ground cloths

silas thatcher

until recently, i have been using plastic tarps from the hardware store ,and covering it with canvas drop cloths as a ground cloth... recent rains have shown that water still bleeds through the woven plastic tarps...

i think it was patrick hand that mentioned cnavas treated for an effective ground cloth is heavier than you would believe, which makes it close to impractical ( for him on an airplane )

short of using plastic sheeting, what else is available as an effective h2o barrier ??

Patrick's correct, treated canvas, either painted with an oil base paint, or something like Thompson's water seal, makes the canvas heavy. Unless you use some very light weight canvas, which I'm not sure how well that'll hold up to wear n' tear...

As for plastic tarps, go to the hardware store and see if you can get a roll of 5 mil plastic sheeting... I've used it at work and we bought it in 10 foot wide by 200 foot length rolls. That under your canvas will work better than the woven tarp material...

YMMV...

Yrs & c,

Dorian

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Yup.

You can do that, or obtain a sod cloth or some treated Sunforger canvas from a carrier and make your own sodcloth (which is not that difficult). Never really had a problem with rain though. How odd. I've always used those cheap Aztec style woven rugs and they've been fantastic.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I made oil cloth using Olympic brand cedar deck stain (left over from actually re-doing deck!) I brushed it on heavy on both sides and let it hang in the shade till dry/non tacky/no odor. I then buffed it with a smooth stone....it does have a bit more weight, but it works. And the color kinda looked like an old faded out "spanish brown" or oxide type finish.....<BR><BR>The local dollar tree has pre-packaged painters drop cloths 8 x 10ish for $1.....

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

In the case of rain I use the closest Hilton!

Capn' Rob -

You and M'lady Patricia are of one mind, though she prefers Hampton Inn. ;)

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Check with your local sign company that makes those vinyl graphic billboards and see if you can get a used one or partial one, cut it up to fit your floor needs. that's what I have used and will again if/when I start camping again. They will last several seasons before needing replaced and are not too heavy.

Bo

My ground cloth is shrunk canvas (washed in Hot water and then dried on Hot) that was then painted with 50-50% linseed oil and turpentine mixture; then allowed to completely dry in the shade for about a week (think Oil soaked rags and spontaneous combustion...)

The ground cloth isn't too heavy, but I wouldn't use the linseed oil/turpentine mixture to waterproof a tent.

My ground cloth is shrunk canvas (washed in Hot water and then dried on Hot) that was then painted with 50-50% linseed oil and turpentine mixture; then allowed to completely dry in the shade for about a week (think Oil soaked rags and spontaneous combustion...)

The ground cloth isn't too heavy, but I wouldn't use the linseed oil/turpentine mixture to waterproof a tent.

I use a commercial canvas tarp and choose high ground. The only time I ever had a real problem was at Hampton Blackbeard Festival in 2009 when there was no high ground.

The last time I needed a tarp I got it from here.

Mark

Edited by MarkG

for a couple of weeks, it had done nothing but rain, so the ground was soaked... the water was actually bleeding through wherever any weight sat on it... after walking in a few times, i could see my footprints soaking through the plastic tarp and the canvas on top of it !!

I have used plastic shower curtains with canvas over ...in rains like you can get in that valley by the Wentzville park I'd consider a few pallets with plywood over them; then hidden by a canvas tarp! That valley turns into a swamp very quickly!

I used some old Tyvek for a ground cloth with my backpacking tent. It's the stuff they use to insulate and weatherproof new homes. It goes between the plywood sheeting and what ever siding they cover it with. If you've never seen it at a construction site it's the same "plastic type" paper material they make those Priority Mail envelopes out of. It's waterproof, lightweight, packs really small, and nearly rip proof. Sometimes you can find cut-offs in the trash around new construction, or you might be able to offer someone on the site $5 or so for a big piece. One side is printed with the logos but you can use it white side up under your canvas and it blends in pretty good.

edit - (...and some people sell it by the foot on eBay too!)

Edited by Iron Jon

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)