New sea cheast

Well I have finally finished Mr William Redwake's sea chest. All 1" thick, wide pine boards, with poplar runners. The finish is milk paint. I just wish I could do better beckets. Now to figure out how to ship it.....

DSC02790.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

DSC02776.jpg

Edited by Edward O'Keeffe

Edward,

Another fine chest from your shop! Wonderful work!

William, you lucky Sea-Dog...

Huzzah to you both!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

It's a fantastic example of Keith's Workmanship. I'm very happy with it and look forward to seeing it in the mail. So many handcrafted bits if gear and kit are waiting to exit the plastic tub for better quarters. I'll be sealing it with linseed oil upon its arrival and this should make it even a darker red than it is now.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Thank you all for your kind words. The front and back are slanted at a 7* angle and dovetailed into the sides. The mortised locks came from the local Woodcraft store, and the hinges are from American Heritage Crafters (great resource). The simple beckets are 3/4" hemp line with a half hitched wrap, and the cleats are oak and attached with rose head cinch nails. I hope it serves you well Master William.

Your humble carpenter

E O'K

Edited by Edward O'Keeffe

Well done maste o'keeffe! .....when i saw it, my first though was " oohh no, another chest to lift and fit in trailors!" lol, but sense its going to william, ill never have to lift it.....i refuse to help him after our last encounter..... sell anyone for profit he will........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Well done maste o'keeffe! .....when i saw it, my first though was " oohh no, another chest to lift and fit in trailors!" lol, but sense its going to william, ill never have to lift it.....i refuse to help him after our last encounter..... sell anyone for profit he will........

Yes indeed - That is sweet. I need to add that to me project list.

Bosun Cross: ye know what that makes you when you are traded by the Evil Bacon Merchant, now dont cha?

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beautiful work! If you are interested, check out Hervey Garrett Smith’s Marlinspike Sailor. He has a nice breakdown of how the Beckets are made. Really nothing more than built up parceling covered with coachwhipping.

"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth [...] pausing before coffin warehouses [...] I feel the need to go to sea. [...] But never as a passanger, just a simple sailor before the mast." (Melville. Moby Dick. 1-3)