mars: 6 pounder

10 - Titan: 4 pounder

12 - Kraken Slayer: 4 pounder

14 - Aequitas: 4 pounder

The names all come from members of the Mercury then and now who wanted to or who were invited to contribute. I've seriously considered renaming Jupiter and Mars (which I named after a discussion in chat), and I welcome your thoughts on any of the names.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

[quote name=

This is the list as it is now, and I'll update it as we add the names of the last few.

Larboard Guns

1 - Patricia Morgan: 4 pounder

3 - Nemesis: 6 pounder

5 - Dangerous Donna: 6 pounder

7 - Jupiter: 6 pounder

9 - Hell,s Breath: 4 pounder

11 - Andrea Doria: 4 pounder

13 - Veritas: 4 pounder

Starboard Guns

2 - Maeve: 4 Pounder

4 - Discordia: 6 Pounder

6 - Loud Lucy: 6 pounder

8 - Mars: 6 pounder

10 - Titan: 4 pounder

12 - Kraken Slayer: 4 pounder

14 - Aequitas: 4 pounder

The names all come from members of the Mercury then and now who wanted to or who were invited to contribute. I've seriously considered renaming Jupiter and Mars (which I named after a discussion in chat), and I welcome your thoughts on any of the names.

Tis a shame ye waited so long, Master Red Wake - lyrics for "The Guns of Hampton" have been written fair by the ship's clerk and we are practicing even as we speak. Nice names though - much more lyrical then some of the names other crews sent us.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

• 9 months later...

Mates any name will do! I want to fire them all !!!!!! Finsihed cannon school today with all my fingers and eyesight in tack,,,,,,,,I am now certified..or certifiable as the case may be.......make ready the 6 pounder......powder monkey Traiga el cartucho !!!!!!!!

Yo Ho!

Yo Ho.......