Camp/kitchen box

MajorChaos

I was wondering, for those that do a lot of camping at the events, do you have or use anything like the boy scout patrol boxes?

Google search that for pictures...

I was thinking that one could be "hidden" in something looking like a barrel or a sea chest.

Just something that crossed my mind.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

While visiting at PIP, one of the attendees mentioned that they had seen period plans for a German portable kitchen box. I don't remember who it was or where they had seen it. I've asked many times since, but no one has come forward or found one that I know of, but evidently such a thing does exist.

Willie Wobble has a very practical set-up. We should ask him for pictures.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

https://pyracy.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=2200

If this picture doesn't come out there are pictures from PIP in my gallery under the file with the three acorn spoons half way down is my camp with the boy scout kitchen box to the right ,I had a net thrown over it to cover..

also another view https://pyracy.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=2199

Edited by willie wobble

Willie,

I was looking at the photos of your nice display and noticed the wrapped bottles of different sizes and shapes.

I tried do this with my onion bottle one time, but it turned out like two monkeys making love to a football.

What is this wrapping process called, and where can I find detailed instructions that tell me how to do this? I have looked and looked and looked in the past, but I just can't find anything specifically devoted to wrapping a bottle in this fashion.

I appreciate the help.

-Tar Bucket Bill

Well Tar Bucket , since you are on where near central Fla. or st augustine the best i can tell you is its like making a net close to net making , my bottles use a knot i've not found in a book its just a knot i came up with that works

I can't make a net but i can sure wrap some bottles.

trial n' error wiyh a lot of error till you get somthing that works

Yes, Willie is a master of the bottle wrap. I saw some really cool new wine bottles in the Stuart Publix the other day. I should have emptied them quickly and handed them over to Willie when he was there. I know Willie, more work. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

While visiting at PIP, one of the attendees mentioned that they had seen period plans for a German portable kitchen box. I don't remember who it was or where they had seen it. I've asked many times since, but no one has come forward or found one that I know of, but evidently such a thing does exist.

Willie Wobble has a very practical set-up. We should ask him for pictures.

I love those camp boxes, they're so practical, but I don't own one because I can't document it. And while I haven't seen any plans that match that style that are in period, there are sources on either side of the GaoP which show field kitchen equipment packed in boxes of various shapes and sizes (George Washington's "mess kit" and the Scappi book come to mind). If you locate a period reference, with pictures, for a BS style camp box, please let us know! I'll share if I find one, too.

Then again, I have seen period furniture, case pieces up on legs, that might be "confiscated" from a home and pressed into service in a pirate camp kitchen. But those pieces would have been rather fine to drag out to camp for PiP.

Mistress Dobyns

Willie that looks just like what I've been seeing around when searching for patrol box.

Now I just need to get me some plans and come up with one.

Mistress Dobyns, I wasn't really looking for something period correct, which is why I was thinking of disguising it in a barrel or a sea chest. The idea was that I could bring my coleman camp stove (for the morning coffee and maybe light cooking), this way I could use it and just close it up and tuck it in the box.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

Crew Of The Vigilant

i wonder how a camp box would look just sitting on top of another crate. mark them both up as shipping crates. Close the top one up and instant background?

Aye, that's kind of what I had in mind.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

Crew Of The Vigilant

Willie that looks just like what I've been seeing around when searching for patrol box.

Now I just need to get me some plans and come up with one.

Mistress Dobyns, I wasn't really looking for something period correct, which is why I was thinking of disguising it in a barrel or a sea chest. The idea was that I could bring my coleman camp stove (for the morning coffee and maybe light cooking), this way I could use it and just close it up and tuck it in the box.

In that case, for fun you might like to check out the Medieval Encampments yahoo group photos. There are all sorts of disguises for modern stuff on there. For example, someone designed a camp kitchen "box" which can hide a small coleman stove and a dish pan side by side, as well as the tanks and some storage space, in a version of an aumbry cupboard. It's not as portable as the patrol box, but it's kinda cool because it looks like a piece of furniture. There's lots of potential for making something that looks period, but isn't. Your idea of hiding it in a sea chest might be the simplest of those, you could have the top section for the stove, and hide the tanks underneath on one side, with storage on the other. Hmm, now you have me thinking wether or not I could retro-fit any of my existing boxes to do that. I have the stove and tanks. Just what I need, another project! (Not!)

My personal tendency is to go towards period camp items, not because I'm a period snob, but because I do events at sites that are fairly strict a lot of the time, and I don't have space to keep a separate set of non-period camp stuff. After enough years of that, period mode sort of becomes the default. Doesn't mean I don't admire the ingenuity of people who want to make camp work for them with conveniences. In fact, I rather enjoy seeing what people can come up with.biggrin.gif

Mistress D.

This is one I built for my kitchen stuff - it's about 22" x 18" x 12" or so, with a section for cups and cutlery. It's sturdy enough that you can pile things on it as well and it can be used as a seat as well. It's a fairly simple construction. I did add the one modern convenience, but when the chest is closed, you can't see it. It's not as shiny as the photo suggests and there are four feet on the bottom.

gallery_1541_291_40972.jpg

RHJMap.jpg

I corresponded at length with an antiques dealership overseas the last two days, but they were unable to point me toward any specific camp boxes. They deal in campaign furniture, but could not recommend any kitchen box or portable kitchen for the GAOP. I'll keep looking.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Thanks William!

I suspect what I will end up doing is disguising the camp/kitchen box as a sea chest or something that can be closed up when not in use.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

Crew Of The Vigilant

I had an idea last night staring at the ceiling....Doc said I have a sinus infection and the meds are keeping me up.... I am currently looking for the materials to make a prototype...will post pics asap.....

You guys are gonna dig it!!

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

I have an old steamer trunk, that after some redesigning, will become my camp box

Kilted Eric

the Skirted River Pirate

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea. - From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• 2 weeks later...

Generally I've looked around various places for something to use other than plastic totes. Michael's Crafts store had (not sure if they still have them or not) some small chests that were PERFECT for any sort of 18th c reenacting and storing almost anything! They were unfinished but had a good, basic design that kept the bottom of the chest off the ground even though you never noticed. I was able to store my plates, small pots, tankards and glasses, spices, silverware, and much more in there. I have about 3 of them. Only thing I wasn't able to put in there, were my cast iron dutch ovens. ;)

Some nice stuff though so far. :) Necessity breeds creativity.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like we've got a fine collection of boxes for the camp. I was initially looking for something like what Willie has pictures of and referenced in scout camp box. Basically a mobile kitchen and kitchen equipment storage. I like the idea of a barrel, but think that might be a tad heavy to start with unless there are imitation barrels that are light weight.

so basically the kitchen box would be big enough to hold one of the coleman dual burn camp stoves and a bottle or two of propane. Additionally, I'd like to have space to put a coffee pot, a few pots and pans and some basic cooking utensils. Maybe some other basic kitchen needs too, paper towels, scrub brush, etc. All of this into some kind of box/barrel that would be closed during regular hours in a camp to hide it from the prying eyes of the general public.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas on the other boxes, I've got something similar already that I use for my place setting and stuff.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

Crew Of The Vigilant

Here be my cooler box.....pine with a burnt cherry stain...kinda reminds me of Spanish Red or the Iron Oxide finish.....has a styrofoam cooler hidden inside...keeps me ale fresh!!

IMG_0127-1.jpg

IMG_0128-1.jpg

Edited by wes1761

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....