winter projects

silas thatcher

over the winter, this is what i hope to accomplish.... wanna do some earlier garb ( 1660's) , need to make a few chairs, an extra table, maybe a few stools, and something like a side table...

need to get some tent canvas, make a sod cloth for the wedge tent ( sucks in a cold wind !! ) make a few bags for cooking stuff...make a few more sea bags to hide stuff in...make covers for stuff like the water container

set up the diamond shelter we just got, make a pole or two, and learn how to set it up correctly....may try making my own tent stakes, bought 10 of them for $2 each...but i need alot more !! gotta redo my tent ropes, the toggles i made slip too much ( too big a hole ! )

make proper lanyards for my ditty bags... cover a few more bottles, do knot work on my tent stake puller and a few other items...

maybe make a few collapsible chests to hide stuff in, maybe a table in a box...

dip more beeswax candles, the first ones turned out pretty good... hunt down some more lanterns that take stick candles...

find some proper shoes that won't break the bank !!

get a bigger fly for the wall tent....or maybe make one from some proper tent canvas...

yeah !! how much can i accomplish ???

That's a pretty long list Silas! I wish you all the best luck in it... In fact, it looks about as long as my list is... And to be honest, it takes me about two years to get through a list like that... :D Of course it doesn't help that a new item or two gets added to the list for every one I knock off the list. :lol:

Currently I am working on a new weskit for someone else.. Then I have a few leather working projects I need to get for some other people.. And then I will be starting on a big project for the "Costume Creation Month" Chole Black has initiated on Facebook (that will be a costuming piece of art). And then I have a whole bunch of things I aim to accomplish before Searle's Raid in March.

So are you thinking of making the 1660s stuff because you are considering going to Searle's? Or have you just decided you want earlier period stuff as well.

Michael_banner.jpg

Indeed, that is a massively long list of projects. My goodness! Hope ye won't be overwhelmed by February, Silas.

Oh, I nearly forgot about that, Michael! Geez! I'm a part of that. I think I have at least a new caraco jacket to be made for that.

Other items and projects I hope to accomplish this winter season: first off, finish my crimson silk robe a la francais (all it needs is the decorating frills) in time for Reenactor Fest. Rework my polonaise to be a little longer, rearrange the front to be more adjustable and add the gathered pleating down the back a la Anglaise. May be a new frock or two, rework some of my waistcoats and crimson velvet frock otherwise sell it so I can make another one. Not sure what all else, but hoping I have plenty of commissions during the winter months, too. I guess ask me in a month and we'll see what projects I need to work on. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I hope to finally get the presentation I did at PyrateCon 1 on Port Royal narrated and up on a site for others to see. Just got a Snowball mike to do the recording. So, that's on the list.

Second is to get my nautical music in order. Would like to add a new song every two weeks over the winter. And, perhaps, get the band to finally do a CD.

That should keep me busy enough. I also have a couple stage shows to write for next year's festival season.

Glad I don't have any sewing to add to my list for a change.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

wow - That list of projects is a whole camp!

I usually make a list and attack it. It's amazing how much you can get done on a weekend that way.

At this point I haven't thought much past PIP. so I'll defer to my pre-PIP list...

- Build a RedCoat uniform - Rev War or French&Indian - still deciding

- Acquire a first model Brown Bess

- Some kind of hat for my Pirate impression (besides the head scarf and Monmouth)

- An airline case for transporting weapons

- Build a longbow - to satisfy my forays into the 12th/15th century

- Build an archery target stand

- A concrete plan to make at least 3 quality pirate events in 2011 (no small task living in Arizona)

Projects leading up to PIP with last minute add-ins are occupying my time now. Then add Christmas shopping/preparations to that!

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Hey Silas...I have a candle mold if you want to borrow it, makes tapers...we are close enough that it wouldnt be a problem, save you some dipping time!!

Mad Pete...I am a distributor for MVTCo...I can get you a Long Land Bess on the cheap!! I get wholesale pricing.....

I need to finish my coat, get a new cocked hat, and build my camp barrel/kitchen box.....

Just put the top in the barrel:

barrel.jpg

Edited by wes1761

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

dear me, first in the list is....make it to pip!

-make earlier kit...because i MUST go to searl's raid cant stand to miss it....

-finish my 1704 marine coat and hat(the rest is done yyaaayyy) for MTA (though i may be the only marine lolololol)

-get bandolier and charges

-make a tool chest for all my new rigging tools. make chests for camp supplies

-get a rreeaalll tent and hammock to hang in it

-gather camp accessories so i dont starve.....and so camp looks "better"

- finish living history rigging demo

-sew more clothes in general

wow that's actually not that much physically....though financially........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Mad Pete...I am a distributor for MVTCo...I can get you a Long Land Bess on the cheap!! I get wholesale pricing.....

DOH! One more thing on the project list... save funds for a Brown Bess.

sorry - that one is a ways off yet...

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

dear me, first in the list is....make it to pip!

-make earlier kit...because i MUST go to searl's raid cant stand to miss it....

-finish my 1704 marine coat and hat(the rest is done yyaaayyy) for MTA (though i may be the only marine lolololol)

-get bandolier and charges

-make a tool chest for all my new rigging tools. make chests for camp supplies

-get a rreeaalll tent and hammock to hang in it

-gather camp accessories so i dont starve.....and so camp looks "better"

- finish living history rigging demo

-sew more clothes in general

wow that's actually not that much physically....though financially........

You will love Searles. I wish I could remember who made my chargers. Shay and I have the same ones. I'm going to try to make it back to Searles next year. Enjoyed my time there.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

sTILL WORKIN OMN MY mOVie short

"Treachery And A dead Mans Promise"

Found some cool molded barnacles cast in rubber to cut up and place on the walls of the cove.

Have alot of sewing to do ..need to add buttons on me British coat and sew bones on a ren fantisy Pirate hat.

Time almost to start plottin wot waters Eye wish to prowl upon next year>>>

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

wow - That list of projects is a whole camp!

I usually make a list and attack it. It's amazing how much you can get done on a weekend that way.

At this point I haven't thought much past PIP. so I'll defer to my pre-PIP list...

- Build a RedCoat uniform - Rev War or French&Indian - still deciding

- Acquire a first model Brown Bess

- Some kind of hat for my Pirate impression (besides the head scarf and Monmouth)

- An airline case for transporting weapons

- Build a longbow - to satisfy my forays into the 12th/15th century

- Build an archery target stand

- A concrete plan to make at least 3 quality pirate events in 2011 (no small task living in Arizona)

Projects leading up to PIP with last minute add-ins are occupying my time now. Then add Christmas shopping/preparations to that!

mP

Hardbody golf bags work for weapons.

Mark

Hardbody golf bags work for weapons.

Mark

Thanks Mark - I hadn't thought of that.

My concern is the length of the long guns takes a pretty big case..

may have to go with a blunderbuss - one more item to add to my list

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

then I will be starting on a big project for the "Costume Creation Month" Chole Black has initiated on Facebook (that will be a costuming piece of art).

Thanks for the spot Michael.

Everyone is invited to participate in Costume Creation Month from December 17- January 17. We're there to support each other, share our projects, & most importanly, get some sewing DONE!

Costume Creation Month

I've got a nice long list of things to work on. Mostly projects for friends, then trying to squeeze in something new for myself and of course there is always the yearly "what did the girl outgrow this year".

Then I've got all the non-material projects for the coffeehouse, lots of revamping of the equiptment is in the works. Plus in January I start my Sr. thesis research, so I need to take some time to tidy my references. Oi!

Here's hoping for a long winter!

Chole

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

• 4 weeks later...

Aye, winter .... miserable time fer a landlocked sailor! Seems ta go on forever .....

But this winter I been busy re-fitting Nefarious Enterprise. Just 'acquired' her last spring and had no time fer anything but keeping her afloat so now's the time to outfit her for next year's mission - to sail against the rich ships of the gentry 'n' leave 'em a little lighter (if I ever find a crew!). Still lots of work to be done but still lots of winter left....

Captain of Enterprise out of Rheault Bay

• 3 weeks later...