Dead Man's Chest 2010

William Brand

With the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion but weeks away, it falls to me this year to conduct the solemn business of auctioning a fellow sailor's goods before the mast. Will I endeavor to do perform the necessities of said office with the proper amount of respect, dignity, decorum, gravity, sublimity, stateliness, poise, hauteur, elevation, significance, prestige and appetency? Aye. Will it still degenerate into a raucous, clamorous, stentorian, vehement, fulminating, obstreperous, lusty, bawdy, emphatic, tumultuous, rambunctious, blaring, pealing, cacophony of pyrate revelry...? Aye. Most likely. Still, the cause is just (if not the audience) and the poor lad's goods must be purchased ere we send his soul to climbs high or caverns deep, so please come with goods in hand to be added to the dead man's chest.

Those unfamiliar with the custom should know that we ask for objects of a personal, functional, pyratey nature to be sold to the participants and guests of the fort at auction. These goods are sold off to the highest bidder to raise money for the coffers of the ship (or in this case, the Fort). It is a long standing tradition to sell the belongings of a fallen sailor 'before the mast' and we do so to raise money for Fort Zachary Taylor, long may it stand.

It's also terribly, terribly silly fun.

Soooo...you rum-rank adz dubbers, you lee-lurching, lash-laden lads of the leech-lines, you sea-sodden and scurvy scavelmen, you jack-dusty-jack-o'coins-jack-tars fresh freed from the jack-ketch, you...you...you other folk...

...join us for a night of well meaning, well played, well spent spending at the 2010 Dead Man's Chest Auction at the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion on Friday night at 7:30 PM in the fort. Please feel free to contact me, donate early and ship goods to Fayma for the auction in advance.

Yours in service and not too few words,

-William Brand

Excommunicated Clergyman, Once Captain, Quartermaster of the Mercury, Purveyor of Fyne Goods, Auctioneer, Expatriated Pyrate and sometimes Puppeteer.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Weeks? or a week? :)

Hmmm... Tempting. Shall have to scrounge through my belongings and see what I have t' give up. Ideas in mind ye'd like t' see this year?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

We've seen many a good tankard, onion bottle and rum cup, so bring on the drinking games. We've sold pirate art, shirts, slops, bags, and all manner of clothing. Any little items will do. Just imagine any of the goods that a sailor might keep in his sea chest, such as a sailor's knife, pistol, Bone combs, stockings, monmouth caps, fids, jewelry, mirror, utensils, bowls, books, dice, cards, candles, scarves, baldrics, belts, tricorns, haversacks, needles, draughts, scissors, tools, charts, maps, buttons, coins, shoes, weskits, cutlass, flags, shaving knife, lead line, ponce, writing implements, quadrant, spyglass, compass, ditty bag, townsman wallet, lantern, bosun's whistle, etc.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I really wanted to get a clyster syringe for this auction, but not very many came up on eBay this year (seriously...this WHOLE year) and the ones that did went for $60+ which I doubted it would fetch in the auction. Ah, well.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here are a couple items we gathered from our recently departed mate:

If ye see something ye like... please save yer doubloons fer the benefit Auction at Fort Taylor!

Flask with the Winged Mercury crew logo:

001.jpg

Map Case with a Caribbean map tooled on the body, a serpent on the end cap, and a compass point on the bottom cap:

004.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!