Fop Rock

Karadimos

I came across the term 'Fop Rock' on wikipedia because I was looking at some info on Adam Ant. So let me give you guys a definition: "A more recent and minor trend is "fop-rock," in which the performers don 18th century wigs, lace cravats, and similar costumes to perform, a minor movement that would appear to owe something to glam rock, visual kei, and the New Romantic movement. Adam Ant of Adam and the Ants would seem to be a forerunner of the trend, who occasionally performed in elaborate highwayman outfits. Other notable examples would be Falco's performance as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in the song "Rock Me Amadeus," a #1 hit in the US and the UK, and #2 in Canada in 1986, and Boston-based band The Upper Crust."

Do any of you guys listen to Fop Rock?

I'm a big Adam Ant fan myself and I have a few Falco songs.

Oh here we go...a video

Edited by Karadimos

I'm trying to set up a real Pirate-themed town...somewhere. I need some help with it.

Sorry... but that was way too funny..... :P

Yeah... someone use to post a buncha pictures of Adam Ant in alla his fop clothing......

Fop Rock... hmm... interesting. Never heard of this term before. Occassionally there are some Symphonic Rock bands who have a member or two that dress in that style for one or two music vids... just like they do a formal style or goth... or grunge.

Interesting.

Alas, never heard of Adam Ant.

I do remember "Rock Me, Amadeus". Occassionally... that song is still played on the radio.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

What?! Never heard of Adam Ant?! Adam was one of the major punk movement players - back when it was Adam and the Ants, then due to fights amongst band members it was switched to Adam Ant.

Check these out. You might have heard or seen them, but just never realized who it was.

Stand and Deliver

I'm trying to set up a real Pirate-themed town...somewhere. I need some help with it.

One cannot allow Adam and the Ants to be mentioned without also discussing their seminal pirate song, "Jolly Roger".

"Of all the pirates on the sea

The worst of them was Blackbeard,

So damnable a beast from Hell

He was the one they most feared.

Any man who sailed with him was taking quite a chance,

He'd hang him from the gallows just to see if he could dance,

Ha Ha!"

Show me another rock song, anywhere and from any time, that uses the term "damnable". I defy you!

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants