HMS Bounty for sale?

LadyBarbossa

Really? Seriously? It this for real? I thought it was under some trust or some volunteer organization or something else, receiving donations, etc?

Apparently someone had pointed out to me that the HMS Bounty was up for sale for just under $5 million. Here's the URL: http://easternyachts.com/bounty/index.htm

Is someone pulling our peg legs or is this the real deal?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I didn't know this either! I was just on her about a month ago and nobody made mention of it. One thing I found odd from the add is that is says she's based in Florida. The home port is in New York. Be that as it may, from the pics I can see that's her for sure. Poor girl. I hope she finds a worthy owner.

-Pipes-

So who here in the Pub is qualified to sail her? Supposin' one of us who can't actually wins the lottery, that is.

Mistress D.

If'n I win th' Lottery, I'll HIRE th' crew, an' they can TEACH me!! LOL ;)

'Til the Morrow,
Cap'n Bloody Sam Rackham
Captain o' The Cursed Few
Co Organizer o' The Southern Pirate Festival
Ship's Carpenter o' The Atlanta Pirates & Wenches Guild

Member of Order of Leviathan 2nd Generation

yup, when we were aboard this summer, she was for sale. nonprofits can sell off their assets to offset collections due. In order to be selling their principal asset, an organization normally wants out completely but I don't know if that is the case for Bounty.

Yup for sale for sure. The guy who owns her is on Long Island. In fact, the Bounty will be in Port Jefferson Ny, here in the Island, Nov 6 & 7 as some filming takes place on her. Port Jeff in turn has declared a Pirate Festival on that weekend and all crews are invited to come up and be a part of the mayhem. Contact Ye Pyrate Brotherhood for more details. O' course, we are performing too, if that sways ye one way ( or t' other).

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

She's actually been for sale for some time now. I think it's been off and on for years. The majmor problem is upkeep. Wooden boats are expensive, and this one was built by Hollywood to make a movie nearly 50 years ago. She was originally supposed to be burned on a beach in the making of that movie, so they didn't exactly build her to last this long. Even back in the age of sail, with a well built boat, 50 years was old. Many would have just been abandoned, broken up for the iron and copper, or just plain lost at sea. Now, there's Coast Guard requirements that make it even more expensive. In order to keep an old vessel like that in sailing condition for that long, there's usually a major rebuild required. And it's not like you can just go down to the local hardware store and pick up wood for ships like these anymore. Many years ago, I remember the tall ship community was pretty much writing off that ship because there was so much work that needed to be done. Hopefully, she got the treatment and money she needed to do the repairs and refitting right. Although $3 million seems like a lot, remember that the USS Constitution is currently undergoing a $6 million restoration, and spent 3 years in dry-dock back in the early 1990s. And that boat doesn't sail, and has lots of Navy money thrown at it for operation costs and regular maintenance. In short, I would run away from this boat as fast as I can; unless I had a LOT of extra money and the ship held sentimental value for me. It would probably be cheaper to just build a new boat, but then some of the nostalgia would definitely be lost. Granted, given the money, I would be willing to put forth the effort on a boat that personally has sentimental value to me, such as the Lady Washington or Adventuress if they were ever in dire straits.

Coastie

Edited by Coastie04

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Aye, tis a fair price for a vessel of her calibur. However, just struck me as odd how... distant the ad was between the vessel and the LLC that runs the vessel. So, if this trust group is selling it, does this mean the trust itself is for sale with the ship? Along with the employees? I'm just beyond confused how a ship is for sale but the rest of the company a part of the ship and the website there is no mention of it. Just... too odd. And way off. So, why sell a ship you just refurbished? What will happen to the LLC that governs the vessel?

Like I said, just sounds a little ... off.

Aye, I'll start playing the lotto and see if I win. The Bounty would be a well worthwhile vessel to keep around. Or worse comes to worse, place her in permenant dry-dock like the HMS Victory.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

She's actually been for sale for some time now. I think it's been off and on for years. The majmor problem is upkeep. Wooden boats are expensive, and this one was built by Hollywood to make a movie nearly 50 years ago. She was originally supposed to be burned on a beach in the making of that movie, so they didn't exactly build her to last this long. Even back in the age of sail, with a well built boat, 50 years was old. Many would have just been abandoned, broken up for the iron and copper, or just plain lost at sea. Now, there's Coast Guard requirements that make it even more expensive. In order to keep an old vessel like that in sailing condition for that long, there's usually a major rebuild required. And it's not like you can just go down to the local hardware store and pick up wood for ships like these anymore. Many years ago, I remember the tall ship community was pretty much writing off that ship because there was so much work that needed to be done. Hopefully, she got the treatment and money she needed to do the repairs and refitting right. Although $3 million seems like a lot, remember that the USS Constitution is currently undergoing a $6 million restoration, and spent 3 years in dry-dock back in the early 1990s. And that boat doesn't sail, and has lots of Navy money thrown at it for operation costs and regular maintenance. In short, I would run away from this boat as fast as I can; unless I had a LOT of extra money and the ship held sentimental value for me. It would probably be cheaper to just build a new boat, but then some of the nostalgia would definitely be lost. Granted, given the money, I would be willing to put forth the effort on a boat that personally has sentimental value to me, such as the Lady Washington or Adventuress if they were ever in dire straits.

