Attention All Hands

Fayma Callahan

A very nice response, thank you. I'm glad we are at last talking about this stuff. Open communications is much better than all the silly rumors I have been hearing.

Ew...schedules. I keep schedules when I'm paid to. What if you provided me with a space in a corner or somewhere not on the map where I could set up and see how the traffic went for an hour or two? That's what I've done at every other event. They usually seem happy to have me around because few people display the stuff that I do.

As for perks, I personally don't care about the insurance (which is most likely for the fort rather than for me - I've purchased event insurance for several Haunted Houses so I am passing familiar with how it works.) I never stay in the fort. The only perk I get that I really want is gate admission and the ability to hang around after hours so I can write about what happens in the Journal.

And the Journal is sort of a perk for the fort - it's free advertising. I don't do it only for that reason, though; I like to write it. In fact I'm going to try and do the majority of the web page during the event this year. Well...that's the plan. Don't hold me to it as I don't know if I can stand being away from the action for the hours that will take each day to do that. Not to mention not knowing how good the internet connection at my condo will be. But I can't resist the challenge of trying to do it this once...I'm in the planning stages even as we type.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

A very nice response, thank you. I'm glad we are at last talking about this stuff. Open communications is much better than all these silly rumors.

Ew...schedules. I keep schedules when I'm paid to. What if you provided me with a space where I could set up and see how the traffic went for an hour or two? That's what I've done at every other event. They usually seem happy to have me around because few people display the stuff that I do.

Works for me...

when you need a break we can possibly arrange for someone to cover your area or be free to stow your gear in my tent for safe keeping.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

A very nice response, thank you. I'm glad we are at last talking about this stuff. Open communications is much better than all these silly rumors.

Ew...schedules. I keep schedules when I'm paid to. What if you provided me with a space where I could set up and see how the traffic went for an hour or two? That's what I've done at every other event. They usually seem happy to have me around because few people display the stuff that I do.

Works for me...

when you need a break we can possibly arrange for someone to cover your area or be free to stow your gear in my tent for safe keeping.

Seconded.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

As always William, you have the best way to look at things. I really enjoyed the fort. And frankly, you really don't even notice it once all the tents and people are there. It just becomes a big brick container for fun and fellowship. Let's face it, we could all make a cruise ship feel piratey and period with our collective creativity and resourcefulness.

Man, if only we had a video projector. I have a killer presentation on Port Royal and life there in its heyday, along with what happened during the earthquake. Lots of photos of artifacts and stuff. Why can't video projectors be period? But then, I'd need a dark place to do it too. Always something. :)

I'm not staying at the fort this year but if you need me to do a presentation, I can. I'm doing History vs. Hollywood at the Orlando Science Center in a couple weeks. I can also do what life was really like on a pirate ship. Kids love that one. :)

I know my own crewe is here to make this a terrific Fort Fest and PiP, regardless of the location.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Consider the positives (subjective at times, but positive):

Soft grass

Soft grass my arse...that only helps when yer on yer feet all day...try sitting on a hard wooden bench for hours signing pardons, trust me, yer feet feel fine....

:huh:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

As always William, you have the best way to look at things. I really enjoyed the fort. And frankly, you really don't even notice it once all the tents and people are there. It just becomes a big brick container for fun and fellowship. Let's face it, we could all make a cruise ship feel piratey and period with our collective creativity and resourcefulness.

You know, based on past experience...that's probably the gospel truth. One thing about PiP I've found...no matter how much silliness and nonsense goes on outside the event, the event itself is second to none in my book. But then I've loved Key West since I first stumbled on to the pier at the end of Duvall...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I was hoping more for the offer of a silk pillow....

Crewe of the Archangel

Cut some sod and place it on the bench.

Which poor sod did you have in mind?? :huh:

hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

ROTDLMAO!!!!!!

Crewe of the Archangel

Right then that silk pillow is looking better and better...

Crewe of the Archangel

Someone of girth and luxury, well fed on barley corn.

Right then that silk pillow is looking better and better...

Whew!, I was getting worried my contribution to the living history demo was to be press ganged as a footrest...

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Hmmmmm.....now there's a thought

Crewe of the Archangel

Yep. Decision already made. No more polling. No more considerations. And even if it wasn't already completely out of our hands anyway, my arguments about the fort would be simpler than that. While I have my opinions for and against camping in the fort it comes down to this. I can complain or I can focus on what we have and what we need and what I can do.

I can't change the rule as it is, and when considering the positives, I'm not so sure that I would if I could, given the primary reason for the event. The Fort. I think we should examine the fort idea as it is now, with no reflection on the past.

Consider the positives (subjective at times, but positive):

Soft grass

Close proximity to all events

Larger, immediate social dynamic

We'll have the fort no matter what the English do in battle. Our stuff is there.

