Some PiP Experienced Pirates, pls?

Beowoulf

I think everyone is invited to hang with the Mercury Crew. We're kind of like that. It would be helpful if you posted a photo of yourself in your profile so we know who we're looking for (preferably in garb - we all seem look different in plain clothes - well, most of us).

As a newbie last year I hung out with the Mercury crew and made many friends. They are a right friendly group... 'cept fer Mission when he's eating corn chowder 'incognito' in the Rum Barrel restaurant ;) No - I won't let you forget that ;)

Then I met Harry (who is since gone to live in some godforsaken southwest state) and Papa Ratsey and the Sacred Heart Scooby Gang...

Hey I live in that godforsaken southwest state! well it is godforsaken... at least July thru September. (I just put Harry in contact with my old Civil war group here)...

Welcome aboard mate! - You won't regret taking the leap and going to key West for this event. I came alone last year knowing no one and camped with the Mercury crew. I was simply familiar with the names from hangin out on the Pub forum and had a blast!

from a newbie perspective:

1) Take Williams advice and walk daily from now til PIP - your feet will thank you and you will be able do more.

2) Don't worry about leaving too much at home. Garb, cash and some eating utensils will get you by in grand style.

3) Introduce yourself and take part in whatever you are comfortable with, Battles, Walk the Plank, etc...

4) HAVE A GREAT TIME!

see you there!

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I've been too quiet! Time for more questions! I have three:

1) What do you drink all day? I can't imagine the PC's go around with Diet Pepsi cans in their hands! lolol

2) What about cameras? "I say, there, Mr. Thatcher, is that a 5x optical zoom or a 10x?" In my family *I* am the pic taker - which is why I am not IN any of them! Hate the thought of this tough looking, murderous pirate going around taking pictures all day...

3) I wish I could remember question 3, as it was quite important!

John

John, #1 try water or gator ade how about sweet tea ,you will be drinking what you normally drink but out of a pewter mug or stein or a cocoanut shell

#2 you can carry a camera but try to carry it in a canvas bag or wrap it with a cloth or head scarf.

#3 yes

Edited by willie wobble

Willie covered the basics quite well - alcohol during the event is verboten on the park grounds. But most of us can scare up a good swagger while staying hydrated. Lots of water, gatorade or other drink is highly recommended. It's very easy to get dehydrated. Especially if you're in the heat of the day in the fort in gear. The festival will be providing the gatorade and water. No worries there.

Fayma let me know we will have five photographers on the grounds this year to cover everything you don't shoot. We all benefit from their tremendous gift to us and the photos are always amazing from this band of professional photogs. They will be at the fort and at the annex as well as the events in town. So don't worry, you'll be in photos this year.

Keep the questions coming. If you're interested in entering the National Walk the Plank Championships this year and taking a leap off the WOLF, let me know and I'll sign you up!

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I've been too quiet! Time for more questions! I have three:

1) What do you drink all day? I can't imagine the PC's go around with Diet Pepsi cans in their hands! lolol

2) What about cameras? "I say, there, Mr. Thatcher, is that a 5x optical zoom or a 10x?" In my family *I* am the pic taker - which is why I am not IN any of them! Hate the thought of this tough looking, murderous pirate going around taking pictures all day...

3) I wish I could remember question 3, as it was quite important!

John

#3.....VERY IMPORTANT.....Garden of Eden...AFTER 11pm.... :D ...repeat....AFTER 11pm....too early...and well its just not the same....is it Wobble!?!?

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Oh, yes. That is one of the Key's most beautiful gardens. So many wonderous things in bloom and some of the garden's delights are simply overflowing.

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

:D What's opening and fantastically in bloom in that garden is your wallet...

I always carry a camera at PiP. I made the mistake of hardly using mine in 2007. I just stick it in my garb pocket and haul it out when I see something happening that needs to be saved for posterity. I do that at every event - otherwise I'd not be able to illustrate half the stuff in the Surgeon's Journals. (In fact, if someone invited me to an event where cameras were not allowed, I probably wouldn't go for that reason alone.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh, yes. That is one of the Key's most beautiful gardens. So many wonderous things in bloom and some of the garden's delights are simply overflowing.

laugh.gif I'll never forget my first trip down there, walking down the street, looking up and seeing very interesting things indeed hanging from the bushes. It is a place of pilgrimage for some folkswink.gif

Mistress D.

About how many ppl go to this festival? # of pyrates? # of spectators?

Is the Garden of Eden a tavern?

Oh yes .. and WHAT is hanging from the bushes????

I am SO excited about this! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

Edited by Beowoulf

The Garden of Eden is a clothing optional bar above the Bull & Whistle.

http://www.bullkeywest.com/

Approximately 150 to 200 pirates of all sizes and types, from historical to hysterical. The public - egad, there's never been an official, official count. But over the week of PiP, thousands. Depends on the day and the event. At the fort, Friday is slow compared to Saturday and Sunday. Add in a cruise ship, and things can get crazy fast. The new Pirates Village on the Truman Annex will add a lot of visibility to arriving cruise ships and the shuttle will certainly make it convenient to come over to the fort. Plus it has the best beach in KW. So, never know.

Last count I heard there was about a 100 re-enactors in the fort, then the rest of spread throughout the festival and either love hotels or are more loose on their interpretations of piracy.

All are welcome, as I said. My own crewe, I think we have 12 in attendance this year.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Wow! That is one cool statistic. Thanks for sharing that. It is truly becoming "the" event to go to domestically, and now it looks increasingly, internationally.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

PiPmas...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I actually just found the perfect flag for that about two minute ago. Got it from a brewery up in Seattle years ago. A skull and crossbones wearing a santa hat.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

No, it's Key West. The non-discrimination capital of the world. Let it all hang out at the Garden of Eden... wait, that didn't come out right.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

re: the clothing optional bar .. I suppose the town fathers have passed a law that prohibits gross old men from taking off their clothes in such places? blink.gif

Like Hurricane said, no discrimination there. I know someone in his 70's who makes sure he gets there every time he visits. It might be considered a pilgrimage. wink.gif

The item hanging from the bushes might have been a woman's bathing suit top .... or something like that. Kinda hard to tell from the ground level.

The item hanging from the bushes might have been a woman's bathing suit top .... or something like that. Kinda hard to tell from the ground level.

Unless it was a guy in drag. :blink: I think that would count but I could be wrong ...I don't know about these things.

Unless it was a guy in drag. :lol: I think that would count but I could be wrong ...I don't know about these things.

Yeah, in Key West, any thing's possible. I shouldn't have assumed it belonged to a woman, although for a potential drag queen, it was rather ambitious laugh.gif

As my sister says, what happens in Key West, stays in Key West. wink.gif