Future Airships

Admiral Kilo

Due to a failing economy with little hope for recovery and a history to support the possibility of future failure even after recovery, I think it is possible that piracy may someday see another golden age. Regardless of that, what do you think about the possibility of sky pirates someday becoming a reality?

Whether it is steam, heat, or electricity that fuels the ship, airships are possible. I don't mean just planes, I mean dirigibles and flying fortresses. The Germans actually would have had one in WW2, if not for a problem with using hydrogen(from what I was told).

If ever my fleet were to take to the seas, at least one airship could be convenient for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, as far as plundering or battling, they may not be so efficient due to modern anti-air technology(missiles, fighter planes, etc.) unless a proper defense were also set up upon the aircraft(anti-missiles and some type of anti-aircraft defense).

Mostly a flying fortress would probably be for stashing our loot and riches while also being a good place for pirates on leave. A dirigible might be a nice lift for some ships, vehicles, and other tools and goodies. Other aircrafts, such as modern fighter planes and transports, could be held in a hanger on an airship designed for it, the problem is setting up one that would be strong enough for the engines to not melt the metal and long/large enough for them to land again.

What are your opinions?

EDIT: Even though this is about airships and thus sky pirates/sailors, would this thread belong in the shipyard?

Edited by Admiral Kilo

EDIT: Even though this is about airships and thus sky pirates/sailors, would this thread belong in the shipyard?

Nah... the shipyard is about wooden sailing ships.... you are talking about possible futures for airships... so it fits here perfectly.

Just me two cents...

Steampunk is playing with an alternative future/past ....

In the History/version that I am playing with... Airship Pyracy works (they never built the transcontentntal railroad, And North America is split into many different factions/states)

The only way I can see airship Pyracy ever working is if somehow jet fighters and thier armourment stoped working....

or something like that..... ;)

I could see it also working if a good enough defense could be made against them, but even then if the airship relies on anything like an air balloon it would only take one well placed bullet or even more effectively a missile to bring it down. Still, it's nice to dream. lol

Thank you, Jill. That's pretty cool. I thought if airships were to be used it would be by somebody other than the Army, such as a future generation of pirates or some rich steampunks, but I was also thinking of a different design of airship. The concept art of those prototype blimps looks pretty cool.

This thread wasn't where I intended to post this, but while discussing various airships, mostly zeppelins, my brother and Ilooked up some pics of airships and found a fleet exactly like what I wish I could lead. Battleships, submarines(not entirely sure why),aircraft carriers, it's got it all and they all fly. If my alternate reality could be made a reality, it would look something like this.

sci-fi-spaceship-41875.jpg

EDIT: I do realize my alternate reality is a fantasy. I just find it relaxing to dream about. My brother, being more the scientific type, already explained why this is most likely impossible, but even he did confess it would be awesome.

Edited by Admiral Kilo

Aye, I keep forgetting that I don't have to clarify that I'm not insane here. lol, I've been picked on tremendously in the past for being so imaginative. The imagination is the best tool of an author though, no imagination means no story production.