The Mercury Crew Cookbook

Some very good food has been had at recent Mercury events, so this thread is provided to all the crew for the recipes we've shared. Feel free to add your favorites both past and present.

Beef Burgundy

2 slices of bacon, chopped

2 lbs sirloin or round steak, cut into 1" cubes

1/4 cup flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

1/4 tsp. marjoram

1/4 tsp. thyme

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 clove garlic, minced

1 beef bouillon cube, crushed or about 1 tsp. beef base

1 cup burgundy wine

2 Tbsp cornstarch (optional)

Cook bacon several minutes. Remove and set aside. Coat beef flour and brown on all sides in bacon drippings. Combine steak, bacon drippings, cooked bacon, seasonings, bouillon and burgundy in pot. Cover and slowly simmer 6-8 hours. To thicken gravy dissolve cornstarch in 2 Tbsp. cold water and add to pot. Cook an additional 3 minutes or until thickened.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Jerky

3 lbs. flank steak or round steak

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 cup soy sauce

garlic powder to taste

1 1/2 Tbsp. salt

1/2 cup Worcerstershire

1 tsp. coarse ground pepper

Cut beef into strips about 1/4" thick. Mix the remaining ingredients and soak the beef strips for at least 2 hours. Remove and towel off, then place in the dehydrator for 8-10 hours or in the oven at 120 degrees for 8-10 hours. The jerky is done when it breaks when bent

More like cook bacon...eat it, then cook more for the actual meal... or at least try to without eating it all first...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hispaniola Beef

1 1/2 lbs. round steak cut in bite size pieces*

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

1 Tbsp. chili powder

1 Tbsp. prepared mustard

1 chopped onion

1 beef bouillon cube, crushed or 1 tsp. beef base

1 - 16 oz. can tomatoes, chopped

1 - 16 oz. can kidney beans, drained

Mix meat, salt, pepper, chili powder and mustard in pot. Cover with onions, bouillon and tomatoes. Top with beans. Cover and simmer slowly for 6-8 hours.

*Hamburger was substituted for round steak when prepared at Fort de Chartres.

More like cook bacon...eat it, then cook more for the actual meal... or at least try to without eating it all first...

Janet was careful to cook bacon while most of us were distracted by other things or away from camp. A prudent move when cooking bacon around armed pirates.

Beef & Mashed Potatoes

As described by Janet.

I took rump roast and sirloin roast (you can use any roast) and slow cooked it with onions, lawry’s seasoned salt, pepper and beef stock on 200 degrees for 10 hours or until it is real tender depending upon your oven. Then I shredded it off the bone. You can experiment with adding any spices you want such as rosemary, thyme, parsley really anything..even red wine.

When I got to forte de charte I put it in the dutch oven then poured some beef gravy in and put mash potatoes on top. That was it. The only thing I would do different is add more gravy. The dutch oven soaked up the gravy so it was a little dry.

Janet was careful to cook bacon while most of us were distracted by other things or away from camp. A prudent move when cooking bacon around armed pirates.

Ohhh smart woman!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/