Sept. 18th and 19th - Columbus, OH - Santa Maria Pirate Weekend

michaelsbagley

Yeah, while it isn't soon, it is coming up and with me being busy this summer, I thought I would start the ball rolling now rather than waiting for the last minute.

Details are as usual with the same caveat that changes may occur, but I will update this forum (and others) as well as the web site if and as soon as any major changes occur.

For those who came last September, it doesn't look like the ship is booked either night, so the R-Bar excursion may be a lot more optional. Although the R-Bar has opened a kitchen and does now serve food (which was the biggest issue with that last year).

There is a Facebook Page for this event up as well, but please keep in mind the Facebook page is just as much for spectators (if not more so) as for the participants, so please try to keep re-enactor and participant organizational posts here or via email so as to not confuse spectators as to what the event is about.

More details to come as they become relevant.

Michael_banner.jpg

What do you think about recruiting people to do displays? After seeing everyone pitch in at Put-in-Bay, I was thinking about all those splendidly dressed folks hanging out on the tiered lawn and all their latent potential. (Not make it a required thing, you understand, just to give them an option - a suggestion, a hint. Everyone did such a fine job at P-i-B....)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

What do you think about recruiting people to do displays? After seeing everyone pitch in at Put-in-Bay, I was thinking about all those splendidly dressed folks hanging out on the tiered lawn and all their latent potential. (Not make it a required thing, you understand, just to give them an option - a suggestion, a hint. Everyone did such a fine job at P-i-B....)

I'm on it! I am going to ensure the gambling/gaming demo gets done again, as it is a lot of fun, and potentially very interactive (see last paragraph of this blog). If real life and time permit, I hope to even have reproduction period coins for that demo. Jay, Sam and I really had a good time of that on Sunday at P-I-B, and I feel foolish for not thinking of getting that going on Saturday. The gaming demo is a great one, because anyone can come in and exit out of the demo at leisure. Kate (the wife) has some good ideas she has been kicking around for quite a while as well.

I'm also contemplating a more fun (but a bit off the wall) addition for Friday night, but I want to run it past Mark G and some of the others before I getting a feel for it here (it is fun but would require a majority participate).

Michael_banner.jpg

Ivan Henry said he was interested in doing a weapons demo. (I don't know if he's coming or not, but he seemed interested in returning.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'm on it! I am going to ensure the gambling/gaming demo gets done again, as it is a lot of fun, and potentially very interactive (see last paragraph of this blog). If real life and time permit, I hope to even have reproduction period coins for that demo. Jay, Sam and I really had a good time of that on Sunday at P-I-B, and I feel foolish for not thinking of getting that going on Saturday. The gaming demo is a great one, because anyone can come in and exit out of the demo at leisure. Kate (the wife) has some good ideas she has been kicking around for quite a while as well.

I'm also contemplating a more fun (but a bit off the wall) addition for Friday night, but I want to run it past Mark G and some of the others before I getting a feel for it here (it is fun but would require a majority participate).

I have a stash of repro Spanish coins for gambling and such.

Some good news from the ship - so far the ship has had its best attendance in years. More people (20,000+) have been through the ship so far this year than usually go through in an entire year.

Mark

Good ol' Priceline. Staying at the Hyatt again for $50 a night. I've decided that I quite like that hotel - and now that I know where it is I won't have to spend hours hunting for it. :lol:

Mission_banner5.JPG

Some other activities will be going on across the river. The arts festival will be going on again. Riverfire will be held both nights. That's fire juggling and music. I know the Irish band performing Saturday night.

BTW, I have a "shut the box" game which is easier to document than that thing with the dreidel. I think that there was one on the Whydah (at least that's what the accompanying gift shop claimed).

Mark

• 1 month later...

Good ol' Priceline. Staying at the Hyatt again for $50 a night. I've decided that I quite like that hotel - and now that I know where it is I won't have to spend hours hunting for it. B)

Tried name your price on Priceline today and I ended up with the Holiday Inn for my $50 bid. Not quiet the Hyatt but less than 1 mile away from the ship!

Who else is going???

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Good question. I have boats to crew. I'd hate to have to send out a press gang.

Mark

I'm in the process of composing the list of those who are coming or have expressed serious interest... It's looking like attendance will be down slightly from May, but still a strong showing. There will also be a few new faces.

Michael_banner.jpg

Anyone want to join me in presenting? (It's fun - plus it gives you something specific to do during the day.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Who else is going???

I wish! B) No traveling far from home for me that weekend.... so I will be spending it as Mary Read locally with Willie Wobble, William and other Men of Menendez members getting a little 'pirate time' at the Orlando Science Center, but I will miss you all!!!

For those of you who have not been there, It's fantastic! Just wonderful to live on the ship for a few days and kick back with everyone else and the public that visited when I did it last was very excited to see it and made it all the more fun!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

You guys will never guess who is coming up for this event... B)

Mission_banner5.JPG

If it was really to be a surprise, I wouldn't have mentioned it. B)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Reminder - a few rules on the Santa Maria:

Absolutely no smoking on the ship. Wooden ships catch fire really easily and are impossible to put out.

No drinking in the park. It is a violation of the state's open beverage law and you can be arrested.

If you want to smoke and drink at the same time then stay on the gangplank (seriously). For those who have not seen it, it is a really substantial gang plank.

We would like everyone to sign a waiver but everyone who wants to climb has to sign a waiver. This includes the rope ladder during the battle. Waivers are good for the year so anyone who signed a waiver in May is still covered.

No live steel during the battle. With people coming over the railing it would be too easy for someone to trip and get hurt. We will have some soft weapons available.

I know pirates don't like rules so think of this as the ship's articles.

Mark

I think between Jeannie, Trish and I, we have food figured out.

If anyone would like to bring anything and contribute to lunches/snacks, please contact me either here or preferably by facebook or email because I rarely get on here anymore. Email is faereygirl@sbcglobal.net Put something in the subject so i know who you are and don't think its SPAM.

I do have a list of things that folks could bring, but again, contact me off list.

Banner.jpg

The event was a huge success. It was the ship's biggest weekend for the year (with the Spring pirate event coming in second). Interaction between the pirates and visitors was very good. The battles were a lot of fun. And we had an all-time number of Floridians (3). Thanks everyone.

I posted several pictures of the Mercury flag on the Santa Maria.

Mark