Pirates of the Burning Sea: Soon Free To Play

Silent

I use to play this game back in the day but I didn't feel it was great enough to pay $15. However when I saw this in my e-mail I figured Id share.

"This e-mail is to inform you of upcoming changes to your Pirates of the Burning Sea™ ("PotBS") account. On or around November 22, 2010, PotBS will become a free to play game, with an optional monthly membership plan called the Captain’s Club at a cost of $14.99 per month (plus applicable taxes). This means that new PotBS players will no longer need to purchase the game client or a subscription to access and play much of the game. However, certain premium content will only be available to Captain’s Club members, Premium Players, or must be purchased from Treasure Aisle, the in-game store.

Current Subscribers

If you are currently a subscriber on a monthly, 3 month, 6 month or 12 month subscription plan* that will continue to be in effect after the game goes free to play, your current subscription will continue at the same price until it expires, and you will automatically go from being a PotBS subscriber to becoming a member of the Captain’s Club. As an active member of the Captain’s Club with an account in good standing, you will have access to certain premium content, features and discounts that are unavailable to non-members.

After your current subscription plan expires, you will automatically become a Premium Player and can play without paying a monthly subscription fee, but will lose access to Captain’s Club premium content, features, and discounts (which may be available for purchase from Treasure Aisle, the in-game store), unless and until you log into your Station Account to change your preferences to become a Captain’s Club member at a cost of $14.99 per month (plus applicable taxes). You can change your preferences before your current subscription plan expires, or you can wait until after your current subscription plan expires.

For details on what content and features are available to Captain’s Club members, Premium Players, and new players, please visit our website.

Station Access Subscribers

If you are a Station Access subscriber with an account in good standing when PotBS goes free to play, you will automatically become a Captain’s Club member, and you will continue to pay your regular monthly Station Access fee unless or until you cancel. If you cancel your Station Account, you will become a Premium Player.

Former Subscribers

If you are a former subscriber and your account was not banned or terminated, the first time you log into the game after it goes free to play, you will automatically be a Premium Player, and will receive access to the certain premium content and features at no cost. You can become a Captain’s Club member at any time by joining the Captain’s Club at $14.99 per month (plus applicable taxes).

For details on what content and features are available to Captain’s Club members, Premium Players, and new players, please visit our website.

*3, 6 and 12 month subscription plans are currently no longer available for purchase."

Edited by Silent

I'm pretty psyched about this. I played for a few months, but soon found I couldn't play enough to justify the expense. At best I dabble in these games, and can't commit the time to get my money's worth (let alone compete ingame with the hardcore gamers.) But with the free system, maybe I can poke my head in again and see what's new. I do miss it a bit.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I'll be re-instating my characters as well.

Mayhaps we should form up a company?

What nations did you all play for? Myself, my last was a Brit (I think) and a pirate.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

• 2 weeks later...