"The Guns of Hampton"

We are wrting a new song, titled "The Guns of Hampton" and we need help from the crews that fired at the Blackbeard Festival. We neen the names of your long guns and the names of the crews who fired them. We have some but not all of this.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Capt T.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Best I can do off the top of my head:

The Vigilant Crew

Crew:

Duncan

Nancy

Jeff

Cheri

Judi

Susan

O'Cin

Paige

Nick

Tara

Viv

Joe

Smee

Mary

Nico

Jojo

Cannon:

Hullmark

Beast

Skeeter

Libby

Little Friernd

Pirates Of The Dark Rose

Crew:

BLOODTHIRSTY BARBARA

TOM CRUDBEARD

Viceroy

Doc

(Plus Others)

Cannon:

Cricket

Morter (Name Needed)

The Vicar

Bronze 1 (Name Needed)

Bronze 2 (name Needed)

CSF

Crew:

Constable

Gracie

Cannon:

One Eye Jack

Princess

Archangel

Sterling

Anna

Lilly

Matty

M.A.d'Dogge

Silkie

Blackbeards Crew

Crew:

T.J.

Cannon:

Briggs

Le Baby

Sons Of The Waves

Crew:

Carl Popadick

(Plus Others)

Cannon:

Swivel (Name Needed)

Devilmen Of Cape Fear

Crew:

Matt

Cannon:

3 Pound Carriage (Name Needed)

Edited by Duncan McGuyver

Captain Duncan McGuyver

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Juryrig

MDRF Based Social & Renfaire Crew

The Juryrig

Port Tortuga

A Piracy based Pennsic household

B09 Block, The Highlands (Up Hill & Left)

Port Tortuga

briggs was the small brass tube that grace fired the first day. She is named after layne briggs, owner of the tugentine Norfolk Rebel. We borrow her from the Briggs family every year and this is the only time she is ever fired. Layne was one of the driving forces behind the festival and a large supporter of the conservation of the chesapeake bay. he also co-founded the Great Chesapeake Schooner Race. Here is his memorium from the crews site.

"Captain Briggs was the heart of the sea in Hampton Roads for as long as any can remember. A driving force in all maritime activities in the area including Harborfest and The Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race, he spoke for so many mariners during his time. His innovative "Tugantine" can still be seen at area festivals each year."

Blackbeards crews gun is actually "Le Bebe" she is french and goes le boom.

Greetings and Salutations to our resident Nightingales, By your leave, may I present, from forward, aft, alow and aloft, the guns of the "Meka"II.

The one ye hopes not t' be starin' down, "Georgie", Bow Gun, Lt. Brown. Chief Officer.

Starboard, 1st swivel, "Pernell", during one engagement Pernell was fired on by "his" gun! manned by Dutch, meself, at the time. A true"insult to injury. ."

The following is the cannon crew for Hampton, "Battle of Ocracoke".

Bow Gun, Lt. Brown.

1st Swivel, "Pernell", manned by Dutch o' Blackbeard's Crewe.

Abaft, is "Black Boot", manned by Gracie.

Abaft o' she, "Molly" small brass swivel, arms reach of Capt. Sinbad or handled by "Slowmatch", Powder Monkey.

Port side, forward. "Mr. Steele",1st Swivel , during engagement, Mr. Pernell.

"Stray Dog", manned by Don Juan.

"Sara", as with "Molly" an identicle twin, named for the Captain's twin daughters. By the Cap'n or Slo'match.

"Col. Bouche' " is the third small brass swivel. mounted in the Fighting Top. It would be handled by any manjack sent aloft to do so. "Growl ye may but go ye must!"

Words and such bein' spliced and siezed t'gether by Dutch, Bosun, "Meka"II, Armed Brig, 8 Guns, Beaufort, NC. Master, Capt. Horatio Sinbad. Chief Officer, Lt. Terry Brown. Powder Monkey/Cadet, Nicolo, "Slowmatch".

Edited by capn'rob

briggs was the small brass tube that grace fired the first day. She is named after layne briggs, owner of the tugentine Norfolk Rebel. We borrow her from the Briggs family every year and this is the only time she is ever fired. Layne was one of the driving forces behind the festival and a large supporter of the conservation of the chesapeake bay. he also co-founded the Great Chesapeake Schooner Race. Here is his memorium from the crews site.

"Captain Briggs was the heart of the sea in Hampton Roads for as long as any can remember. A driving force in all maritime activities in the area including Harborfest and The Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race, he spoke for so many mariners during his time. His innovative "Tugantine" can still be seen at area festivals each year."

Blackbeards crews gun is actually "Le Bebe" she is french and goes le boom.

Thank you posting this, Dutch. Capt. Briggs was a man apart in his drive, ideas and passion for the Bay and the Sea at Large. Having never met him I have the pleasure of knowing Terry Briggs and I feel the "apple falls not far from the tree"! So long I've dreamed of the sense of sail assisted commercial and pleasure boats and ships. Capt. Briggs brought that dream to reality. Like my last vessel, Terry also has a motorsailor. Made an awful lot of sense to me.

Once again, a pleasure to serve with you and Grace. I look forward to your arrival in Beaufort. I think if I get started now, I can get "Patience" looking semi-civilized for you to see! Until then, Shipmate, Fairwinds and smooth seas, Double Dutch

This is great info folks. I need the name of the guns on the Nykle, if anyone knows them.

If a given crew has not named thier gun, sorry, we can;t have any 'un named' guns in the tune. They may get lumped in one catagory ( such as all them other guns).

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

The lad from the Nykle who helped with the land crews is Tucker Cobey (what a great name!)

I am still working on getting the other names from the Nykle, waiting to hear from a forwarded email. I t has been four days but I am giving it a few more days because if the contact is on the ship he may not have access to his email.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So it is time to unveil the new tune at last, "The Guns of Hampton". We'll be performing it for the first time, appropriately enough, at the

Pirates Ball at the Blackbeard Festical in Hampton. I think the various crews and ships will get a charge out of the song, we managed to get every gun listed into the lyrics, no easy feat given that none of the rhyme!

We hope you all like it!

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

WAIT! Ye know I am always late to such festivities...any idea what time yer singing this? (Yeah I AM a pain in the arse...)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Sterling, your reputation preceeds you! Never have a care, though, we'll do it later in the evening.

Aye, my reputation usually arrives whilst the food is still being served.. :D

Thank ye Captain!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

I like the song. I too like the part where we got to yell out "Guns of Hampton, ROAR!"

It's been my current earworm for about a day now... hahahaha

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Chaos, one of the prime considerations for a Brigands tune... does it stick? Does it reverberate in your head for a few days? If the answer is yes, then we consider it for adding to our song list. If you think that one has glue, try listening to 'Pirate's Way'. That one was in my head for weeks, so of course we added it.

Glad you like it, though.

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

one of the prime considerations for a Brigands tune... does it stick?

Oh t'is stuck all right...

Crewe of the Archangel