Bigger party

More work, which is a good thing

More privacy on the beach for long walks with a special someone

Less running about gathering pirates

More immediate control of the gathering as a whole

Closer to main restrooms

Closer to ice

Large crowd at the hangings

More storytelling

Greater chance for shared learning

a higher random recruitment opportunity

Shelter in a storm

More public attention

Greater draw to the fort

Shared rum

Shared food

Shared frivolity

More people watching

No running back to camp if you forgot something

Closer proximity to fort poles, rope etc.

More demos

Proximity to the forge

Proximity to food vendor

Proximity to other vendors

Less walking

More games

More flags

More guns

More people to borrow a knife from

Proximity to electricity (sleep apnea machines, camera, phones)

Less opportunity to miss changes or announcements

More photo opportunities

More news coverage and advertising

Easier garbage control

Less bugs

Less pine needles

Less weirdoes (highly subjective)

More ghosts (YELLOW FEVER!)

More altitude

Closer to main gate at night

Less wind (This might not seem like a plus, but ask Diosa about the column of smoke through her tent)

Building better ties through interaction with park staff

More music

Better safety meeting attendance

More hands for setting up and breaking down in one location

Sunsets from the fort

Sunrises from the fort

Sun, sun and more sun from the fort (vitamin D blowout special)

WiIlliam - we do appreciate your positive spin on the thing - some things I hadn't thought of.

And not to beat a dead horse - but the camping on the beach part is big draw for attendance.

Since there is no other place to register our thoughts, short of rumor-mongering, at least hear it out and edit if it gets negative.

I don't see a lot of dwelling on the negative at this point, as Mission said... at least there is discussion around it.

My concern is when you hear people are bowing out because of it, or lack of it, you have consider it as a factor.

It was almost a turning point in my decision as well. Flying from Arizona and camping I have ta travel light - no trees for a hammock almost kills it. I'm still attending this year but ended up making rather pricey arrangements in town. This will be a factor in the future.

Let's focus on fixing the logistics for living history demos, maybe future events will offer a return to camping on the beach.

In the mean time, hopefully the powers that be - will at least listen.

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I just traveled to an event partly by bus. One 50lb suitcase and a carry on. One third of my suitcase was taken up by my camping mat but I managed to pack all that I needed for two characters except the black powder (I didn't think I should take that on the bus). I know that airlines are charging more for baggage these days but I still think it would be cheaper than a condo. I was fortunate in that I didn't need a tent.

Has anyone considered asking if they can sleep in the protection of the fort walls rather than a tent?

Those of you that are not camping could consider rooming together to save funding.

Also, there is a way to set up hammocks without trees, don't ask me how, but those of you with hammocks could probably set them up nightly. Maybe some could sleep on the tables and benches that are under the dinning canopy if permitted.

All I need is a place out of the rain, a place to wash, a place to dress and a place to charge my CPAP battery because without electricity for my CPAP NO ONE SLEEPS!

I just traveled to an event partly by bus. One 50lb suitcase and a carry on. One third of my suitcase was taken up by my camping mat but I managed to pack all that I needed for two characters except the black powder (I didn't think I should take that on the bus). I know that airlines are charging more for baggage these days but I still think it would be cheaper than a condo. I was fortunate in that I didn't need a tent.

Has anyone considered asking if they can sleep in the protection of the fort walls rather than a tent?

Those of you that are not camping could consider rooming together to save funding.

Also, there is a way to set up hammocks without trees, don't ask me how, but those of you with hammocks could probably set them up nightly. Maybe some could sleep on the tables and benches that are under the dinning canopy if permitted.

All I need is a place out of the rain, a place to wash, a place to dress and a place to charge my CPAP battery because without electricity for my CPAP NO ONE SLEEPS!

I have a feeling sleeping in the fort walls may be ok. That is where I have slept in the past and it has been a great location and no need for a tent :)

AND there are plugs in there where you can plug in your CPAP, although you may have to battle Io and Cutter who are coming with me and also need to plug one in. Maybe we can get an extension cord and get you all set up :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Just so everyone understands that my comments are not adversarial criticism of the pyrate family, i wish to be clear that my disdain is directed at losing a part that was gained through the efforts of those before (i.e. beach camping) and i saw the comment "earn our way back to..." which further makes my point. You that worked for it don't owe nobody nuthin! It is obvious that the fort personnel responsilbe for the comment or mandating "showing your real value' to paraphrase it is the ulitmate insult. i said i would still provide items for auction, but as this admin. obviously looks down upon the efforts already provided, I do so with reservation. They wouldn't have the high horse to ride if not for your talents and efforts in the first place. Furthermore, when I donated items for the Santa maria and the Luna, I recieved not only the thanks from my pyrate family, but also from the directors of those organizations in writing. But those items I donated to the DMC I got the appreciated thanks from you guys and gals, but from Ft. ZT... SQUAT!

