Help is needed to defend the history

Can't believe the sensitivity of some businessmen and politicians. What the hell are they thinking?

Subject: Wind Farm Behind the French Castle

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:12:14 -0400

Old Fort Niagara needs your help. The New York Power Authority proposes to install a wind farm off the Lake Ontario shore directly behind the 1726 French Castle. See the link below. The first step in opposing this intolerable affront to the Fort's historical character will come on next Tuesday evening (7/27) when we have asked the Niagara County Legislature to adopt a resolution opposing Power Authority's plan. We do not oppose wind power, only the construction of these massive modern wind turbines within the Fort's viewshed. (see OFN Board Resolution attached.) If you are a Niagara County resident, your county legislator needs to hear from you before next Tuesday. If you are not a Niagara County resident but have visited and enjoyed the Fort, the Chairman of the Legislature, Mr. William Ross, needs to hear from you. His email address is William.Ross@NiagaraCounty.com Please help insure that Old Fort Niagara's historical integrity is protected by acting now and by passing this email along to others who might assist our cause. Many thanks, Bob Emerson Executive Director Old Fort Niagara (716) 745-7611 ext. 228

http://niagara-gazet...re-wind-project :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by callenish gunner

Since I'm not a resident or visitor of the place, my opinion is only of limited relevance. Apart from spoiling the view (in the opinion of some - I happen to think wind turbines are rather attractive pieces of engineering), in what way is the fort threatened by the proposal? Surely the fort, like all old structures, has evolved and changed with the demands of time. I presume there's a nice tarmac road leading to the site, and from the photos on the web there appear to be tarmac roads within the fort itself. Wind turbines are a definite feature of life in the early 21st century, and within a century will probably be historic structures in their own right.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but I just don't see the big issue.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

CGunner -

:lol: It seems that these projects always come at the expence of the public. Downstate the want to erect wind generators off the State run beaches. Your view can be dispoiled but not mine. It's the same crapola every time.

I'm not a Niagara County resident however I'll contact my local state senator and assemblyman as well as Mr. Ross in regards to NYPA's proposed site.

GO NUCLEAR!

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I with Ed. It's a just another flavor of the same old "It's impossible to be truly period" lolly pop. The world changes.

(As for the nuclear thing, would it be a visual improvement to have a nuclear plant within sight of the fort wall? Although, like Ed, I think the cooling towers have a certain interesting shape that makes them appealing in a way. There's a giant (and I mean giant) windmill within sight of the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan that is startling gtacefull-looking in its way.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

:lol: It seems that these projects always come at the expence of the public.

Or at least, elements of the public. Not everyone cares about an old fort. Of course, cheaper energy that isn't going to destroy the planet we live on might, by some, be considered good for all the public.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I with Ed. It's a just another flavor of the same old "It's impossible to be truly period" lolly pop. The world changes.

(As for the nuclear thing, would it be a visual improvement to have a nuclear plant within sight of the fort wall? Although, like Ed, I think the cooling towers have a certain interesting shape that makes them appealing in a way. There's a giant (and I mean giant) windmill within sight of the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan that is startling gtacefull-looking in its way.)

Nay Doctor, cooling water from the lakes it'll be. On second thought a cooling tower with a granite facade and cannons mounted does have a certain... appeal.:lol:

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

I'm rather more with Foxe and Mission on this. Though perhaps I'll change my tune after visiting the fort next week and seeing a pristine expanse unmarred by the sweeping graceful lines of turbines. Maybe I'll squint and imagine it filled with housing developments instead...

Maybe you should be thankful that it's wind turbines, and not a Wallmart.

I'm with Foxe, Mission and Duchess on this one.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

What I'm talking about is a half mile of an almost 80 mile stretch of coastline ...I agree that windmills are graceful engineering feats. Would repositioning 6 or seven of them be so difficult to preserve the historic feel of this almost 300 year old fort? It is like a wind farm on the meadows that surround Stonehenge. where no picture can be taken of the structure can be taken without the modern structures in every shot. It looses something ...at least to me.

Unfortunately, it's always a case of "anywhere but my own back yard." Obviously those of us in Florida aren't a huge fan of oil rigs on the horizon of our once pristine beaches. But public good negates personal desires. Same with any other measure of "progress". Geez, go see the Alamo once. It's smack dab in the middle of San Antonio and surrounded by high rises.

Frankly, it's more remarkable that these things were saved in the first place. In Washington state, where I come from, if it's over 50 years old then it's got to go! I can't tell you how many historica landmarks were razed in the name of progress during my lifetime alone.

Such is life.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Geez, go see the Alamo once. It's smack dab in the middle of San Antonio and surrounded by high rises.

Funny, I nearly posted a picture of the Alamo in my first post to make my point.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

It is the most iconic example. I would say great minds think alike but I'm not so sure about mine these days. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I say if they can move it down the beach that would be great ...but who's view would that obstruct?

I do't have the answer ...stop using modern conveniences? Hey, wasn't that suppose to happen 1/1/2000 or 2001 ...or 9/9/99 ...or something like that?

tn_gallery_11157_336_889779.jpg

Fort Niagara looks just great without any wind generators in the background.

Jas. Hook

Five minutes in PhotoShop and there won't be any remnants of a wind farm. Technology restores what other technology takes away.

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Five minutes in PhotoShop and there won't be any remnants of a wind farm. Technology restores what other technology takes away.

- Hurricane

Or, for the technologically feeble, when taking your photo, simply stand between the wind farm and the fort. :blink:

(This is a tried and proven method by the way, and has been employed for years by people wanting to photograph Stonehenge without the main road 30 yards away spoiling their pictures.)

Edited by Foxe

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

So true, Foxe,

You could, of course, choose to be period and paint it instead. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I can understand why people would want an historic site to remain "pristine" if possible. But at least the fort is still there, and not being bulldozed. At least the wind turbines are a clean energy source, and not a nuke plant with waste that takes a zillion years to break down. As stated, they could have put tract houses, a mini-mart gas station, a Wallmart, or any other box store you can think of, which I think would be infinitely worse than wind turbines.

In this case, I think the wind turbines are the lesser of two, or more, weevils. :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

- Hurricane

Or, for the technologically feeble, when taking your photo, simply stand between the wind farm and the fort. :blink:

(This is a tried and proven method by the way, and has been employed for years by people wanting to photograph Stonehenge without the main road 30 yards away spoiling their pictures.)

Foxe -

Tis one thing to be in a sheep pasture, tis another to be in a lake. ;):P

Jas. Hook

We are just a demanding race. Nuclear, wind, gas, oil, etc.

I'm sure there are other places they can put the wind farm. It's like putting a couple wind turbines at Yorktown. To me, that doesn't look like a good spot to put the wind turbines.

They will just have to put the wind farms elsewhere. Simply can NOT occupy every damn square inch of this poor continent! Geez! Otherwise, we'll be looking like Corascant from Star Wars!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

The trick with wind farms is you have to put them where the wind is. Odd, isn't it? :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

LMAO! I'm trying to find a smart ass remark to go with that, Hurricane. However, I just gave up... there's too many! B) B)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

The trick with wind farms is you have to put them where the wind is. Odd, isn't it? :)

-- Hurricane

Where did our ancestors go in their sailing ships? Where the winds did.....looks like historic preservationists have a continually uphill battle before them...

-Adam C.

Edited by Slopmaker Cripps