Need some shoe help

Silent

(Side note: it's 6am, I just realized I made the topic header "new" when I meant to say "Need"....HA)

Hey all, so one thing my garb has always been lacking is shoes (not boots but I won't get into that right now)

and Halloween is right around the corner and I don't have the coin to be buying already made shoes. And it's getting to cold to even think about wearing rope sandals. It's Halloween, I just want it to look somewhat better then those velvet cheep things you see in costume stores.

However I was looking at these old brown leather work shoes I have, and some leather. I was thinking I could cover the laces up and put a big gold buckle on there but I don't know how the heck I would do that and I need some ideas from the more clothing artist types.

If you need better explanation of what the bloody hell I'm talking about just tell me to speak up and put the rum down :unsure:

Edited by Silent

(Side note: it's 6am, I just realized I made the topic header "new" when I meant to say "Need"....HA)

Hey all, so one thing my garb has always been lacking is shoes (not boots but I won't get into that right now)

and Halloween is right around the corner and I don't have the coin to be buying already made shoes. And it's getting to cold to even think about wearing rope sandals. It's Halloween, I just want it to look somewhat better then those velvet cheep things you see in costume stores.

However I was looking at these old brown leather work shoes I have, and some leather. I was thinking I could cover the laces up and put a big gold buckle on there but I don't know how the heck I would do that and I need some ideas from the more clothing artist types.

If you need better explanation of what the bloody hell I'm talking about just tell me to speak up and put the rum down :unsure:

It might be possible to make a big strap to go over the shoe, around the instep, and attach the buckle to that by making the ends of the leather act as your latchet. A wide strap that fits your buckle and shaped that it doesn't want to roll around and end up sideways. Or use some elastic for the part that goes under the shoe if this is just a "costume" piece, so it's tight enough not to roll around. So it would look like ===---=== before you attach the buckle, with the dashes representing the elastic. How the shoe is built and where the laces are might determine if this will fly or not.

If that won't work, you might try this: When I was just starting out 25 years ago, we learned that you can buy men's leather oxford shoes at the thrift store, and sometimes unclaimed ones at shoe repair places. Get the plain ones that have a strap that crosses over the shoe. You'll cut that part off, so that you have two tabs (latchets) that meet in the middle. Punch a hole through each of the tabs, put a cord, linen tape or ribbon through to tie--or your buckle if it'll fit. Now days it might be harder to find these without fancy decoration and with leather soles, but it's worth looking.

Silent -

A two pieces of plastic or wood cut to buckle shape, gold spray paint and some velcro straps around the shoe or even through the lacing may set you up for the evening.

Jas. Hook :rolleyes:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 3 weeks later...

Run with it. :lol: It'll work. I've done that to a few shoes. One shoe I have utilizes a tie or ribbon plus a buckle, like one of the antique ones for ladies shoes. It's tedious, but works. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 1 month later...

That's an awesome idea with the leather oxford shoes! I'll have to check out my local thrift store.

Ok, some time in the last couple of weeks I finally posted a pic of DH's first shoes, the remodeled ones from the thrift store, but I don't remember if it showed up in the gallery at the top of the Pub page. But it should be in mine.

And, talking to a friend the other day who is trying to do this on a dime, she's noticed while searching the thrift stores that the shoes with the most potential have been Italian. Something to think about.

Square toe engineer/biker boots can be cut down to provide a great look and comfort, and you have the top half of the boot to mke your straps. Thats what I wear.

Edited by Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.