The Steampunk's Forge

Admiral Kilo

I've decided, with much gratitude to Patrick Hand, to start setting up a hopefully inexpensive workshop for making my steampunk equipment. Since I'll be just starting out with this for the most part, I thought I'd make a thread to discuss the tools and set up often used for these projects and perhaps projects that are similar. It's just forge discussion in general. So far, here is a list I have in no particular order of things to get and some things I already have.

• Propane Torch
  • Dremel
  • Grinder
  • Propane Tank
  • Drill
  • Hammers
  • Knives
  • Carving tools
  • Saw
  • Anvil
  • Workbench
  • Some miscellaneous equipment for specific projects
  • And red bull or coffee(caffeine fuels the imagination)

Is there anything I'm missing? Any advice you have? Or just anything you do differently?

Edited by Admiral Kilo

if you want forge advice try iforgeiron,com or anvilfire.com...knives/swords google don fogg as i cant remember the address ...in my opinion those are the best sites... and

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

Edited by adam cyphers

Here at metal wackers forge.....um....well... we wack metal.

http://www.colonialseaport.org/

http://www.creweofthearchangel.com/

http://www.blackbeardscrew.org/

Safety is a very good tip. Workshop advice and any opinions at all are also appreciated, by the way.

I learned the importance of proper safety precautions when I first started wood burning. I made the mistake of working while tired, my hand slipped and the burner met one of my fingers just long enough to leave a blister. Ever since then I have kept the necessary medical equipment handy just in case that happens again. A glass of ice water, tube of burn cream and a band-aid, preferably applied in that order.

Yes, brass is definitely important. And wood, and leather, and depending on the project maybe some rope and tubing.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I bookmarked those links you provided and will be checking them out when I have more time. Thanks, Adam.

Edited by Admiral Kilo

One thing I find neccesarry in my workshop is clear tuberware containers that are stackable. I hav so many little gears and old clock parts and bits of machinery that they are constantly getting lost or mixed up with my GAOP gear. Also maks for a quick inventory bfore I hit the flea market. I can glance real quick and know if I need to buy heavy on candlesticks or old door knockers and light fixtures or if I'm running low on little decor items like buttons, screws, tubbing or old wires and fixtures.

No problem. Wal Mart carries them for cheap. I buy the three drawer cabniet one myself. You can also find the clear storage compartments at yard sales and thrift stores alot as well. another tool I found that is usefull when working on steampunk projects is a telescoping magnet like the one you find in an IT computer repair kit. I have dropped little bits of metal and screws and such so many times on the carpet and would never have found them again if it wasn't for this tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Safety glasses. Can not emphasize that enough...

A bunch of dental picks.

I'm also a fan of using layout dye and a scribe for planning stuff before I grind, cut, etc...

Small pin punches are also useful.

Safety glasses and welding goggles both, although I may get a welding mask instead. Or possibly all three. I'll just see how things go.

I signed up for a welding course at the college I'll be attending in September, so I'll be taught the proper safety precautions and whatnot then.

• 4 months later...

With us we use clear drawers instead of bins. But make sure you get drawers that pull completely out so stuff doesn't hide. We also have these carry cases that are like those clear plastic cases with dividers but each little section is a separate cup... Tough to describe but they are brilliant! You can close the lid and carry it around, nothing falls out and the cups each come out so you can pour small parts out of them without tipping the whole thing.

When we do prop building panels we always stress ventilation. Never work in an enclosed area where fumes and dust can do you in.

The shop we work in here in BC and the one we had back in Toronto both had tables and equipment on locakable wheeled platforms so that if something needed to be moved around it could. Comes in handy.

Screws and screws drivers - flathead... If you are looking for the Victorian feel it may be noted that flathead screws were the screws of the time. We order from a distributor in order to keep costs down and make sure we get the perfect dome brass screws for the look.

Ratchets and Ratchet sets.. We use those a lot.

Ummmmm......

Bolts, nuts, rivets.. Really depends on what you are doing and making....

That's what comes to my mind in my half awake state.

Later.

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg