School of the Sailor | Brixham, Devon UK

Fox

School of the Sailor, 2011

Or

A Nursery of Seamen.

29-30 January, 2011

The Golden Hind, Brixham, Devon.

School of the Sailor is a two-day workshop of seminars and classes aimed at living historians and historical interpreters, teaching the basic skills and knowledge of seamen of the great age of sail. Classes are primarily focussed on the seventeenth and eighteenth century, but many of the subjects covered are not period-specific and would be appropriate for ‘sailors’ of the sixteenth-nineteenth centuries. Where practical, sessions include as much hands-on ‘doing’ as possible.

Sessions will include:

Learning the ropes; maintenance of rope, knotting, splicing.

Shifting great weights; moving stores by rope and tackle.

Not getting lost; basic principles of navigation and instruments in the pre-chronometer age.

Futtocks and hawse holes; parts of the ship.

Tools of the trade; an introduction to the sailor’s toolkit

Keep your powder dry; gunnery at sea

Schemes and contracts; how literate were sailors, and how did they use writing?

Lesser of two weevils; food at sea (lunch)

The girl I left behind me; roles for women in maritime living history.

Come all you bold sailors; music at sea

Give way together; small boat technique in the Golden Hind’s longboat (weather permitting)

Accommodation for the event is not provided, but the registration fee of £40 per person includes all required materials. For more information or to register, please contact Ed Fox: ed_foxe@hotmail.com.

‘A fantastic weekend’, ‘amazing and a bloody good laugh’ (Comments from SoS 2010)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Um, the ship's moored pointing roughly West... I suppose we could hold it in the forecastle rather than the great cabin, that would be slightly closer.

If you want to arrange it and can provide flights, accomodation and a small fee, I'll bring my team over :rolleyes:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk