Period Glass

Jas. Hook

What would be a suitable (pc) glass replacement for a flat panel lantern. I've seen some speckled 'seeded glass' that look good but...

Any thoughts?

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

A sheet of thin cow horn would do less likely to bust but v. stinky if the candle falls on it.

Grymm -

I've seen horn in smaller lanterns. The replacement size I need would take a couple o' Texas Longhorns and I also haven't found any mica sheets the right size. :P

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

as a glass blower, the things i would look for in a period peice of glass would be seed bubbles, a greenish tint, inconsistant thickness, and a size no more than 12 inches. and 12 inch glass would be very expensive.the glass should be a soda lime glass, that is to say, somewhat soft to the touch, it feels slightly slippery, and softish when compaired to modern glass.

the best place to get a replacement pannel would be a glass blowing facility. i happen to have access to one and the knowledge to make said glass. if you send me the demensions you are looking at then i can see what it would require to make it.

Matthew "Short Thumb" Walker

as a glass blower, the things i would look for in a period peice of glass would be seed bubbles, a greenish tint, inconsistant thickness, and a size no more than 12 inches. and 12 inch glass would be very expensive.the glass should be a soda lime glass, that is to say, somewhat soft to the touch, it feels slightly slippery, and softish when compaired to modern glass.

the best place to get a replacement pannel would be a glass blowing facility. i happen to have access to one and the knowledge to make said glass. if you send me the demensions you are looking at then i can see what it would require to make it.

Matty -

I checked out some commercial on-line places an was poleaxed by the silver required for a light green blown seeded glass.

Each piece was like a bottle o' Kraken an a half. It didn't sound too bad at .22 per sq. in. till ye add up the squares. dry.gif

3 6x8 1 5x7.5

Considering the lantern was only 10 with ripple glass lens. :P

Jas. Hook

Not period in the least but when I needed a replacment lens that size I decided to make a stain glass style lens out of broken rolling rock and heinikin bottles. It turned out great regardles of it not being "correct" and the glass has a very unique glow to it.

LOL :P

The early version of a neon bar sign.

Jas. Hook

so 3 peices at 6x8 and 1 peice at 5 x 7.5?

the glass that i'm talking about gfet it's coloration from a slight amount of iron oxide in the batch (glass mixture) this is new world glass i'm talking about here. jamestown settlement to be specific. so the price should be nowhere near what you're qouting. silver should be unnessasary.

as for size that seems just fine. i might be able to make these panes for you but it would depend on your location, as shipping glass is troublesome.

alright alright enough of this...lol ill get you some wavy seeded glass master hook.might not have the green tint to it.free of charge too.me and matty are in va...where might you be? 3 pcs 6"x8" 1pcs 5" x 7 1/2" ....unless we dont have any in the glass shop.ill let ya know in a bit

Edited by adam cyphers

Here at metal wackers forge.....um....well... we wack metal.

http://www.colonialseaport.org/

http://www.creweofthearchangel.com/

http://www.blackbeardscrew.org/

alright alright enough of this...lol ill get you some wavy seeded glass master hook.might not have the green tint to it.free of charge too.me and matty are in va...where might you be? 3 pcs 6"x8" 1pcs 5" x 7 1/2" ....unless we dont have any in the glass shop.ill let ya know in a bit

Matty/Adam -

On Long Island, NY we be.

Jas. Hook

• 3 weeks later...

Matty,

SODA GLASS

Can you post any photos or links to what this soda glass looks like?

And what is the general pricing on this type of glass for 2" square sizes?

MICA

I coated my lantern lights [glass panes] with lick layers of orange shellac to try to duplicate the appearance of mica. It's better than just clear glass, but still not quite there. I have since bought a few little modern mica lampshades in an antique mall and will cut the mica to size for my lantern. Sometimes you see mica for sale on Ebay, or you might see it online by places that sell lamp-making parts --- especially for the Arts & Crafts Style of lamps. Cool stuff.

COW HORN

Where can thin sheets of cow horn be found and purchased?

TRANSLUCENT PAPER

I think thick, waxed paper was also used in lanterns. Mix beeswax with turpentine and brush it on a thck paper or card stock, and it makes the paper translucent. I would be concerned about the waxed paper accidentally catching fire though. I've tried it as an experiment, and it works. But it's not nearly as bright of a light as clear glass. Neither is mica.

Anyway, I like and prefer the idea of an authentic, period glow from lanterns to give that authentic ambience.

Anyone else have any suggestions for period looking lantern lights?

-Tar Bucket Bill

If you have a stained glass supply place near you, you should be able to look at various samples until you find one that looks correct and have it cut to size.

Now I did it. I started doing a bit of research on the history of window glass.

It seems for our time period there would have been maybe about 3 different production styles of glass produced for the intended use in windows.

1] Broad Sheet Glass

2] Crown Glass [sometimes referred to as Bullion Glass]

3] an early form of cydrindrical glass

Do any of the historic-minded glass blowers produce Broad Sheet Glass or Crown Glass?

Each of these have a very distinctive appearance.

Matty, do you produce either of these types of glass?

-Tar Bucket Bill

• 2 weeks later...

well, the way i would produce these types of glass would be as rondells. i don't have the techniques for sheet glass, and i'm not sure what crown or boullion glass is. i'd need links to see what it looks like and whether i could reproduce it. i can produce rondells quickly and with out much heatache, and i know for a fact that the are period as my instructer was and is a jamestown glassblower. his name is chad clark, you can look him up. rondells limit the size that i can manage to perhaps 12 inches circular. the process involves literally spinning a round bottomed cup untill it becomes a flat plate. the glass i has access to is fairly clear soft glass. it has a slight greenish tint to it when it has more than 1/2 inch of thickness. i can add small amounts of color to it to cerate a more greenish tint which would be more accurate. as for seed bubbles, the best i can do for that is to take my gathers from the furnace before the batch melts fully, thus giving me seed glass, but there is an increased chance of trash in the gather. trash being potstones from the furnace.

bill: i will work up some samples and get some pics up asap.

Edited by matty short thumb

• 4 weeks later...

<<well, the way i would produce these types of glass would be as rondells.>>

The process you use to make 'rondells' sounds like the process used to make 'bullion' [or 'crown'] glass that I have recently read about. I don't really know the different glass blowing terminology at all, but maybe 'rondells' are the same as 'bullion' and 'crown' glass.

If I am remembering correctly, stuff that I have read recently online said that the outer edges of this type of glass was used for making leadlights for casement windows and such, because the outer edges were flatter and less wavy, etc. But only small pieces of flat glass could be made from these circular pieces --- usually in 2-inch squares or lozenges. The center circular part was used for decorative purposes since it was a little more difficult to use for pieces to see through as well as flat pieces.

If I remember correctly, I think a form of "Broadsheet" glass was made by first blowing a cylinder, then cutting off the ends to make it a tube, then cutting the tube lengthwise once and then unrolling the tube and laying it out flat on a hot, flat iron plate.

Other than those two methods, I have not found any other method that was used during the late 1600s for making flat glass for windows. A 12 by 12 inch size piece of flat clear glass was a real luxury I guess. And a mirror of that size was REALLY a huge luxury.

<<bill: i will work up some samples and get some pics up asap.>>

I look forward to seeing them!

-Tar Bucket Bill