Surgical Instruments, Procedures and Whatnot

Mission

This month's article is the first of a two-part article about amputation. (There is so much information about amputation that it's going to run 10 pages once I finish it in April.) This part looks at pirates & amputation, reasons to perform it and how the surgeon and patient prepare for it.

Next month I'll talk about how the operation was performed, different ways to stop the bleeding, post-operative procedures and the prosthetic.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, but this is all the material I never thought would make much sense putting into a book. (I can't see the general public going for it.) That's why I'm publishing it on-line.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Easter weekend! I have taken a slight deviation from my intended course by putting together an article on the use of Eggs in Medicine During the Golden Age of Piracy.

The second half of the article amputation will be published next month, I promise! It's about half done, so I should be able to keep that promise. It's turning out to require quite a bit of research, especially when finding appropriate images.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Happy Easter weekend! I have taken a slight deviation from my intended course by putting together an article on the use of Eggs in Medicine During the Golden Age of Piracy.

The second half of the article amputation will be published next month, I promise! It's about half done, so I should be able to keep that promise. It's turning out to require quite a bit of research, especially when finding appropriate images.

Happy easter! :lol:

I may not be need for peg leg pics or do you? ( are you already dealt with those?)

here is some pics still

http://www.metmuseum...n+Rijn)&pos=128

soldier from early 17th century

http://www.aucklanda...982_1_2_158.jpg

I afraid that these are not good

there is one and he is sailor bit later period but... http://www.eco-action.org/dod/no10/books_hydra.htm

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Thanks! I don't know if I'll use them or not, but more images are always helpful. Interesting that the first two images show people with crutches and the last one shows a man with no prosthetic at all. Not quite the pirate image we're used to, is it?

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thanks! I don't know if I'll use them or not, but more images are always helpful. Interesting that the first two images show people with crutches and the last one shows a man with no prosthetic at all. Not quite the pirate image we're used to, is it?

I say Long John Silver, and he has no protestic att all. Often I hear that it is error why he has no wooden leg but see that 18th century sailor has missing leg but see no woodenleg at all. Perhaps Stevenson saw that pic and it inspired him....

oneleg.jpg

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

• 1 month later...

This month's article is the first of a two-part article about amputation. (There is so much information about amputation that it's going to run 10 pages once I finish it in April.) This part looks at pirates & amputation, reasons to perform it and how the surgeon and patient prepare for it.

I skipping the discussion on amputation in April so that I could talk about the use of eggs in medicine. This month I returned to finish that amputation article.

The completion of the amputation procedure begins on page 6. It discusses how the operation was performed, the all-important procedure for stopping bleeding, post-operative concerns and care-giving, the period prosthetic and phantom limbs.

Those who have not read the first part, or who want to start at the beginning may want to follow the link in the above quote to get to the first page.

Next month we'll be looking at leeches.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

This surgeon's month's article is on the use of leeches during the golden age of piracy. You will find it via this link or by clicking on the picture below. I hope you enjoy reading these most fascinating little bloodletters as much as I did!

leech_physician_and_leeches_l_boilly_1827.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

It's hard as hell to get around with only one crutch.....i've tried it........ two crutches are a piece of cake ......

Especially with guns sticking out of you at every angle like quills upon the fretful porpentine. This is one of Wyeth's, right? He's another one of those artists who helped inspire Hollywood. :rolleyes:

Mission_banner5.JPG

Wish I could do the one crutch thing......but I'm as clumsy as a bear.

tn_gallery_11477_414_27973.jpg

One would think that if the parrot was to be employed in providing proper upward thrust/lift, it would be worn over the shoulder on whichever side the leg was missing. (I'm no rocket scientist, this is just a humble opinion based on observation.)

Edited by landlubbersanonymous

As per the book "Treasure Islang" Long John only had one leg. so Wyeth's version was not correct. t should be like this.......

Did'nt know Pyrate Captian had allready posted this picture my bad.

gallery_11477_414_20924.jpg

Edited by peglegstrick

• 1 month later...

This month's Pirate Surgeon article is on the history of pirate and sea surgeons. I offered to write and article for a magazine being put together for the Michigan Pirate Festival next month it was so interesting to research that I decide to make it this month's article. Enjoy!

surg_hist_pyle_colonel_rhett_and_the_pirate_afterfight_1901.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

This month's article takes a look at eye wounds and their period treatment. It also features a discussion on how that hoary old cliche the eye patch came to be associated with pirates. You can access it via this link. Comments are always welcome!

eye_speculum_heister_1743_plate17_p416.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

For those of you who follow the articles from here, I just noticed that last month's article on the history of pirate surgeons wasn't properly linked. I fixed it up there, but you can also find it here.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

This month's article is the first of two parts on Wound Dressings during the Golden Age of Pyracy. It features detailed information on Plasters, Pledgets and Medicinal Tents. Next month we'll be looking at bandages and bandaging.

dressings_scultetus_l_arcenal_de_chirurgery_p68_table27_intro.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The completion of the article on wound dressings has been posted. You can read it beginning on page 6 on my webpage via this link. (For those wanting to start from the first page and read the complete article, follow this link.)

The new pages discuss the role and use of bolsters/compresses and bandages. They include a detailed look at roller bandages, napkins and splints as well as detail on different facets of the process and concerns noted by golden age of piracy era surgeons. Enjoy!

trepanning_incision_from_the_stone_cutting_by_hieronymus_bosch_14th_century.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

For fun I started out creating a quick web page the linked pirates to the celebration of Halloween (which is impossible). Then I got all involved in it, being a Halloween fan. So here is the link to my latest addition to the Surgeon's Pages: Pompions and Ghostly Tales in the Golden Age of Pyracy. Enjoy!

halloween_st_elmos_fire_naturwunder_im_reiche_der_luft_wfm_zimmerman_1860_p304.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

November's article is the first of two parts about the Surgeon's Quarters. (It was originally supposed to the be first of one part, but then I got all side-tracked talking about pirate ships and, well... now it's going to be in two parts.) This part looks at the ships the surgeon would have served on and the second part will be about the surgeon's actual location, quarters, conditions and routines while shipboard. The second part will appear in January - I will be posting an article on a more timely topic in December as well as working on the Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion Surgeon's Journal and I want to be sure I am able to give the second part the attention it deserves.

Special thanks this month to Brit.Privateer, William Red Wake and Dutchman for looking over my information on pirate ships and advising on me on how to make it more informative and accurate. Nevertheless, any mistakes in content are mine, not theirs. Also thanks to Mae for looking over my spelling and grammar.

quarters_1820.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

This month's Pirate Surgeon article is on Christmas and New Year's at Sea. It features bits I've picked up on celebrating these holidays by sailors, privateers, buccaneers and pirates. Happy holidays everyone!

christmas_celebration_dance_a_pastoral_a_set_of_rogues_frank_barrett_1895_p_355.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

This month I put together the second part of the Surgeon's Quarters article I started in November. This part focuses on the surgeon's operating theater and sick bay on the orlop deck and looks at the conditions of each. It also details how the surgeon would have prepared for battle and what conditions were like during and after that. You can read the second half of the article starting on this page.

If you don't remember the first part (which was concerned with the types of ships pirates used and how that would affect the location of the surgeon), you can start from the first page of the article.

I quite like what I've written here, so I hope you enjoy it as well.

quarters_battle_capture_of_blackbeard_th

Mission_banner5.JPG