New Wood for the "Morgan"

capn'rob

After Hurricane "Wilma" tore through Fort Lauderdale some of the saddest wreckage I saw in her wake was the uprooting of these ancient Live Oaks that stood around the Memorial Park Cemetary. The huge Banyans remained due to their roots dropping from the branches as they spread wide from their trunks. weeks later I saw these huge sections being loaded on flatbeds and in curiosity inquired as to their destination. I was told they were headed for Connecticut, "Mystic?" I asked and the answer was yes! This is but one photo of the oak sawn for Futtocks, to make up Double Sawn Frames. I have posted a few others in my Gallery.

The Schooner in the background is the "Amistad".

After Hurricane "Wilma" tore through Fort Lauderdale some of the saddest wreckage I saw in her wake was the uprooting of these ancient Live Oaks that stood around the Memorial Park Cemetary. The huge Banyans remained due to their roots dropping from the branches as they spread wide from their trunks. weeks later I saw these huge sections being loaded on flatbeds and in curiosity inquired as to their destination. I was told they were headed for Connecticut, "Mystic?" I asked and the answer was yes! This is but one photo of the oak sawn for Futtocks, to make up Double Sawn Frames. I have posted a few others in my Gallery.

Mystic has done that before. Normally the only live oaks left are in people's yards and they get angry when a boat-wright knocks at their door asking if he can cut down their shade tree. After Hurricane Hugo they sent a crew down to clean up fallen live oaks, free of charge. They have their own sawmill so, after some seasoning, they made live oak available to other historic ships (for a price). I know that the Constitution and the Mayflower II have oak from Mystic.

Mark

Mystic has done that before. Normally the only live oaks left are in people's yards and they get angry when a boat-wright knocks at their door asking if he can cut down their shade tree. After Hurricane Hugo they sent a crew down to clean up fallen live oaks, free of charge. They have their own sawmill so, after some seasoning, they made live oak available to other historic ships (for a price). I know that the Constitution and the Mayflower II have oak from Mystic.

Mark

I happened to be in Mystic Seaport the day after the Morgan was hauled out so I got a few pictures. I just posted some.

Mark