Gift Exchange 2010

Duchess

It's time for the Secret Gift Exchange. Those of you who've been around know we've done this for the last several years with a reasonable amount of success and a few of us/you were looking forward to it again this year.

So here's how its going to work:

Who is eligible:

In the past we've limited the enrollment to only established members of Pyracy Pub. This year, I'll simply split the participants into two categories one for established members and one for enthusiastic newcomers.

I feel that this would put those newer members on equal footing, as both parties would be taking a risk with unknowns.

Regardless of membership status, by signing up you solemnly agree that you will provide some sort of pleasant contact with your designated recipient. If you don't I'll be distinctly displeased with you.

What you'll do:

After the sign-up cut-off I will PM you the name and address of your Designated Recipient.

Sometime in the near future you will put something in the mail, timed so as to arrive before December 25, for your Designated Recipient.

What you will send:

In the past we've set a dollar amount on what is expected. I'm going to change things up and not do that. Please don't let this lack of specification make you uncomfortable. Also know that you're not buying our friendship, respect or any other sort of attention, so don't bother showing off. We'll just mock you. Things that people have done in the past: Holiday Cards, CD's, dice, a deck of cards, belt pouches, glass pens, etc.... Basically anything goes as long as it is kind and reasonably well intentioned. If this section is really stressing you out PM me, and we'll come up with something or I'll give you quantitative limits to make you feel better.

How to sign up:

Send me a PM with your name (or something the post office will recognize as a name capable of receiving items) and address. Also if you would like to include a SHORT list of things you are interested in to help your Designated Giver, please feel. This list is by no means a requirement, as I've mentioned else where I think part of the fun in this is the mystery.

Each interested party must contact me themselves, from their own account. I won't sign anyone up on someone else's say so.

I MUST RECEIVE YOUR PM BY NOON CT ON NOVEMBER 27th FOR YOU TO PARTICIPATE!

I will then mix up all the entries (keeping the pre and post six monthers separated) and pair up everyone. I'll then send you a PM by December 1st containing the name of your Designated Recipient.

You will then find, craft, beg, or barter something for them and post it off to the supplied address.

After the gift exchange is complete everyone should purge their PM's of sensitive identifying information (like names and addresses) and I will do the same.

You're free to open your gift whenever you get it (or to wait for some special day)and post here in great detail about it. But lets have the exchange complete before we start identifying ourselves as "giver of ...."

If you've any questions please post here or send me a PM.

Thanks,

Duchess.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd LOVE to do this again this year but since I'll be in Iraq I think I just sit and watch. Have fun, everyone!

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

I have done this and run it for another board....I will run it for this board if needed. Its a great time, I cant figure out if I have more fun making the goodie or getting the goodie!! Count me in either way!!!

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

I have done this and run it for another board....I will run it for this board if needed. Its a great time, I cant figure out if I have more fun making the goodie or getting the goodie!! Count me in either way!!!

Thanks for the offer, but it's mine. Alll mine....

You can't see it, but I'm steepleing my fingers and laughing mwah ha ha ha...

hows it work? Is it kind of like secret santa? If so I'm in too (if its open to us Brits too).

Just like a Secret Santa. But not quite...

I'm fine with some Brits being involved. I'm sure the language barrier is surmountable.

hows it work? Is it kind of like secret santa? If so I'm in too (if its open to us Brits too).

Just like a Secret Santa. But not quite...

I'm fine with some Brits being involved. I'm sure the language barrier is surmountable.

Oh you mean, 'cause o' the ocean and all that. :lol:

It seems acceptable to me. You'll just need to be a bit forgiving on the timing and plan ahead for the shipping. If you can do that, I'm sure others can as well.

Hey Blackbeard...send me your APO and the kiddos (Kidds? LOL) can make sure you get a package for Christmas!! Let you squad mates know and we can fill a box of everybodies favorites!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!

Respectfully,

Wes

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Do come play! Remember, you need to send me a PM with your information to get signed up.

Current List

Myself

PoD

LadyBarbossa

Laura Coughlin

Quartermaster James

wes1761

Gunpowder Gertie

vintagesailor

That's it? Oh, come on, mates! Think of yo'r shipmates. At least ye know they'd appreciate the piratey gifts ye send them. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Can we start forcing crew members if no one be signing on??

A Press Gang?!? Ooooo! I LIKE th' idea!

Aye, significantly fewer this year than last.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I'd like to have Blackbead join as well, please send me APO info. Would love to be able to support a fellow pyrate especially far from home for the holidays. Have a bunch of practice with the care package, as my oldest son is in the Navy. He will be in Panama for the holidays.

As for the press gang...yep we really need to look into it!