Attention All Hands

Fayma Callahan

This year's Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion is being run by the Friends of Fort Taylor themselves. There is NO contract with anyone to run this festival. There is NO ONE being paid to run the event. The Friends are a non-profit organization, and this is one of our fundraisers to Save Our Fort. There are several groups that have stepped up to assist the Friends with this event and they are HELPING me and the Friends to make this event run smoothly and to make this event fun and safe for everyone.

It is with my eternal gratitude that I am letting everyone know that the ArchAngel Crewe, the Mercury Crewe, the Sacred Heart Crewe, the Valhalla Pirates, the Captains of the Devil's Triangle, Pirates Magazine, Diosa and Crewe, and all the others including vendors that have called to assist will be pressed into service doing various aspects of this festival. Each group has VOLUNTEERED to be a part of our family reunion this year. There will be specific assignments that these folks will have to make this event successful. I will post a roster of contacts for various things,so that everyone will know who to talk to.

I am one single person, but with the assistance of these fine folks, WE can have a festival. I COULD NOT do this alone, no one could. All I want is my pyrate family to come home again for a great fesitval, happy and healthy, and SAFE.

If there are any questions or concerns, PLEASE, PLEASE call or email me, so that there are no misunderstandings.

The Friends of Fort Taylor and I cannot wait to see our Fort filled with all of you!!

Thank you all for your support!!

Fair Winds and Full Holds,

Momma Ratsey

Yeah...about that.... I think I'm busy that week :unsure:

Kidding... kidding... don't beat me quite yet.... Yes Fayma, I am at your disposal and happy to be! I also have a few things up my sleeve to try and bring in some extra $$ for the fort. Keep yer fingers crossed that they all pan out :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

VOLUNTEERED??? I was bashed over the head and pressed into service...I never signed no articles...

all right, all right... Momma said jump and I asked how high.... sheesh..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

VOLUNTEERED??? I was bashed over the head and pressed into service...I never signed no articles...

all right, all right... Momma said jump and I asked how high.... sheesh..

So, Sterling can be trained, eh? I will refrain from the 'old dog new trick' comment that initially came to mind :unsure:

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Well ye should know...ye always are making me sit up and beg...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I will try to get some plunder together if you are still going to do an auction/DMC.

I must say that the recent changes are rather dissapointing though. No beach camping, limited space, limited numbers, and expanded time-line? Hmmm. Good luck with that and I truly hope all goes well, but I will have to say that I will not plan on attending this event in the future after all. I was so looking forward to the beach thing, not being an "inside-the-walls" kinda guy.

Best of luck and let me know if you want anything from this end.

Bo

It would be interesting to learn why those who choose to camp are being required to remain inside the fort now. From my experience it's usually stuffy in there.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

It's not too bad. Until last year we always camped in the fort. While I agree the beach was best, one must make due when playing in someone else's sandbox and the rules are the rules. But it's not as bad as it sounds. This isn't the hot time of the year and if it really starts to pour, you'll be thankful for the cover under the ramparts. Allows for some drying out time.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

This isn't the hot time of the year and if it really starts to pour, you'll be thankful for the cover under the ramparts. Allows for some drying out time.

-- Hurricane

Aye. And I hears that alcohol will help displace water. More Rum!

D.B. Couper

It would be interesting to learn why those who choose to camp are being required to remain inside the fort now. From my experience it's usually stuffy in there.

it is my understanding that the descision to remain inside the Fort was 2 fold....

1. to draw more attention to the Fort itself...the Beach camp was getting bigger than the Fort area

and more importantanly....

2. the Park Rangers were having difficulty supplying adequate security for the Beach Area...the Beach was still public access...and not well supervised, there were a few complaints from wedding parties that the area was inhabited by Pirates(even tho many others loved it), and many "beach goers" were walking in the back way into the camp without paying to experience the festival side...so it was asked by the Park Rangers to set everyone into the fort proper area until an adequate measure for security could be reached....

tho i too will miss the beach camping...i do believe this will do more to enhance the paying publics experience within the fort....and it is the fort why we are all there.

and as far as "Limited numbers"...there is no descision to limit numbers of registered participants...only to limit how many camp at the fort, as many more usually choose to make other accomodations on the island....and in the years to date...tho growing every year...that number has yet to be reached...once it does then a reavalution will be made to possibly once again include the beach.

please keep voicing ideas and questions...better to hear from the horses mouth than the horses arse says i.... ;)

(an tho tis true, i am not the "Horses mouth"....no need to point out the subsequant logical conclusion...this means you Hurricane!!) ;)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Agreed. This event has always been operated with the thought in mind to raise money for the Fort. As of yet, we have not been able to draw the public out to the beach in the numbers necessary to make the beach camps plausible for, as of yet, the beach camps do not generate the necessary revenue. Nor do the beach camps "show case" the fort itself. Unfortunately last year, few if any of the planned activities inside the fort came to pass.

