Pipe Smoking

I'm curious, who here smokes and what? I smoke all natural sun dried American tobacco in a brier wood pipe and I also smoke, on special occasions, Grenadier cigars. The pipe I started smoking because of my grandpa, the cigars I started smoking because of my brother. Also I found out General Patton smoked the same type of cigar so that made me like them a little more. Once I smoke the cigar down enough, I split it open and smoke the remaining tobacco through my pipe.

I tried cigarettes, I didn't really care for them. When I did try them I smoked "Capri"(something my brother smokes) and I tried Marlboro due to my uncle. Neither of them compare to the pipe or the cigar. I also tried Swisher Sweets "Cigarillos," I call them cigarette/cigar half-breeds. They wannabe cigars, but they ain't.

So what do you smoke?

I'm a hand roller

035260.jpg

and

pure-hemp-small-rizlas.jpg

But I use a clay pipe and snuff for my 18thC 'nacting

I recently invested in one of this ladies pipes but I'd like a case before I venture out with it.

Snuff suppliers who also do Flake plug and twist for pipes.

Fribourg & Treyer Snuff

Site on pipe makers marks

Page of pipe evolution

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

That all looks good. I'll have to see about getting a clay pipe when I can, that would look better with my outfit too. More fitting for the time period.

I forgot to mention that I do have a corncob pipe. I smoke the corncob while I'm at home or while I'm letting the brier wood dry and I smoke the brier pipe while I'm out or letting the corncob dry. I don't use a filter and I read somewhere that switching pipes like so is a good way to take care of them in place of replacing the filters.

I like to smoke a clay pipe most times when I'm out at events. I like them even when I'm not. Most of them I get from the vendors at events. I had a really nice pipe from Sanctuary Traders (http://www.sanctuarytraders.com/) that I found in Fort Frederick Market Faire.

As for tobacco, I used to get some nice stuff from an online store called PipeRoom but they seem to have gone away. I now go to a local tobacco shop and find some I like.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Kilo -

"Once I smoke the cigar down enough, I split it open and smoke the remaining tobacco through my pipe."

Yech... that's the worst, all that concentrated crap... leave the stub for your local hobo! :lol:

Try some Captain Black (white pouch) pipe tobacco. ;)

These days I prefer a cigar usually with a 50+ ring size.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Kilo -

"Once I smoke the cigar down enough, I split it open and smoke the remaining tobacco through my pipe."

Yech... that's the worst, all that concentrated crap... leave the stub for your local hobo! :lol:

Try some Captain Black (white pouch) pipe tobacco. ;)

These days I prefer a cigar usually with a 50+ ring size.

Jas. Hook

thanks for that we appreciate it!

i smoke a savinelli clarks favorite through winter when i've got more pockets. in summer i don't smoke much (too hot here in the old dominion) but i'm learning to roll so that may do for that.

Matthew "Short Thumb" Walker

Here's a litle ditty for all you users of the leaf -

"Tobacco doth an Indian weed,

from the Devil it doth proceed,

It picks your pocket and burns your clothes,

and makes a chimney of your nose."

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

I smoke an occasional cheroot and I have a skull shaped meerschaum pipe which I adore! I really want a double cigar holder like Captain Hook uses though. Do you have one Jas Hook?

doubleholder.gif

No M'lady Hook with an 'e'. Ner' a single nor double have I. Why I haven't spied many holders over the past few years, them hav'n fallen into disfavor. I do recall some nifty ones carved out of meerschaum though, as well as many meerschaum pipes. The one meerschaum I treasure to this day is the one that M'lady gave to me as a personal wedding gift thirty-five years ago.

Hummmmm... a carved skull ye say. Could start a trend here and sort of replace the hot-as-hades clay pipes. :lol:

Jas. Hook

I first began smoking a pipe in '61 or '62 the first one was a walnut burl pipe carved for me by my great grandfather; it was a one piece pipe with two ears on the underside of the bowl so it would stand and keep lit while working in his cabinet shop. It worked much better than cigarettes, when I first was working the fishing boats in Scotland if you turned it over in the rain or in heavy seas it would usually stay lit even with the spray. I had that pipe until just a few years ago when it was nicked in a coffee shop when I went to the gents ......Really pissed me off :o

I prefer a string cut whiskee cured tobacco.

Thanks for all your replies, I wasn't expecting much activity in this thread.

Hook, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "concentrated crap" from a cigar. In my experience, it tastes just as good in the pipe as it did when I first lit one up and alternatively I can use it to sweeten the tobacco I have if the two blend well. I will try finding some Captain Black when I can, it's added to a list of tobaccos to track down, and thank you for that ditty. Perhaps I'll write something about tobacco as well...

Sorry to hear about your loss, Callenish. It seems you can't leave anything you own out of your sight in public anywhere. There's always somebody looking to snag something nice as soon as they get the chance to.

Thanks for all your replies, I wasn't expecting much activity in this thread.

Hook, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "concentrated crap" from a cigar...

Admiral Kilo -

All of the by-products from combustion of tobacco. :D:D

Jas. Hook

ah it is a shame to hear of you loss, sir. but have you perchance looked in the good captain sterlings pockets? now if you'll excuse me i must be running i hear the bos'n has a new whip!

j/k j/k i say!

Matty -

:D Oh baby, after that comment, they're not even goin' give ye a wide plank to walk if the Bos'n catches ye. :D :D

Jas. Hook

Admiral Kilo -

All of the by-products from combustion of tobacco. :D:D

Jas. Hook

Ah, that. No, I cut that bit off. It's the tobacco behind that which I put into my pipe. If it's blackened, I consider it used and so not salvageable.

Normally when I have a cigar I'll smoke it down until there is about an inch and a half to two inches left. After that, I cut off the smoked pieces and dissect the cigar to salvage the pieces of tobacco that are still unused. This way I enjoy the cigar to the fullest and waste nothing, but I also don't get a mouthful of blech...

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The Lady from Dawnmist has been busy over the summer banging out a good range of GAoP claypipes

Things of beauty =o) http://www.dawnmist.demon.co.uk/pipesale.htm She's doing colours other than white too

Like these red clays similar to those found at Port Royal

dawnmist%2017th%20century%20style%20red%20pipes%20by%20heather%20coleman.jpg

dawnmist%20mariners%20pipe.jpg

dawnmist%2017th%20century%20style%20black%20pipes%20by%20heather%20coleman.jpg

dawnmist%20mulberry%20clay%20pipe.jpg

dawnmist%20pirate%20medallion%20pipe.jpg

dawnmist%20studio%20english%201700%20clay%20pipes.jpg

There are more at the site I pasted up at the top, I do own a couple of this Ladies pipes but I'm not on commission just thought them worth sharing.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.