Coastie

Upkeep and modern regulations can be a killer.

In the 1970s, Plimoth Plantation decided to limit maintenance on the Mayflower II to what was needed to keep it open to visitors. By the early 1980s they were informed that they needed to perform some major work or it would sink. In the 1990s they discovered that all of the metal screws that had been used to attach the planking had rusted away. This left holes in the planks that allowed water to get in and rot out many of the timbers. They had to remove most of the planking and replace the timbers underneath.

At one point they got it sail able but it literally took an act of Congress to get it certified. No one in the Coast Guard was willing to sign off on taking her out. Even then, in order to meet modern standards they had to have a modern boat alongside as a lifeboat.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Coastie

She has been for sale before and a number of organisations and companies have pulled her out (so to speak) but not permanently enough. The organisation that owns the Nina had built a larger version for events and such (The Nina is not a huge ship) and they had to sell it as they couldn't keep her... BUT.. They did kee the Nina and they also have a replica of the Pinta. When I last talk to their organisation (we connected back in 2008) they were very comfy with the two ships and decided that the route to 'dinner theatre' and such was not really in their mandate anyway.

http://www.thenina.com/

Considering the difference in size between the Nina and the Bounty, it would be a large task to keep her. When I chatted with their captain when they were in Port Alberni, they were really plugging 'educational crew trips' to Hawaii in order to raise more funds. I didn't want to decline but I really couldn't afford the time or the money. If I am the majority when it comes to that, I can see how they were unable to raise enough cash to keep her going... Then...

There's recently been the fate of the Grand Turk..

http://easternyachts.com/grandturk/

Also built for production reasons (read the write up - this ship's been through more adventures pre production then she was during and post) she is now up for sale and has been for about 3 years now.

For a long time these wonderful ships have either been left to rot or begged to be rescued. Not much we can do about that. I've been following some of them for many years and it is amazing what they go through. When we did the photo shoot on the Nina I insisted they take a donation. They didn't ask me for payment (they even offered for us to stay around and be social) but I felt I needed to. I sent the organisation a little more later on (along with a disk of images and videos) but it is never enough.

All we can do is hope for the best and try to visit them as often as we can to not only personally appreciate them but also to try and donate a little money to them and/or promote them to our friends, I would hate for one day, to never see a tall ship event ever again.

Thank you.

Charity and Queen Margaret on the Bounty

post-11399-008581400 1287095456_thumb.jp

Charity on the Bounty

post-11399-049498900 1287095475_thumb.jp

Flint and Charity on the Nina

post-11399-021434300 1287095486_thumb.jp

Charity, Cobbs and Gale on the Nina

post-11399-036997300 1287095498_thumb.jp

Edited by CharityRackham

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

• 5 months later...

Nothing against a ship I don't know personally, but I've heard it described maintenance-wise as an ungrateful teenager. Doesn't matter how many times to tar the shrouds, it still hates you.

If you're gonna swing, swing for the fences...if you're going after Jaws, bring along the tartar sauce.

• 1 month later...

I'd love to have a fine ship like the bounty, now I need to set sail and plunder the caribbean for some money...if only i had a ship. This is starting to sound like that chicken and egg thing me bosun told me about.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

I'd love to have a fine ship like the bounty, now I need to set sail and plunder the caribbean for some money...if only i had a ship. This is starting to sound like that chicken and egg thing me bosun told me about.

Not sure you want to admit that your bosum may be smarter then yourself.

:angry:

But yes. I do agree. Circular logic does not always work to ones advantage.

Charity Ann Rackham

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

JDpyracy150.jpg

Edited by jimmyrum

Oh, better far to live and die

Under the brave black flag I fly,

Than play a sanctimonious part,

With a pirate head and a pirate heart.

Away to the cheating world go you,

Where pirates all are well-to-do;

But I'll be true to the song I sing,

And live and die a Pirate King.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy. Your post is blank. Was there something there? A video or photo? If so then you may want to check your service you linked it from as it is down. Or if you wrote something and it didn't post then you may want to see if there is a virus or something somewhere and possibly change your passwords.

Charity Ann Rackham

British Columbia, Canada

JDpyracy150.jpg