One of the Park Services' primary goals is to provide historical events for the public centering on the fort. Granted the fort was not in existence during most of the time frame we will be portraying this year but they have decided to over look that in return to doing more within the walls.

This year's request from the Park Service for mandatory living history demos from each attending crew, is an attempt to bring those necessary activities to the fort. By doing more inside the fort, we help to accomplish both the historical agenda and the highlighting of Fort Zack itself.

As Hurricane stated, we are playing in someone else's sandbox and are required to provide a service in return. This year this is how the Park Service wishes us to demonstrate how we can actually help the fort. Perhaps once we get the demonstrations,skits, scenarios up and running in the fort, as they were supposed to be last year both in the fort and on the beach, then perhaps we may be welcome to camp on the beach once again in the future.

And on the bright side, just think, yes we all miss the beach, but we won't have to schlep all that gear back and forth every day to do the living history as we will already be where we need to set up. Now all one needs to do is roll out of bed, pick oneself up from the ground, dump several bodies out of hammocks and bingo! we're set to go. ;)

...and I get to sleep later....ahem.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

dump several bodies out of hammocks

Hammocks inside th' Fort ? thar ain't no trees ter tie um up to.....

But at least the ground is softer inside th' Fort.......thar be grass over alla that nasty sharp coral.... ;)

The fort also is bug free. When we slept there we had no problem with mosquitoes, no see-ums or those pesky centipedes. I do suggest that someone there treat the parade ground with the stuff that kills red ant nests. We did have problems with those when we camped there. Otherwise, it's a nice place to hang - and for those who want a little extra privacy you can sleep up on the top floor and look out at the stars. Several of us did that as well.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I've heard that security argument, but that seems really thin to me. Just my 2 cents, worth what you paid for it.

This year this is how the Park Service wishes us to demonstrate how we can actually help the fort. Perhaps once we get the demonstrations,skits, scenarios up and running in the fort, as they were supposed to be last year both in the fort and on the beach, then perhaps we may be welcome to camp on the beach once again in the future.

Well, it's good news that we may be able to earn our way back to beach camping.

Although I don't recall anyone telling us we were supposed to get demonstrations, skits and scenarios up and running to make a point to the fort personnel last year. (Not saying it didn't occur, I just don't recall it.) Of course, last year seemed a little disorganized compared to the previous years to me. I figured this had to do with Harry not being around to handle some of the logistics. Change is always a challenge for a big event like this.

I did notice as I have been updating the look and feel of the PiP Surgeon's Journals that there were fewer activities in 2009 than in 2008. 2008 had all sorts of interesting things like Dutch explaining navigation, the silly olympics thing, sword fight training and the conquistadors taking Spike.

Part of the problem with presenting at PiP from my perspective is that I spent $100 to ship my surgeon's stuff down there in 2008, but wound up only doing two presentations with it. Michael brought it down last year and I never even got most of it out of his van. From that and my 2007 experience (one presentation to one guy), the Key West audience has been light compared to other events. Most of the folks who do wander up to peek at the stuff in KW don't seem quite as patient with the explanations as folks at other events where I've presented.

Plus there's nothing quite so boring as standing by your stuff for hours when there's not much traffic to make the time pass faster. If I wanted to be chained to a position, I'd become a vendor and at least have the opportunity to get paid for being stuck in the same place. But I like the freedom of being a volunteer. Admittedly, I personally have never had the patience to stand there and do that all day at any event. It makes for a boring Surgeon's Journal - my other reason for going events. Presenting for 2 or 3 hours seems much more reasonable for a Key West pirating vacation if there's traffic enough to keep the time spent presenting moving.

I will say this, though. When everyone else is involved in presenting, it helps a LOT. There's nothing like esprit de corps to make presenting more enjoyable. Having Dutch next to me at PiP '08 doing his navigation thing made standing with my gear at the ready more pleasurable. Watching M.A. d'Dogge do his weapons presentation at Put-in-Bay in June and knowing he would generously hand them off to me gave me greater incentive to hover about the medical table and try to amuse and horrify the on-going crowd.