You all deserve better consideration than what is being shown and it troubles me to see my friends being made to jump through flaming hoops for carrot on a stick. I admire that you all will make the best of it, but that sort of thing just turns me sour.

Kudos to those who persevere, but I will not attend an event where the admin is such as it is. Been there done that got the scars.

Bo

I guess it's how you look at it.

I've never thought of the Pyrate Fest and certainly not PiP as a place for strict re-enactment or for having the fort love us. It's the closest we can all come to a hippy-pirate event where all are welcome, from the polyester pirate to the hard core re-enactor.

I don't think any of us does this for the fort - we do it for ourselves. It's the place to come where the weather is warm and the people are welcoming. It's just so Key West.

It's nice that the fort lets people camp there for free. Key West is expensive to stay in otherwise. It's definitely the nicest campground I've ever been to in Florida. Can't bring cannons easily to the other ones and if a little demo keeps it free and available, terrific!

I doubt anyone here who's been really feels slighted. Before 2005 there was no camping anywhere on the fort grounds. Then Harry let some then all out on the beach. And when Harry left, all the rules changed. That's what happens where there's a management change.

But it still can't detract from the fact that Key West is one heckuva place to have a pirate festival and the campground is a bonus round, regardless where it is or what has to be done, because it allows more people to attend. Sure beats the days when we were all spread out in hotels across this 2 by 5 mile stretch of sand.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

You know, I do think Bo brings up some good points. This stuff has been simmering under the surface for quite some time and it seems to me that it is a good thing that it is finally seeing the light of day. If such things aren't allowed to be discussed, they tend to lead to unhappy people and rumors about what is really going on. I've heard many such rumors in the past year and a half and many of them have been shown to be false with this post. So at least this discussion has been a catalyst for better communications with the folks who are closer to what's going on.

We used to have pretty good communication when Harry was around. He even posted on this forum from time to time. But he retired and that's that. Now we have new people working at the fort who seem to view us with a bit of skepticism. I don't know them, I didn't meet them at the last PiP, but I've heard (rumors again) at least some of them are sticklers for following rules to the letter.

Fort Taylor is not a campground, is not intended to be one, yet here we are, a group of people aping some of the most flagrant rule-breakers in history being allowed to camp there. If you were a rule-stickler, this would probably rankle - severely. So now we have to show that we're not all just a bunch of drunken slobs who are taking advantage of an opportunity few people get in Key West. Perhaps the sticklers will eventually see we're really an all-right bunch. (Or not. Although how such folks can even stand to live in Key West for more than a week or two would be sort of a mystery to me. Key West's history is littered with people and events that go out of their way not to follow the rules.)

As for the thank you thing, I can understand your ire, but I suspect the fort may not even know that you donated something. I believe the auction was for the Friends of Fort Taylor and not for the Fort itself. FoFT is an all volunteer group. I always donate to them after the event - and have done after every PiP so far - and they always thank me in one way or another. Although I must admit that until Fayma got involved with them, I had found them to be a bit disorganized. So even they may not have been very clear on who donated stuff. Since Fayme IS involved now, I suspect things with the FoFT will improve. They have from my experience.

I have only heard back from the fort folks once regarding my donations of money and simulated gibbeted bodies - and that was from Harry. I could be upset - Becky never even got hung up last year - but my philosophy is that if I let other's actions (or inactions) guide my behavior, I am giving control of your emotional well being to them. So I just appreciate the kudos I receive and don't worry about the ones I don't. If it bothered me that much, I'd probably just take Bo's approach and not get involved with it. No sense creating stress in my life. But I don't feel that way, and it's still my favorite event.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I agree, discussion is a good thing. I can see both sides on this one but I have to say...

are you all sitting...

I agree with Hurricane and Mission on this one.

I have been visiting the fort since the 2006 invasion ...4 of us stayed at the fort that year and other than the ants it was okay. The beach is fantastic and I love staying there and who knows ...maybe next year. Finally, Logistically speaking having everything in the fort makes sense.

Bo, more than your donations of goods, and you have been VERY generous thank you, I think your idea of the DMC is one of the most valuable suggestions to any of the not for profit organizations involved in pirate re-enacting. I think we all owe you a big thank you for that one.

Well said Mission. I do know that the new leadership was concerned about just being a bunch of partiers and out of control "pirates." Last year, they saw that was definitely not the case. In fact, I think they saw enough promise that they wanted to move everything inside so it had critical mass, much like their Civil War re-enactment. If they had seen anything at all that they didn't like or see promise in, I think we could guarantee we wouldn't be there again this year, as last year was the probationary period post Harry.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

It is not the lack of a thank you that was the point i was trying to make, it is the comparison between folks that appreciate, and those that don't that i'd hoped to show. At any rate, thanks to the few who at least acknowldeged my concerns. The "sit down, shut-up, it's already been decided" comment speaks volumes.

Bo

P.S. when i do donate I do NOT expect anything in return, but I do notice those who do and those who don't.

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.