Mel Fisher Gold Bar Stolen

I remember the first time hefting that bar of gold. It was so much heavier than it looked! It was when first put on display across the street. They had all these pyramid stacks of silver bar everywhere and armed guards because they hadn't yet found a repository! I first met the Fisher Crew in the early '70s when they had the old Spanish Galleon Vessel. "Today's the Day!"

I didn't do it. But I sure wish I had.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

You'd think if they knew it was gone within 10 minutes that they would have set up a roadblock somewhere on the only road leading out of Key West. They had photos of the guys.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I know who did it !!!!!!!!

It says so right at the top of the page under the heading, "Recent Topics Added".......

Mel Fisher Gold Bar Stolen by Diosa De Cancion user_popup.png

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

>>>>> Cascabel

Hahaha Nice! But Cascabel, had it been me, you would have already gotten an invite to the party I would be throwing to celebrate.... on an island.... my newly acquired island... :unsure:

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Glad Eye had the chance afore the gold bar dissapered into Mad Dogges britches!

So Yeah..I whole heartily agree with Willie Wobble! Eagh eagh~

PC067137.jpg

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

now i aint sayin we no nuthin about...nuthin.... :unsure:

we didnt do it....and ya got no witness...see...and the witness all lie!!

PC067135.jpg

just a mere happenstance is all....aint it? :lol:

PC067134.jpg

we was framed i tell ya framed!! :lol:

PC067137.jpg

If these guys didn't do it - they had three very close calls :lol:

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Chances are very good they're already melted it. It destroys the evidence and it quickly becomes a bankable asset that is easy to sell on the open markets a piece at a time. Hell, you can sell it in a mall these days, no questions asked. Pirates would have done the same thing back in the day. Some things never change, especially where gold is concerned. Wished I would have thought of it.

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Chances are very good they're already melted it. It destroys the evidence and it quickly becomes a bankable asset that is easy to sell on the open markets a piece at a time. Hell, you can sell it in a mall these days, no questions asked. Pirates would have done the same thing back in the day. Some things never change, especially where gold is concerned. Wished I would have thought of it.

- Hurricane

Agreed, I figure it was melted within a few hours of the theft honestly... no trace of it at that point....If these folks took the time to plan how they would do it, I am going to guess they had the forethought to figure out how to take care of any 'evidence' after they got it. My guess is the best the museum can hope for is that they catch them and can file criminal charges... but I am pretty sure the melted gold has already been sold.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Agreed, I figure it was melted within a few hours of the theft honestly... no trace of it at that point....If these folks took the time to plan how they would do it, I am going to guess they had the forethought to figure out how to take care of any 'evidence' after they got it. My guess is the best the museum can hope for is that they catch them and can file criminal charges... but I am pretty sure the melted gold has already been sold.

I disagree that the most the museum can hope for is to file criminal charges. I'm sure the museum has already filed a claim with their insurance company. Now there is a bounty on those pirates by the biggest syndicate of all. They will be caught and the museum will be slapped (insurance dropped or premiums raised) for not keeping track of the goods. Visiting the museum will cost more to those who love these places.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

You'd think if they knew it was gone within 10 minutes that they would have set up a roadblock somewhere on the only road leading out of Key West. They had photos of the guys.

-- Hurricane

What if they left by boat? ph34r.gif

D.B. Couper

- Hurricane

I hope not. A good bit of its value is the collectible value.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It would be hard to steal something you had salvage rights on -- Mel Fisher had the legal right to retrieve the treasure, unlike the perp that heisted it from the museum.

There is some consensus among the locals that it wasn't the real bar. When Mel Fisher used to wear that iconic chain around town, it wasn't real either, or so says some of his friends. He told them he'd be nuts to wear that much gold around in a town where a thief could easily roll him in an alley. Makes sense.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

by usa standards not bt spanish rights as most ship wrecks are, its no different if someone steals an item from you or you "find" with the rights of political backing, it really isnt mel fishers its that he has money and basically bought his way with rights, if ya ask the spanish about it they say its theirs now who is the pirate here. it really doesnt matter who steals what its just comes down to two wrongs dont make it right, if ya ask the thieves who took a gold bar they will probably say well we found the bar like mel fisher found the atocha, its always different when things are in your backyard, it all comes down to ethics. really the treasure was actually stolen from the south americans labor the spanish inflicted on them which basically they stole. in which mel fisher took from them and the thieves took from mel fisher, so really the treasure is just all stolen loot! i see it as welcome to pyracy boys.

That sir, at best, is laughable. And I did need a good giggle this morning. Thank you.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

seems like mel fisher has a few fans here, makes me laugh seeing most of these post here have no research in what people say in many of their thoughts they post. i just see things very different than most and yer sarcasm helps poeple to commit pyracy , just remember that someone always gets burned in the end, have some empathy for others who got burned from the start. i have no remorse for fisher as he is a pirate too. its what we are and do, its a cutthroat business.