But I'm starting to ramble now. I really like PiP and I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on stuff, but these are important issues to me when it comes to presenting. If it's nothing but tedious hot work with tepid interest, you won't find me willing to pay extra to get the gear down there nor to do it for very long if I do.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

My point of view is that I don't care to spend 36 hours driving as far south in the continental USA as one can go,(I do not fly) to spend the nights in a fort not in the period, and of no real historical importance to our time frame. I can do that mush closer to home. Demos can still be done inside with people camping outside just fine, with more room inside for those events and public without stacking everyone on top of each-other and miles of ropes to trip over IMO. Taking the beach camping away ruins the whole 'paradise' aspect for me personally. The whole alure for me was that aspect of it. With that gone, scratch that from my list of things I'd like to do when I get back to work.

As for having to prove your worth to the fort personnel, well I suppose I really don't have much to say about that having never been so far, but after donating items for the fort, my two pennies worth on that score is that I consider that an insult after all that has been done by so many of you guys/gals to date. Really. As I recall past post-action reports, every year has grown in attendance and revenue from the first Pip to the last.

FWIW, I think expanding the time-line and including wreckers and smugglers is a fine idea. just looks and smacks of micro-management that ends up going bad to me. Seen it all too often at other historical sites. oh well, not my deal I guess.

Bo

This may not be very relevant since my recent change in attendance status, but I was in a position where I could have made it, it just would have been a very challenging thing for me to do so...

Camping on the beach was a big draw for me. Bo made a very good and very strong point, there are countless forts less than half the distance that I can camp in, many of which have pirate events (or could have pirate events should the backing arise for such). I won't say the camping in the Fort thing caused me decision to not attend, but it would be a lie for me to say it wasn't a heavy factor in my decision.

Greater focus on demos is something I only see as a positive change, so that I liked, but it wasn't enough to counter the camping in the fort thing. Staying off site isn't an option as my budget is generally such that just traveling to Key West and back is all I can afford to sink into this. The cost of a hotel (or other accommodation) puts this trip beyond my means, and beyond the means that I would be willing to spend even if my fortunes were greater.

I also agree with Bo that having to prove ourselves is a bit of an insult, most of us have donated a great deal of time, effort, money, travel expenses, or goods for the auction towards this.

I understand the "their sandbox, their rules" part of this, but if they actually care about their fort and their festival, they may actually want to make "their sandbox" accommodating and welcoming enough to get the volunteers who make it happen want to show up.

Michael_banner.jpg

My personal take on the camping issue is that the beach camping area was way too far away from the fort, to the point that the public didn't even know it was there or were willing to make the long hike to see if there was anything going on at the camp area. I always thought the camp area would be better moved in closer to the fort. It would also make it closer to the privies !!!

>>>> Cascabel

dump several bodies out of hammocks

Hammocks inside th' Fort ? thar ain't no trees ter tie um up to.....

But at least the ground is softer inside th' Fort.......thar be grass over alla that nasty sharp coral.... :huh:

Now I will personally find you a place to hang yer hammock Patrick, JUST so I can wake ye up every morning! :huh:

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

I've heard that security argument, but that seems really thin to me. Just my 2 cents, worth what you paid for it.

This year this is how the Park Service wishes us to demonstrate how we can actually help the fort. Perhaps once we get the demonstrations,skits, scenarios up and running in the fort, as they were supposed to be last year both in the fort and on the beach, then perhaps we may be welcome to camp on the beach once again in the future.

Well, it's good news that we may be able to earn our way back to beach camping.

Although I don't recall anyone telling us we were supposed to get demonstrations, skits and scenarios up and running to make a point to the fort personnel last year. (Not saying it didn't occur, I just don't recall it.) Of course, last year seemed a little disorganized compared to the previous years to me. I figured this had to do with Harry not being around to handle some of the logistics. Change is always a challenge for a big event like this.

I did notice as I have been updating the look and feel of the PiP Surgeon's Journals that there were fewer activities in 2009 than in 2008. 2008 had all sorts of interesting things like Dutch explaining navigation, the silly olympics thing, sword fight training and the conquistadors taking Spike.

Part of the problem with presenting at PiP from my perspective is that I spent $100 to ship my surgeon's stuff down there in 2008, but wound up only doing two presentations with it. Michael brought it down last year and I never even got most of it out of his van. From that and my 2007 experience (one presentation to one guy), the Key West audience has been light compared to other events. Most of the folks who do wander up to peek at the stuff in KW don't seem quite as patient with the explanations as folks at other events where I've presented.

