Nothing but Hats

Yellowbeard

Started making 'em and selling 'em off myself, and while I have no delusions of grandeur I'm happy that I recouped my investment on each one! Obviously they are all from the late 18th century, the first one is rabbit felt and the others are canvas covered wool felt, all the cockades were made by yours truly, and everything was hand-stiched (The Blisters! Arrgghh!). The last one I'm almost done with, the person who is buying it wants it to look like Aubrey's hat from <i>Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World.  </i>I think I've got most of the details right, just have to figure out a way to make it shiny now, anyone have any ideas?<br><br>And yes, I know it's basically the same hat made three times over, but just wanted to share!

th_IMG00051-20100817-2053.jpg

th_IMG_0710.jpg

th_Image1.png

Edited by Yellowbeard

Thankee Gents! In answer to your question AlexRoberts, I got the blanks for the two canvas covered ones here; http://www.hatcrafters.com/page12.htm (N0.959 oversized blank). The reason I covered them is that the quality of the felt from hatcrafters is less than stellar to say the least; it;s heavy, but it wrinkles like cardboard and the dye turns purple if you steam them too much. The blank on the first one I got here: http://en.empirecost...s-c204-a176.htm but that had the opposite problem of being unbelievable floppy and I had to end up shellacing the bejeezus out of it to hold a shape. All in all, I'd say the hatcrafter blanks are better due to the large brim sizes (all the ones pictured have a fan of about 8 inches), but only if you plan on covering them.

I trimmed the hats into shape by using the "screw measuring, I'm just going to eyeball the sumbitch" method and amazingly they turned out nicely. The canvas for the covering, buttons, and linen of the lining (not shown) I got on ebay. The correct lace for the period was extremely tough to find. I found a couple sources online ranging from 90 bucks for 10 meters, to a jawdropping 123 POUNDS per meter ( http://www.handembro..._Navy_Lace.html )! I eventually had a business trip to New York City and made a beeline to the garment district and the second trimming store had it for $5 per yard, so I bought everything they had in stock.

The cockades are made of 246lb acrylic paper that I scored with an exacto, folded, and went crazy with black enamel until they were shiny and rock hard.

I'm looking for some good quality, relatively affordable blanks for some GAOP stuff and revolutionary period tricorns and was thinking about getting them from hats by lekko,I've heard good things about them and they were extremely pleasant to deal with when I had some questions. I've tried Jas. Townsend fur one in the past and they didn't thrill me, but if anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears!

Edited by Yellowbeard

• 4 weeks later...

Finally did something a little more piratical;

th_IMG00086-20100913-1210.jpg

I was going to trim it, but liked the rough edge. I've also tried to weather it slightly, while still being in good shape for the person I made it for.

And not to beat a dead horse, but here is another cocked hat I made as a commission. This was more challenging to make as it is velvet covered on both sides of the brim, and it was difficult to work with. I really wanted to cover it with hatters plush, but that is basically impossible to find, so super plush velvet had to fill in. Just wish it had more sheen.

th_IMG00084-20100913-1209.jpg th_IMG00085-20100913-1209.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This one I did as a generic 18th century military hat. It's built using a fur felt blank from hats by Lekko. Put a pic of the lining up, and have to give a big thank you to Patrick Hand's tutorial on making hat linings.

th_IMG_0840.jpg th_IMG_0842.jpg

th_IMG_0846.jpg th_IMG_0847.jpg

Edited by Yellowbeard

• 1 month later...

Brilliant! :) I have often wondered about ordering a blank or few from them. Just never got around to it.

I can only shake my head and laugh tnow, Yellowbeard. Yo'r hats on the first post here... are dangerously close to what Barbossa's new hat looks like. :D

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Yes the certainly do! Might have to knock out a few more before the movie comes out.

Here is one I did with a spare blank, I really like the color combo on this one. I'll be putting it on ebay once I finish up the lining.

th_IMG00181-20101123-1617.jpg th_IMG00183-20101123-1617.jpg th_IMG00186-20101123-1618.jpg

this one is my favorite so far. love it

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

th_IMG00051-20100817-2053.jpg

th_IMG_0710.jpg

th_Image1.png

. . .http://www.hatcrafters.com/page12.htm (N0.959 oversized blank). . .

A number of years ago I tried buying hats from these guys, but they were only interested in selling wholesale/large numbers to venders. Though I was shaping and selling hats at the time - my volume wasn't large enough for them to want to bother with me.

Anyway, beautiful job on the hats - well done!

• 2 weeks later...

This hatmaking thing is moving from a hobby to an obsession, Here is a more hollywood pirate look; I wanted to do a Jack Sparrow hat without doing a Jack Sparrow hat if you catch my drift. It was an extra blank I had and I wanted to experiment with stretching felt and artificially weathering them. It's on ebay in case anyone is interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=180598389382

th_IMG00219-20101208-1445.jpg th_IMG00220-20101208-1445.jpg

th_IMG00221-20101208-1445.jpg th_IMG00224-20101208-1446.jpg

Edited by Yellowbeard

Well such are the vagaries of ebay! I'm glad a denizen of The Pub got it that's for sure. As far as the blank, this one I got from Leko, the pricey ones from hatcrafter I usually start at least 75 and usually get about 150 on average.

One of my new years resolutions is to set up a website for my little cottage business and move away from ebay. I've got orders through February for hats just from listing on ebay so there really does seem to be a market for historical hats that are not priced equivalent to a car payment.

Edited by Yellowbeard

Got the hat today and it looks better than the pictures could have shown.....

It's just what I had in mind...

Thanks a Ton Yellowbeard your hat making skills amaze me!

Keep up posted on when you set up shop!

You have a customer for future wares in me!

Your gratefull servent,

PegLeg Strick

Now someone shove me towards a wastecoat & some slops!

Size large on the wastecoat & medium on the slops if anyone is listening.