Help is needed to defend the history

I'll bet people bitched about the sight all all those unsightly sail-less masts sitting anchored in the harbor in the 18th century too. (If the 18th c. Short Title was content searchable, I'll just bet you would find something like that. People were just as opinionated back then as they are today. The difference is that pamphlets were written expressing their opinions since they had no internet.)

It's all relative. I'll bet not more than 10% of the population would be concerned if you polled them on this. By definition, public policy caters to the majority - when it caters to the minority it is usually not very utilitarian and we wind up with laws that often have to be ignored or changed in the long run. We do not live in a snow globe. The world changes - as it must.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

The trick with wind farms is you have to put them where the wind is. Odd, isn't it? :)

-- Hurricane

Then I'm surprised there isn't a portable one following you around on a daily basis ....you could be powering half the east coast

**Sigh** Come on, folks, let's keep this discussion civil. :P

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

It would be a shame to fill the water if and when the reenactments there begin to utilize ships once again, but I could take both sides of this argument. Mostly, I would rather they placed the things elsewhere if possible.

There's a Pizza Hut just across the street from the Sphinx.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I'm surprised she doesn't eat it. (Maybe it's because she can't smell it.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Wasn't the Sphinx a fast food restaurant chain as well back then? I think this was their flagship store. :P

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

egypt_2005.1119786240.across_from_sphinx.jpg

KFC Too...... Now that's some down home southern cookin'. Across from the Sphinx I guess it would be paw smackin' good instead of finger lickin' good.Yarrrrrrrrrrrrr.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

egypt_2005.1119786240.across_from_sphinx.jpg

KFC Too...... Now that's some down home southern cookin'. Across from the Sphinx I guess it would be paw smackin' good instead of finger lickin' good.Yarrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My two schillings and nothing more.....Like Ransome says....At least it's not a walmart....That's what threatens Gettysburg and the Wilderness Battlegrounds

My friends, there seems to be an underlying current these days what just don't give a fig about historic pristine sights or hallowed grounds. I'm sure if enough people pitch a bitch, other suitable sites can be found for these necessary evil wind machines. I'm sure they can hide solar generation sites in the surrounding forests to do the same job and not ruin the serenity of this site. It takes having the huevos to stand against the machine and saying no...Progress doesn't have to be invasive on Landmarks...If we have no history to learn from, we'll keep making the same mistakes forever....Fight until they take ye down....Tis a worthy fight....ye might be surprised of the outcome...Ye Rebel Pyrate.....Iron Hand

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

My friends, there seems to be an underlying current these days what just don't give a fig about historic pristine sights or hallowed grounds.

The main point that I was trying to make in my first post is that in Europe and, I suspect, in North America, there is no such thing as an 'historic pristine sight' (or site). The world has moved on. Tarmac roads lead up to historic places, gift shops sell you plastic crap made in India, and I wonder how long you have to wait to take a photo of the site in question without a white glass-fibre yacht sailing past. The list goes ever on.

True, many people don't give a fig about history. Why should they? To many people it's worthless, uninteresting, and irrelevant. Despite my personal feelings about such philistines people, it can't be denied that they are people too, and why should their view be spoiled rather than ours?

I'm sure if enough people pitch a bitch, other suitable sites can be found for these necessary evil wind machines.

Until enough people pitch about the new site. They've got to go somewhere, and wherever they go they're bound to upset someone. Why should the sensibilities of the (statistically small) historical community be more considered than those of anyone else?

And evil is a bit of a strong word. Some people rather like them.

I'm sure they can hide solar generation sites in the surrounding forests to do the same job and not ruin the serenity of this site.

:blink: What? And have those acres of precious natural habitat destroyed just so tourists' view aren't affected? (see what I mean about my point above?)

It takes having the huevos to stand against the machine and saying no...Progress doesn't have to be invasive on Landmarks...

No, but it is generally invasive somewhere, so it might as well be landmarks as anything else.

If we have no history to learn from, we'll keep making the same mistakes forever....

Sorry, I was under the impression that the proposed site for the machines was off-shore and, at the worst, would be visible in photographs of the fort taken from certain angles. I hadn't realised that history was going to be destroyed. :unsure:

Fight until they take ye down....Tis a worthy fight....ye might be surprised of the outcome...

If you feel it's your cause then fight! To arms!

But really, aren't there much more immense issues deserving our attention?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Still looked good to me last week when we visited. Hadn't been there since I was a kid on a school field trip. It would definitely be a shame...

4859235104_31ef9e3a9c.jpg4858612541_3f8f108c8c.jpg4858616801_597bd09b7d.jpg4859237244_9e00ff679b.jpg

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)