Plus there's nothing quite so boring as standing by your stuff for hours when there's not much traffic to make the time pass faster. If I wanted to be chained to a position, I'd become a vendor and at least have the opportunity to get paid for being stuck in the same place. But I like the freedom of being a volunteer. Admittedly, I personally have never had the patience to stand there and do that all day at any event. It makes for a boring Surgeon's Journal - my other reason for going events. Presenting for 2 or 3 hours seems much more reasonable for a Key West pirating vacation if there's traffic enough to keep the time spent presenting moving.

I will say this, though. When everyone else is involved in presenting, it helps a LOT. There's nothing like esprit de corps to make presenting more enjoyable. Having Dutch next to me at PiP '08 doing his navigation thing made standing with my gear at the ready more pleasurable. Watching M.A. d'Dogge do his weapons presentation at Put-in-Bay in June and knowing he would generously hand them off to me gave me greater incentive to hover about the medical table and try to amuse and horrify the on-going crowd.

But I'm starting to ramble now. I really like PiP and I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on stuff, but these are important issues to me when it comes to presenting. If it's nothing but tedious hot work with tepid interest, you won't find me willing to pay extra to get the gear down there nor to do it for very long if I do.

Your not rambling Mission, but making very good sense. Granted we want to have fun as well but when it comes to most events, not all, we are the main attraction and need to supply some sort of educational service via demos, skits or long term scenarios in exchange for our insurance coverage, camping and any other perks that are tossed in the ring. We can call ourselves volunteers but in a way we aren't as we are actually bartering for something in exchange for what we do.

In all case, I hope, we are there for the fun of the event, but many event hosts have to make money to cover the event. In many cases, not all, they earn that money back by charging spectators some sort of fee. In the long run if there is not much for the spectators and they aren't happy, they don't return, the event hosts don't make their profit and we can lose events because the places we go to can no longer support us being there. Note the words in many cases, not all...

I certainly can agree that standing around doing demos, skits and scenarios all day can be hard work...personally I enjoy it and I think many others do. I certainly agree the more hands involved the lighter and more fun that goal becomes for all involved.

For this year, we have been trying to schedule the living history demos and trying to find out who is willing to do what but so far, we have gotten only some response back. The more involved, the more breaks we can arrange with others taking turns covering a specific demo, skit, or scenario and freeing folks up for some personal time. The more involved the more we each learn about our time frame as well and the better to hone those activities we already provide. As the old proverb goes Iron sharpens Iron...

This year we have tried, as stated, to make it known to all that Living History is required. Last year it was not mandatory but the new Park staff was out looking for it. Unfortunately we were not notified last year that that was the case. Now it is required of us and it has been brought to our attention.

Last year things were very disorganized due to the new Park staff and those that held the contract not communicating with those of us involved. And that also includes the fact that the advertisement for the event never really got off the ground. That has changed.

If you only wish to demonstrate the tools of the surgeon's trade for X amount of hours during the day, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to make sure that you get a specific spot on the schedule. For other demo, for example such as weapons, there are a number of folks who can cover that so it can continue all day with folks spelling others for breaks. If we have the numbers involved we can make everyone's day lighter.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

I think this is a lot ado about nothing. The decision is made and was made some time ago about how this year's Pyrate Fest would be handled. From there, it's a simple matter of "go" or "don't go" given the constraints. It's like any other event where you have to take vacation time, travel, spend precious dough, etc.

As for the demonstrations, we had fun in the fort doing ours. We did a period perfect (as best as you can in a fort) Port Royal pub and taught the period games to the visitors. They could here us talk about politics, fashions and news as we played. It was great fun for us and the visitors.

And I know Diosa had large crowds around whenever she pressed sugar cane in period. I think it's a matter of picking the right demonstrations for the audience down there. Again, I'm no expert. Just know how it worked for us since we were always in the fort until last year.

I have to agree with Cascabel, who's been there since the beginning and really has seen it all, even when it was one weekend in Marathon and the second weekend in Key West (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, Cascabel :). There was a disconnect between the paid area and the free camping area. People didn't have to pay to come to the beach. And those in the fort often didn't even know there was a beach to see.

