Finally a Boat Owner

Coastie04

I just purchased a Fortune 30 cutter here in Alaska (30' LOD, 33' 6" LOA, 10' 4" Beam, 4' Draft). She's a pretty little fiberglass cruising boat with a seperate aft cabin. I love the look of wood, but in this climate, it's a pain and very costly to maintain. So, I settled on a fiberglass hull with classic looking lines. To me, she looks a little like a coastal or fishing sloop from the early 1800s. But with the added safety of a 20hp inboard. Currently, her name is Pacific High 1, but I'm looking to change that to Sanctioned Mistress. Yes, I know it's supposedly bad luck to change a boat name, but Pacific High just doesn't suit me. I'm a good enough sailor to deal with some bad luck, and just superstitious enough that I'll probably perform a proper name changing ceremony and re-christen her...just in case! So, if anyone's going to be in the Juneau area in the next few years, let me know and we might be able to go out and do some whale watching, fishing, hunting, or glacier viewing (some activities seasonal, of course).

070813-fishing-trip-s--(34).jpg

070500-Summer-Sail-Trip-s-1.jpg

Coastie

Edited by Coastie04

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Welcome to the "Poor House".

B - Bring

O - Out

A - Another

T - Thousand

May you have many miles of pleasure.

When changing her name, it is to be done with as little celebration as possible.

And don't forget to toast the Old Man in the Ocean when you leave the dock.

If you have half the fun I've had with mine, you'll be one happy sailor.

Congratulations and good luck with her.

D.B. Couper

Aye, she's a fine lookin' ship she is!

Me own pirate ship be a compromise as well, being a tinny, but she be mine!LonestarAug2010007t.jpg Fair winds and gentle seas to ya both!

Edited by DeviousDi

Captain of Enterprise out of Rheault Bay

Fine boat she is... but nary a swivel mounted nor a gunport yet. ^_^

Congratulations!

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

"Yet" is the right word. I wouldn't be surprised if on her maiden voyage with me (besides sea trials) around Douglass Island a deer or two happen to find themselves onboard hanging from the stays'l haliard or under the main boom. Small arms be below, and hunting season is upon us!

Coastie

"Yet" is the right word. I wouldn't be surprised if on her maiden voyage with me (besides sea trials) around Douglass Island a deer or two happen to find themselves onboard hanging from the stays'l haliard or under the main boom. Small arms be below, and hunting season is upon us!

Coastie

Aye, mutinous deer... it's the only way to deal with them. ;)

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no mutinous deer on my maiden voyage (no hide nor hair of 'em). However, a bit of termination dust fell today, so I might head out the day after we host a homebrew meeting (i.e. party) and comb the beaches for more of those furry scoundrels. So far, the boat is everything I thought it would be. Sails great, and extremely stable and rugged.

Coastie

Congratulations, Captain! But why "SANCTIONED"? What has she done? ;)

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

• 3 weeks later...