The Tiller and the Mizzenmast

Daniel

It seems pretty common to mount the ship's wheel forward of the mizzenmast, as in this magnificent model of a 1740 East Indiaman. This arrangement, however, would make it difficult or impossible to step the mizzenmast on the keel. The wheel's tackles must connect to the head of the tiller, and unless the tiller is to slice through the mizzenmast, then the tiller must have its own space below the step of the mizzenmast, but above the keel. I suppose it might be possible to put the head of the tiller abaft the mizzenmast and then run the wheel tackles at an angle on either side of the mizzenmast, upward and forward to the wheel, but wouldn't that take away most of the wheel's leverage and make it very hard to turn?

On the other hand, if they don't step the mizzenmast on the keel, what do they step it on? Plain deck planks wouldn't be able to support it, would they?

One way around the problem(which you had already hinted at) wound indeed be to use tackles....bbuuttt using and extra set would solve the problem of leverage. one pair would be located directly beneath the wheel and run straight aft until they were abaft the mizzenmast, at which point they would splay to tackles on either side of the ship, and then back abeam to the end of the tiller. Its pretty much the same configuration as normal, but with an extra "extension" back to the tiller . I hope that description was clear.......

man that was a simpler explanation........thanks double dutch!

Edited by Bos'n Cross

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

One way around the problem(which you had already hinted at) wound indeed be to use tackles....bbuuttt using and extra set would solve the problem of leverage. one pair would be located directly beneath the wheel and run straight aft until they were abaft the mizzenmast, at which point they would splay to tackles on either side of the ship, and then back abeam to the end of the tiller. Its pretty much the same configuration as normal, but with an extra "extension" back to the tiller . I hope that description was clear.......

man that was a simpler explanation........thanks double dutch!

Aye, think naught upon it, me friend.

• 6 months later...