So now it's all together and that decision has been made for us. So we make the best of it. This event has changed time and time again over the last 11 years, including times when there was no fort and no camping. I for one would hate to see those days return.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Yep. Decision already made. No more polling. No more considerations. And even if it wasn't already completely out of our hands anyway, my arguments about the fort would be simpler than that. While I have my opinions for and against camping in the fort it comes down to this. I can complain or I can focus on what we have and what we need and what I can do.

I can't change the rule as it is, and when considering the positives, I'm not so sure that I would if I could, given the primary reason for the event. The Fort. I think we should examine the fort idea as it is now, with no reflection on the past.

Consider the positives (subjective at times, but positive):

Soft grass

Close proximity to all events

Larger, immediate social dynamic

We'll have the fort no matter what the English do in battle. Our stuff is there.

Bigger party

More work, which is a good thing

More privacy on the beach for long walks with a special someone

Less running about gathering pirates

More immediate control of the gathering as a whole

Closer to main restrooms

Closer to ice

Large crowd at the hangings

More storytelling

Greater chance for shared learning

a higher random recruitment opportunity

Shelter in a storm

More public attention

Greater draw to the fort

Shared rum

Shared food

Shared frivolity

More people watching

No running back to camp if you forgot something

Closer proximity to fort poles, rope etc.

More demos

Proximity to the forge

Proximity to food vendor

Proximity to other vendors

Less walking

More games

More flags

More guns

More people to borrow a knife from

Proximity to electricity (sleep apnea machines, camera, phones)

Less opportunity to miss changes or announcements

More photo opportunities

More news coverage and advertising

Easier garbage control

Less bugs

Less pine needles

Less weirdoes (highly subjective)

More ghosts (YELLOW FEVER!)

More altitude

Closer to main gate at night

Less wind (This might not seem like a plus, but ask Diosa about the column of smoke through her tent)

Building better ties through interaction with park staff

More music

Better safety meeting attendance

More hands for setting up and breaking down in one location

Sunsets from the fort

Sunrises from the fort

Sun, sun and more sun from the fort (vitamin D blowout special)

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I think this is a lot ado about nothing. The decision is made and was made some time ago about how this year's Pyrate Fest would be handled. From there, it's a simple matter of "go" or "don't go" given the constraints. It's like any other event where you have to take vacation time, travel, spend precious dough, etc.

As for the demonstrations, we had fun in the fort doing ours. We did a period perfect (as best as you can in a fort) Port Royal pub and taught the period games to the visitors. They could here us talk about politics, fashions and news as we played. It was great fun for us and the visitors.

And I know Diosa had large crowds around whenever she pressed sugar cane in period. I think it's a matter of picking the right demonstrations for the audience down there. Again, I'm no expert. Just know how it worked for us since we were always in the fort until last year.

I have to agree with Cascabel, who's been there since the beginning and really has seen it all, even when it was one weekend in Marathon and the second weekend in Key West (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, Cascabel :). There was a disconnect between the paid area and the free camping area. People didn't have to pay to come to the beach. And those in the fort often didn't even know there was a beach to see.

So now it's all together and that decision has been made for us. So we make the best of it. This event has changed time and time again over the last 11 years, including times when there was no fort and no camping. I for one would hate to see those days return.

-- Hurricane

Agreed. After all in most cases we are there for the sake of the spectators. For those of us that like to teach our history, our goal should be to make as many of our guests go home with something new that they have learned from us.

For those of us that live the life style as best we can our goal should be to give those spectators a moment, some how, of feeling that they have witnessed a glimpse of the past.

Even those of us that just enjoy posing with families for photos, that should end up being something special not only for us but for them taking the snap shot.

In many cases just our interacting with each other should provide a special moment not only for us but for our guests. Otherwise, perhaps, we should be sticking solely to immersion type events. I, personally, wholeheartedly enjoy immersion events but I also like interacting with the public and many events want just that... and sometimes all it takes to make a child's day is stopping and giving them a coin or putting your hat on their head during a photo opportunity.

How many of us, have done something that has turned a spectator into a new member of our hobby? How many of us have thrilled some little kid so much so that they have gone home and cracked open a book about our history? Unfortunately we will never know, but in many cases our passion is to accomplish just this thing. It really shouldn't matter in the long run where we do what we do, each time we set foot in our arena we should be willing to prove our worth to those that are coming to see us and to them that are trusting us to provide our services for them. Granted we are well known to ourselves but not every event host knows every one in our community so we will always have to prove our worth. As event hosts change, we will have to prove our worth over and over again. It just comes with the territory.

Crewe of the Archangel