Winter brews are out!

Pew

Any worth recommending?

Just finished some Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. Dying to get a sixer of Anchor Steam's Winter brew.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• 2 years later...

If you can get it, Alaskan's ESB (available in kegs only) is pretty darn good for those cooling days. If you're on the eastern side of the states, Ommegang's Adoration is a great beer. Personally, I'm just about to brew a SMaSH beer (single malt, single hop) special bitter style for an upcoming competition. I've got a wee heavy (or Scotch strong ale) in a keg and going to bottle my wife's old ale soon.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I'm dearly looking forward to the return of Lucette Brewing's Slow Hand Stout.

I don't know what is coming up for the Big Eddy line from Linekugels, but I've been generally impressed with their offerings over the last year so I'm looking forward to that too.

I just brewed up a black IPA last weekend and racked a black pilsner for more conditioning. Both recipes were created from "What do I have on hand?" in an effort to reduce the amount of supplies that I've been storing and thus are highly experimental

I'll be opening bottles of last years bourbon porter soon and making plans to start this years batch. Busy busy!

There are gobs of recipes online, as well as some good books. Furthermore, it's not that hard to design your own recipe, or at least tweak one that you find from a different source.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I don't generally follow a recipe. I browse through ingredient lists and think "oh....that sounds good...I wonder what would happen if I mixed it with...." I used to be pretty bad about writing down what I did, but I'm getting better. I remind myself it isn't science unless you document it!

There are some great recipes available online too, available by searching. The American Homebrewers Association and their magazine Zymurgy has lots of recipes. There's a local organization that puts out a magazine called Growler that usually has a few as well.

I also occasionally buy kits from Northern Brewer and find I'm pretty happy with those as well.